13/8 Kick off.

More of a place holder at the moment as work still proceeds on my 1/16th Renault Ft. I mentioned buying the Bradley along with some other goodies including a crew for it made by Trumpeter on the FT thread a few weeks ago. Trumpeter included two sheets of camo decals for the uniforms worn by the crew and I have been experimenting with them while waiting for the FT to dry. It takes a while to decal a crewman but the effect is rather nice:

DSCN5206.jpg

DSCN5207.jpg

DSCN5208.jpg

Other goodies I will be including in the build are:

DSCN5191.jpg

DSCN5192.jpg

DSCN5193.jpg

DSCN5194.jpg

DSCN5195.jpg

DSCN5196.jpg

DSCN5197.jpg

DSCN5198.jpg

And of course the Meng model (enough reviews and unboxings around so I will skip that.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

One I'll have to watch Julian, got all the ingredients for a fantastic build :thumbsup2:

Hi Dan,

the kit screams to have a lot of detail added. Doing some reading up on the Bradley but it would appear to be a different animal to super high tech fighting machine that it is made out to be.

Ran into some interesting clips on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooDaezc1nWQ

Won't stop the build though, sexy looking machine...............................................

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SeanM said:

Nice work. I found those Trumpy decals very brittle and hard to work with....

Hi Sean,

spot on there. I beat them into submission with Mr. Mark Setter and Mr. Mark Softer decal solution. Then they snuggle down and behave but it takes some time per crewman. It helps having built a WingNut Wings German aircraft with lozenge camo ;) Then you learn to patch up decals ...................................

The idea is good though IMHO and looks better than I can paint it :whistle: (there is still some painting needed after the decals are applied and dried though)

• Thanks 1

Still in the slow process of decaling the 6 crewmen before proceeding with the build. Adding the decals is a slow job, melting them onto the figures. Final effect is worth the effort though.

(photos to follow shortly)

Hi Julian. Looking forward to seeing more of your interesting project in progress. I've seen these figure decal sheets before but never been sure I'd have the patience.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

17/8 update.

Work continues on the camo uniforms. Have started assembling the "Modern US Army equipment carrying containers". Does anyone know what is contained in these cases? The long, thin case could contain a Stinger or a Gibson Les Paul guitar. The other two cases could contain anything:

DSCN5223.jpg

DSCN5226.jpg

DSCN5227.jpg

DSCN5228.jpg

DSCN5229.jpg

DSCN5230.jpg

;)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Work continues on the camo uniforms.

Hello Julian,

I'm very interested in the process of camo decals ... do you cut pieces like parts of a coat, trousers, and they apply to the figures ? If yes, how do you cut the pieces the right size and shape ?

I am planning to make a DPM camo on british tankers, might try decals ;)

Cheers, E

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice work on the figures Julian.

Thanks Ozzy, slowly getting the hang of how to speed up the decal process.

11 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Great job on the figures!!!! Love the way the decaled uniforms look!!!

But check the equipment with the camo scheme of the uniforms. I'm pretty sure that those are different time frames.

Alex

Hi Alex,

you mean the equipment cases? Can't find much information on these, what exactly are they used for?

8 hours ago, Etienne said:

Hello Julian,

I'm very interested in the process of camo decals ... do you cut pieces like parts of a coat, trousers, and they apply to the figures ? If yes, how do you cut the pieces the right size and shape ?

I am planning to make a DPM camo on british tankers, might try decals ;)

Cheers, E

Good morning Etienne,

I started off trying to cut the pieces so that they would fit together like a real uniform would be tailored but at the moment I have already moved on to squares cut to size and moved into position after they become soft due to the decal solutions. I am also giving them a blast of hot air from a hair dryer to start the decals settling down ( due to the brittleness and easy tearing Sean referred to).

Not too difficult once you get the basics worked out.

;)

• Like 1

Hi Julian

No, I ment the backpacks and the helmets in the box.

When I first saw Mengs Bradley release I started looking for WIP builds and found one....including lot of discussion about umiforms/camos/equipment used during the time period the guy was planing to build his Bradley.

Unfortunately I can't find the build. Might have been over at Armorama or a German page. Sorry!

Alex

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Hi Julian

When I first saw Mengs Bradley release I started looking for WIP builds and found one....including lot of discussion about umiforms/camos/equipment used during the time period the guy was planing to build his Bradley.

Unfortunately I can't find the build. Might have been over at Armorama or a German page. Sorry!

Alex

ACU pattern started to come in to use in 2004. BUSK came in 2010-2012 I believe. The helmets are late model MICH and wouldn't have been seen in conjunction with tricolour except for special forces. The cases could be anything. My "range box" is an old plastic tool box.

• Like 1

The cases look like Peli cases.

I'm ex-airforce and presently work off-shore, and a lot of technical kit from third party suppliers arrive in them, as they are tough plastic, waterproof and have secure latching system.

1002795.jpg

Especially useful for delicate electrical items. Even weapon storage for the long flat case

Edited by diases
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 9:05 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Julian. Looking forward to seeing more of your interesting project in progress. I've seen these figure decal sheets before but never been sure I'd have the patience.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

the decal sheets can be tamed and give a nice effect. Hairdryer and decal fluids obligatory though, otherwise it's a tough battle to get the to stay on ;)

On 8/18/2017 at 9:02 AM, coneheadff said:

Hi Julian

Alex

I'm getting more input about the helmets supplied by Meng, think I'll put the infantry on hold for a moment, thanks for the tip.

On 8/18/2017 at 6:39 PM, John_W said:

ACU pattern started to come in to use in 2004. BUSK came in 2010-2012 I believe. The helmets are late model MICH and wouldn't have been seen in conjunction with tricolour except for special forces. The cases could be anything. My "range box" is an old plastic tool box.

Thanks John, see the answer above to Alex and thanks for the tip!

On 8/19/2017 at 0:33 PM, diases said:

The cases look like Peli cases.

I'm ex-airforce and presently work off-shore, and a lot of technical kit from third party suppliers arrive in them, as they are tough plastic, waterproof and have secure latching system.

1002795.jpg

Especially useful for delicate electrical items. Even weapon storage for the long flat case

Thanks for the feedback,

B)

27/8 update.

Started the build. The suspension fits beautifully and it works but.........................It is so amazingly fragile that I have given all joints a quick dab of ultra thin cement.

The tracks supplied terrify me too, might go for metal tracks, still thinking this over.

DSCN5245.jpg

DSCN5246.jpg

DSCN5247.jpg

DSCN5248.jpg

Not much time available at the bench so things are proceeding at "Dead slow ahead".............................................

:analintruder:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

The tracks supplied terrify me too, might go for metal tracks, still thinking this over.

Hello Julian,

if you are not in a hurry, I may be giving you some advice about R-model tracks ... very nice with independant pads and track pins. Bought some for my next CV90 ...

I'll perhaps have them at home in a few days ... weeks :huh:

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2017 at 6:47 PM, FrancisGL said:

Wow, it's supposed that a brand like MENG, just for price, should waste quality, but for what you say, go "surprise" ...:popcorn:

Cheers Julian :yes:

Hi Francis, the quality is very evident so far, everything fits perfectly. Due to the scale things can get rather fragile though, that's why I "solidified"the suspension ;)

On 27/08/2017 at 3:58 PM, Gremlin56 said:

Thanks Etienne, they look very nice, I'm not in a great hurry so I'll wait for the moment,

Cheers

Julian

Hello Julian,

I received the tracks ... nice and crisp details, some photos to show a handful of links assembled ;)

img_0761.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 2

2/9 update.

Haven't had much bench time recently, have bought some more goodies for the build including ordering a set of those rather sexy tracks Etienne showed me. this is the progress so far:

DSCN5249.jpg

DSCN5250.jpg

DSCN5251.jpg

DSCN5252.jpg

DSCN5254.jpg

DSCN5256.jpg

DSCN5257.jpg

DSCN5258.jpg

DSCN5260.jpg

DSCN5261.jpg

DSCN5262.jpg

Fit is amazing and the Meng paints are about the best I have used since changing to acrylics.

13 minutes ago, Etienne said:

Hello Julian,

I received the tracks ... nice and crisp details, some photos to show a handful of links assembled ;)

img_0761.jpg

Cheers, E

Thanks for the tip Etienne,

ordered set too !

PS: Forza Lewis! Old stinky finger forgot his wellies today.......................................New record pole positions snatched from Scummi too !   :penguin::penguin::penguin:

• Like 6

Thanks Dan,

It's another Meng masterpiece, fragile but beautiful to build. The tracks look great, Etienne found them on line at a firm in Hong Kong. I ordered a set last week, not sure if the will go to the Bradley, the Hobby Boss tracks provided with the AAVP-7A1 are pretty dire so might use them there.

;)