57 Ferrari Testa Rossa in Mahogany Scratch Build

Hi all

Haven't posted much in the way of build photos as this one just didn't seem to appeal to many.   It may still be that way :blahblahblah: but it is what it is and I enjoy doing them.

So, this is a hand carved Ferrari (the eighth I've done of this model), but this time I wanted to hack it from nice woods ... mahogany and padauk ... with some light coloured veneer, then give everything a highly polished lacquer finish.    Decided to do a matching pattern on the base just for fun.

Not highly detailed as I like my wooden models mostly to emphasize and concentrate on the beautiful shapes of these early cars.

OK, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Enjoy (I hope)

Frank

36146891940_6393541370_o.jpg

36543390965_d3fa85012e_o.jpg

36543383575_5c841268cd_o.jpg

36146889780_347dd1b13f_z.jpg

36146885910_74e8ae6c24_z.jpg

36543381625_955f7c660c_o.jpg

36543385865_11cb0945b3_o.jpg

Other Scratch builds ... Lancia D50   Sport Fishing Boat    Half Hull Boats    Flying Scotsman A3     Lola T70 Mk 1     Dragon Sailboat

Edited by albergman
added a link to other builds
  • Like 22

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That is a thing of beauty!! Just gorgeous!

Keith

3 hours ago, dieselweasel said:

Frank that is brilliant, the finish is totally magic, what lacquer and varnish did you use to get that superb finish.

ATB

Jim

3 hours ago, bhouse said:

Beautiful. It really captures the look of the original. As a fellow woodworker I admire your skill tremendously.

2 hours ago, Cooper645 said:

Amazing craftsmanship, a fantastic looking model has been realised.  Congratulations. Did you make the passenger seat cover removable?

Coops

Thanks guys.   Appreciate your comments.   No varnish used at all just clear lacquer ... which ended up being just rattle can from a hardware store.   Many coats  over several weeks, dried on top of my hot water tank.   Wet sanded with 1000 grit until (almost) no grain hollows are left.    Then polished it with a good quality ultra fine automotive polishing compound ... Meguires to be precise.    It just makes the dull, wet sanding spring to life.

Coops: yes, the cover was made separately from a 1/2" "block" that was glued up from the same 3 woods.   Sculpted to fit down onto the car then, when a good fit achieved, ground the top surface down till only a thin overlap was left.   It is now tacked to the finished car to keep it in place.

I posted a few pics of that process on the build log.

Recently used that polishing compound to buff up a couple of earlier cars ...

Here's a different mahogany piece.    Very  old lacquer so it's good and hard ...

36154103850_f482a5ef47_o.jpg

And a GTO done in padauk wood ...

35741484863_0548e15061_o.jpg

Frank

• Like 5

Fabulous! Great choice of subject, and as someone whose woodworking skills are limited to making firewood I am in awe of your workmanship.

You mention a lack of detail, but I think that is the appeal. Less detail serves to accentuate the lines of these classic Ferraris, - the GTO looks even more voluptuous with no windows.

That is really gorgeous. An iconic car crafted from scratch, after taking a quick look at this I took a look at the build thread before commenting. 

You have a real talent with wood (for some reason I laughed after I typed that. Yes childish I know). 

Shaun 

On 8/13/2017 at 6:08 PM, Kiwidave4 said:

Fabulous! Great choice of subject, and as someone whose woodworking skills are limited to making firewood I am in awe of your workmanship.

You mention a lack of detail, but I think that is the appeal. Less detail serves to accentuate the lines of these classic Ferraris, - the GTO looks even more voluptuous with no windows.

On 8/14/2017 at 1:40 PM, Major_Error said:

I do not have words!

I am impressed!!! Just wonderful!!!

And a master piece!!!

You have done a very good work!!!

25 minutes ago, shood23 said:

That is really gorgeous. An iconic car crafted from scratch, after taking a quick look at this I took a look at the build thread before commenting. 

You have a real talent with wood (for some reason I laughed after I typed that. Yes childish I know). 

Shaun 

Thanks fellas!   Very kind.    Shaun ... I went to look at your postings but I see you've become a victim of PhotoBucket's greed.   Sorry.   

KiwiDave ... Glad you like my approach to these models.   I've often been tempted to simulate windows or add details to the GTO but have managed to restrain myself so far.   I too like the simplified look of that one particularly.   Less is more.

I should go back and finish posting my build pictures someday!

Frank

Other Scratch builds ... Lancia D50   Sport Fishing Boat    Half Hull Boats    Flying Scotsman A3     Lola T70 Mk 1     Dragon Sailboat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shood23 said:

Shaun 

I think I just caught on to your "talent with wood" comment.   Naughty but OK.

I'm old and slow.

Frank

On 13/08/2017 at 2:00 PM, bhouse said:

Beautiful. It really captures the look of the original. As a fellow woodworker I admire your skill tremendously.

Brian    I meant to ask you what kind of woodworking you do.    Models, furniture or ???

2 hours ago, albergman said:

Brian    I meant to ask you what kind of woodworking you do.    Models, furniture or ???

Oddities! A lot of wood turning (presentation platters, mortars, pestles, bowls, lamps), garden furniture, ceiling lamps, tables, doorstops etc. No models yet but I have made patterns for a couple of short-run kit components.

Edited to add:

I had completely forgotten but I did make a wooden model from scratch once. It was in 1967 and was a competition entry for the Vauxhall Craftsmen's Guild. I didn't win :wonder::wink:

IMG_20170817_171728

Not quite up to your standard but I was only 13!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Oddities! A lot of wood turning (presentation platters, mortars, pestles, bowls, lamps), garden furniture, ceiling lamps, tables, doorstops etc. No models yet but I have made patterns for a couple of short-run kit components.

Edited to add:

I had completely forgotten but I did make a wooden model from scratch once. It was in 1967 and was a competition entry for the Vauxhall Craftsmen's Guild. I didn't win :wonder::wink:

Not quite up to your standard but I was only 13!

Not bad at all ... especially for a 13 year old.   Looks like you still have it too.

Thanks for that.

Frank

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...