Hesco barriers

Julien

Get some pe mesh and bag of model railway ballast and make your own?

• Like 1

You could use this kit or something similar as it contains a netting type sheet.  Cut to the size you want and I would then get some cheap sports tape and apply it to one side with over-hang at the top, bend to shape fold over the tape to form a lip and stuff anything onto the bottom.  I would then fill it about 2/3 with plaster and the rest with fine sand.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pfeiffer-15cm-plaster-repair-wall-patch_p1660009  

there is a page on armorama but it isn't displaying the pictures but I did save them to  a power point, if you send me your e-mail address I shall forward it on to you.

ET Models make a couple of sets with different etched brass mesh cages, but AFAIK no liner bag.  There are now several companies making that type of product: HESCO was first and probably still best.

Voyager make a set with etched brass mesh and a fabric liner - you add your own fill, just like the real thing.  As noted above, model railway ballast is probably most economical. You could put a false floor in so that you only need a thin layer of fill.

Royal Model do some resin ones, but RM products are typically expensive.  I have seen some unbranded resin ones on eBay but I suspect they are home-cast knock-offs of one of the branded products.

There are types of barrier that don't have the mesh cages, relying instead on a cellular fabric structure to contain the fill and the fill itself to provide the strength for stacking.  I think DefenCell may be one of these.  Different countries use different makes of product, so check your photos.  Your photo with the PzH2000 looks like HESCO to me.

Edited by Das Abteilung
correction

RT Dioramas do a set of 10 for €10 https://www.rt-diorama.de/english/to-the-shop/modern-combat-new/

MAiM also do a set for the same price https://www.modernarmies-in-miniatures.de/barrier-container-set-1-1-35_maim-brmodern-armies-in-miniatures-front46_maim35012.html

Both based in Germany and post is not too bad. I've used MAiM before and like their stuff. Not used RT but will try them soon

• 2 months later...

How about carving the entire wall section from one solid piece?

Use a fine grain wood and measure off the individual sections.

Carve the seams and replicate the mesh look with fine gauze or fabric.

Finish off by adding gravel/litter of your choice to the tops of the visible  barriers.

It has to be cheaper.

G

I think Agent G might have hit on something here. 

Timber is relatively cheap from DIY stores, cutting is straightforward especially if you have a mitre block or mitre saw.  As for the bag texture, I'm thinking something like cream 90gsm bond paper wrapped around the blocks with a lap join at one corner.  Posh paper you can find in stationers: if you have a branch of The Range near you, they have small packs quite cheaply.  It's stiff enough to have an upstand around the edge of the block (which tissue paper is not) which you can fill with whatever fill material takes your fancy.

Making a long run as a single block may look too regular.  And you'd have to work out how to deal with the joins between the cells.

Here's what I'm thinking. When you look at the completed wall, the sides of the filled bastions bulge outward slightly from the weight of the filler. Take a straight piece of wood, measure off the segments and use a razor saw to cut a slight vertical crease delineating the separate segments. Carefully file and/or sand the area to a slightly rounded shape. Obtain some type of mesh and glue it relatively tightly around the sides taking care to tuck it into the aforementioned crease. Use some fine wire, wrap it around a rod of suitable diameter and cut to the appropriate length. Glue a length this spiral wire into every crease replicating the join. The actual mesh is simply galvanised wire not unlike a "chain link" fence, common here in the states. 

The connecting piece is simply a spiral of heavy wire. It is inserted by "screwing" it down from above between the two sections. 

On the top, I'd use a Dremel or similar rotary tool to carve a depression taking care to come close to the edge but leave a "lip". Then I'd spread a suitable adhesive and fill this shallow area with my choice of earth.  

Related image

Related image

Photos courtesy of the interweb for discussion only.

G

Edited by AgentG