Airfix Beaufighter 1/72nd

Dave_R

Hi All,

With all my other builds languishing in a painting bottleneck, I'm going to get on with the next Radial Engined build.

35990324690_6c94b69048_b.jpg

36169739620_d0da2022e0_b.jpg

I'm going to do it in the SEAC markings.  It should be quite straightforward.

Dave.

• Like 5

Don't forget to sand off the bumps on the upper surface of the wings, between the nacelles and the fuselage. These were a late-war/post-war addition.

Looking good so far.

Chris

• Like 1

It's amazing how quickly you can reach this stage with this kit.  Check your references for the fairings above the wings: my (limited) research suggests that these were introduced on Beaufighters with serials in the RDxxx range, built in late 1944 -early 1945, which your SEAC example is.  You might, however, need to delete the gun camera fairing from the port wing (between oil cooler intake and landing light): again check your references.

Hi Chris, Steve,

Thanks for the input

I'm going to be using the decals for RD367 and the instructions date it to June/August 1945.  I could only find one picture on-line of RD367 and that was no help, but the RAF Museum Beaufighter is numbered RD253 and it has both wing bulges and gun camera (of course this may not be it's original markings). But if some info does turn up later it'll be easier to remove than to put them back, So for now they stay.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why don't you just use cheap household masking tape torn in to pieces to fit in between the blu tak spaghetti? Thats what I do and when painting is done peel of the tape while separating from the blu tak. Fiddly but better than use up all that tak!

On 9/29/2017 at 7:54 PM, Paul J said:

Why don't you just use cheap household masking tape torn in to pieces to fit in between the blu tak spaghetti? Thats what I do and when painting is done peel of the tape while separating from the blu tak. Fiddly but better than use up all that tak!

Oh, that Blu-Tack isn't used and thrown away - that's less than 25 pence worth and it'll do at least another couple of years of masking work.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I've got some of the decals on, done a bit more painting and added a few bits like the rocket racks and machine gun..

38491360672_d3f1de2879_b.jpg

24650990918_c849f88f70_b.jpg

Next is my pet hate - stencils :sleep_1: about 40 to be put on - I might manage a few a day then move on.

Dave.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...