This is the final of my triple build of the classic Monogram Century series, I've posted the F-102, and F-101 earlier, but they are lost in the PB fiasco.  Anyway this is the earliest of the them all, modelwise, seeing the light of day in the 1983 and yet I think it is the best fitting of the three.

Michigan Guard F-106 11

Michigan Guard F-106 2

Pretty much out of the box apart from a Master Probe, which given the number of times I knocked it during the build was a necessity and a set of the always excellent Caracal decals for a Michigan ANG machine, which sits nicely with another Revell Monogram oldie, my F-4C which where the same unit markings.

Michigan Guard F-106 3

Michigan Guard F-106 4

Now for something smaller...

Thanks for looking.

• Like 30

Wow, what a great plane! WOW 

Have you had to deal with raised panel lines etc?

My only suggestion is, make her a set of wheel chocks.

Sorry your other threads went to the wall- I love a good  Voodoo, searched high and low for the monogram Century series kit. One day......

There again, I could look out for a 106 instead. 

• Like 1

Hi,

this 106 really looks good. If I ever finish the one I started in the early Pleistocene, I want to use the same decals you have.

If you say this kit is the best fitting of the three, I definitely do not want to see the other two! In my book the fit sucks like I have seldom seen in my life! There is so much sanding required that re-scribing becomes mandatory. So one day I will take a look again at my half-built model and tell myself the other kits are worse.

Despite all my gripe, I really like what you have achieved!!!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I didn't re-scribe just took the raised lines down so only a 'ghost' image remained then used pre and post shading to break up the uniformity. The 'ghost' lines remain visible to outline the access panels etc. Not perfect but it works for me. 

IMHO opinion the F-106 is the best engineered, though I did use sprue sections as spacers to widen the upper fuselage to get  abetter fit, the F-102 is the next best and the F-101 trails a long way behind.  

This is my old Voodoo post and while the pictures are no more there is some useful advice for Jeanton)1 about building the Voodoo, which I will think is worth sharing.

I found both the F106 and the F-101 easily at model shows Ian at Kits for Cash had them at Newcastle this year. Wheel chocks, now that's a good idea. I used a great picture in an old book as a reference and looking at it now I see them.

• Like 1

Hello all ... first let me say this. Beautiful model 👍 of a great kit. Now let me say this as a modeler that started in 1979. I have built and still search for old monogram models. I build them as soon as i can find them. The detail is pretty good even by todays shake-n-bake standards. There biggest fault is the raised detail but that was the limits of moulding technology when the moulds were made. Now just as Silver fox pointed out i also sand the lines down to a very Minimal height.

Now for the fit i've built both original Monogram and Revellogram repops of several kits. The quality went down to a minor degree in the 1990's era of original repops from monogram. That was because Monogram was struggling to stay afloat. Then way down right after Revell of germany first repopped the monogram stuff in the 2000's that was because RoG had the kits moulded in china with no QC and very sub par plastic. There is a WIP monogram F-14 build as i speak that is dealing with one of these kits as i write this. I believe that was a twofold problem first revell was taking on its parent company with severe debt issues. Two they used poor quality plastic and quality control at the time. In the spirit of fairness as an american that has modeled for almost 40 years. I can say Revell of Germany had a very poor reputation here in America through the 80's and 90's because the quality just wasnt there. The plastic was soft or brittle. The moulds sometimes short shot and the were painfully cheap $ cost wise for something made in Germany. In the 1990's RoG began changing there quality standards. Improving plastics, quality, and moulds and thats how they were able to support there parent company Monogram and eventually absorb them.

Now i have nothing against the Tamigawa style of shake and bakes. But the cost is prohibitive to someone like myself who has to adhere to a strict budget to build them exclusively. I build them when i can get them. Just not always my first choice. Until Trumpeter, Hobby boss, and Kitty hawk came on the scene no one else took on 1/48 subjects like the century series or other 1950's subjects. But let me remind you we call ourselves modelers not assemblers. Sadly and quite frankly we have become spoiled by the high quality of the Tamigawa style of kits and the mountains of AM bits that exist now. Let me remind you before Verlinden there was no such thing as AM Resin, etch, or white medal. We had to make everything from scratch & something i still try to do when i can. So much so that we as a community have for the most part have taken a collective 💩 on all that which came before. I think if you call yourself a modeler then i say take up the challenge and work with those horrid monogram kits. You might just be surprised by what you can build with a little sweat equity in those old kits. 

• Like 2

Very nice result, I do like how these aircraft were a great canvas for some of the colour schemes they had applied to them.

Maybe it's that ADC grey that does it. Anyway, you have more tha done it justice. Well done.

• Like 1

Another nice one Andy,just a pity they were not regular visitors to the UK.

I only saw 2 transiting Prestwick in the early sixties en route to the Paris air show and I believe this was the only time they visited the UK.

Ian

Hello,Andy - I agree with the richly-deserved plaudits you've already received.Your 'Dart' looks every inch the beauty she is.

The Michigan ANG scheme is one of my favourites from the glorious 'colourful' days and plan on doing a Phantom in this scheme myself.

Great work on a great kit and subject.I love these Monogram products.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello all ... first let me say this. Beautiful model 👍 of a great kit. Now let me say this as a modeler that started in 1979. I have built and still search for old monogram models. I build them as soon as i can find them. The detail is pretty good even by todays shake-n-bake standards. There biggest fault is the raised detail but that was the limits of moulding technology when the moulds were made. Now just as Silver fox pointed out i also sand the lines down to a very Minimal height.

Now for the fit i've built both original Monogram and Revellogram repops of several kits. The quality went down to a minor degree in the 1990's era of original repops from monogram. That was because Monogram was struggling to stay afloat. Then way down right after Revell of germany first repopped the monogram stuff in the 2000's that was because RoG had the kits moulded in china with no QC and very sub par plastic. There is a WIP monogram F-14 build as i speak that is dealing with one of these kits as i write this. I believe that was a twofold problem first revell was taking on its parent company with severe debt issues. Two they used poor quality plastic and quality control at the time. In the spirit of fairness as an american that has modeled for almost 40 years. I can say Revell of Germany had a very poor reputation here in America through the 80's and 90's because the quality just wasnt there. The plastic was soft or brittle. The moulds sometimes short shot and the were painfully cheap $ cost wise for something made in Germany. In the 1990's RoG began changing there quality standards. Improving plastics, quality, and moulds and thats how they were able to support there parent company Monogram and eventually absorb them.

Now i have nothing against the Tamigawa style of shake and bakes. But the cost is prohibitive to someone like myself who has to adhere to a strict budget to build them exclusively. I build them when i can get them. Just not always my first choice. Until Trumpeter, Hobby boss, and Kitty hawk came on the scene no one else took on 1/48 subjects like the century series or other 1950's subjects. But let me remind you we call ourselves modelers not assemblers. Sadly and quite frankly we have become spoiled by the high quality of the Tamigawa style of kits and the mountains of AM bits that exist now. Let me remind you before Verlinden there was no such thing as AM Resin, etch, or white medal. We had to make everything from scratch & something i still try to do when i can. So much so that we as a community have for the most part have taken a collective 💩 on all that which came before. I think if you call yourself a modeler then i say take up the challenge and work with those horrid monogram kits. You might just be surprised by what you can build with a little sweat equity in those old kits. 

Well-put, sir! There are modelers, a rapidly dying breed, and there are assemblers....sad to say, some of us model builders, myself included, sometimes are seduced by the 'dark side' and whine and complain if a new release isn't perfect in every way. We need to remember where most of us  came from- a Frog or Airfix kit, a ton of putty, sandpaper, and stretched sprue!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks 72modeller ... again If no one believes me. I say look at the 1/48 monogram Tiffy in this RFI. It appeared about a week ago and was one of the best looking kits I've personally seen in my years of modeling. Again this is a superb 106 and should be applauded.