Beer Barrel Run - Spitfire LFIX 1/72

CedB

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

^^ last night on ITV or C4 was a programme on training easyJet pilots. Worth catching up on.

Now get some more modelling done!!!!! :P

Trevor

Thanks Trevor - yes, I saw it, interesting eh? "All you need is 5 GCSEs and £110,000". Hmmm. They got to train in New Zealand though - envious, it's one of my favourite places.

More modelling below!

Thanks Simon (Spooky) and Trevor - I have no idea what the goat's called; I missed Tony's party :( 

Thanks Keith - hmmm, I can see how trying to encourage a Newfie to do anything it didn't want to do could be a problem :) 

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Armour, unless there's a bit of photo etch to use for the head armour.

Thanks Simon, 'tis done:

35785666413_4101b515ab_z.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I've also gel CA'd the compass support and painted the rim of the compass black:

36426404132_5b8e3c2109_z.jpg

Sorry about the focus.

• Like 11

How many pages? Bloody hell Ced, slow down man!

Has the goat learned to walk again after its encounter with TT's chilli-powered puffin? I fear it will be forever cross-eyed though.......

Oh, and looking good of course, goes without saying!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Morning! I'm having TT's problem in that I think I've run out of 'reactions' - I click it and get the 'x' but the count doesn't go up... rats.

For those who are feeling that I've left you out, apologies, and don't worry:

(I intended to post a witty "I love you all" image / video here but after a short search on the 'net I'm now feeling slightly nauseous)

Thanks Ian :) Where are we... page SIX, flippin' 'eck...

Cockpit parts are almost there, just needing some metal blobs, button/dial colouring and dry brushing:

35766230544_4903abdc53_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Tip: while you're trying to get the brake lever in position make sure you're not pushing on the drop tank controls:

36464316501_6b5dac7569_z.jpg

(Oooh look, the Flickr editor is finally available - hooray!)

Now the most important thing (for me) - crew selection:

36205315150_b1a91241bc_z.jpg

Um, er, I think I have some sorting out to do... 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't matter what it's called, it never b!@@dy listens!

That ip looks great... 

I'm currently building a couple of Spitfires and a Seafire. My research suggested that later Spitfires had amour plating fitted. Early mark I's were retro fitted. 

As ever the internet has conflicting information but the consensus was amour on later Spitfires. The leather head pad was another area of was it or wasn't it fitted...

Dont get me started on the flare cartridge rack at the front of the seat.... I couldn't determine which had fitted or not!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry about the focus.

My brain used to get sick of my eyes telling it that at closing-time as a young man. Now I've gotten older and have to wear glasses it just sits there in the skull making sarcastically 'helpful' suggestions to the hands...

Nice work on the pilot's cubicle Ced. :thumbsup2: 

Glad also to see the obligatory 'body-farm' shot reinstated as a feature of your threads.:wicked:

Tony

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry I'm late, chaps; traffic.  My round, I guess.

Was the beer run Spit also converted into an Airbus?  For a single-seater, that's an awful lot of pilots

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Thanks Christer and welcome! We'll try to keep the mayhem to a minimum :D 

Thanks Roger :) Helped a lot by the Eduard PE but I do like messing around with the internals... before closing up and putting the model on the ceiling where it won't be seen again (hence all the pictures!)

Thanks Leon :) I think you (and Beard of course) are right that most had the armour retrofitted. The leather pad? Can of worms...

Thanks Tony :) I'm with you on the eyesight. I keep thinking 'I must get some new specs' and then I have a good night's sleep and they're fine. I also hate to add to the half a dozen pairs I've collected over the last few years. The body farm needs organising, badly. I thought I had some nice 'clean' moulds somewhere but they're obviously waiting for painting.

Did you see the news calling for a UK body farm? Apparently it would help the Police solve murders, although why they think the culprits would dump their bodies there I have no idea :D

Hi Crisp! Have a seat and welcome :) 'Crew selection' is always an important part of the build for me and I'm moulding them now so no excuse for not finding one to fit (I hope).

Thanks Simon, glad you like it! :) 

Here we go then - pre-close-up internal shots:

36559202486_7d3fe5fd08_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've painted the tanks with enamel so it'll need to dry for a bit. I also used Humbrol 'Dark Green' enamel wash which I've had for some time but this is the first time I've used it... it's OK, but a bit dark so I had to wash over it with thinners. A couple more:

35769981574_8b225ec3a8_z.jpg

35770020304_860f13cd5b_z.jpg

finally got the iPhone camera to focus on the brake lever.

Finish looks a bit rough in places but hey, it is brush painted 1/72!

• Like 20

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Tip: while you're trying to get the brake lever in position make sure you're not pushing on the drop tank controls:

Why, does the tank fall off...? :whistle: :winkgrin:

Spiffing cockpit, there old bean!

Keith

• Haha 1

Err, I don't mean to criticise but shouldn't the sides of the seat be brown as well?  At least that what I did on my Eduard and just touched in the handles on the side in IG.

Not that anyone will see much with the pilot in place and up on the ceiling...

Personally I think the seat is the worst element of the Eduard kit.

cheers

Will 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Morning! I'm having TT's problem in that I think I've run out of 'reactions' - I click it and get the 'x' but the count doesn't go up... rats.

For those who are feeling that I've left you out, apologies, and don't worry:

Try this.Usually works well:

post2.jpg

By the way cockpit look very good . Again, the Makros just show no mercy. Cheers

6 hours ago, CedB said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

By the time you have her buttoned up Ced she will look great.

The problem with "Macro" is they do show the warts and all, to the "human eye" it will all blend in nicely.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :D 

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Why, does the tank fall off...? :whistle: :winkgrin:

Spiffing cockpit, there old bean!

Keith

Thanks Keith :laugh:  That 'laugh' emoticon looks like someone doing a donkey impression doesn't it? How about :rofl: Better :) 

5 hours ago, malpaso said:

Err, I don't mean to criticise but shouldn't the sides of the seat be brown as well?  At least that what I did on my Eduard and just touched in the handles on the side in IG.

Not that anyone will see much with the pilot in place and up on the ceiling...

Personally I think the seat is the worst element of the Eduard kit.

cheers

Will 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

He's right Ced the seat sides should be brown, and while we're in critical mode I'm pretty sure that the elevator trim wheel was not metal so wouldn't show that sort of wear.

John

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Thanks Will, John and Simon :) The instructions say 'russet' and we've had posts about this before elsewhere. I'd forgotten. From Simon's photo I guess the bakelite bits mean the kit should have red about half way up? Too late for me, 'tis all glued, but Simon's picture will help others not make the same mistake.

Thanks John too for the comment on the trim wheel - I could call it artistic licence I guess but no, it's just wrong. :( 

Thanks Benedikt for the Pencil! Great tool :D 

So I corrected all the errors (no I haven't but you'll never know) and closed up the cockpit:

35773330384_a0110b12cf_z.jpgUntitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Of course, despite cleaning all the joins of paint, cleaning all the flash and clamping I still have Eduard Spitfire angst that it'll be too wide and I'll have a seam - we shall see!

When that had dried I selected a pilot and encouraged him into the seat (ahem) and fitted the weird bits in the fuselage, including the rear bulkhead bit, all glued to just one side for now:

35803261293_639803ed0b_z.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, CedB said:

[...]] I guess the bakelite bits mean the kit should have red about half way up? 

I'm not sure what you mean (but I do know that seat was plastic [edit: a resin/ paper mixture] not Bakelite)😉

Edited by Beard
to clarify what seats were made from.
  • Thanks 1

Plastic, sorry, plastic, thanks Simon.

From what I've seen the seat was plastic (see, I do learn!) but the frame not. The picture you linked to shows the plastic bit very well but not the frame?

I mean something like this edited photo?

36216924510_8e9a1dd005_z.jpg

• Like 5

I don't really do Spitfires but have to confess that you are making this one look interesting to Mar's leading beer monster!

Martian :pardon:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Beard said:

I'm not sure what you mean (but I do know that seat was plastic not Bakelite)

Being pedantic, bakelite was plastic...not saying the Spit seat was bakelite, just saying is all...! :nerd::winkgrin:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now I understand... and the answer is no, the whole seat is plastic (although I have seen one (albeit, I think, from a PRXIX) that has Grey-green on the outside, as you suggest, but I'm not sure if it was painted or not).

I have to admit that I've been guilty of painting the sides grey-green but no-one can see through a canopy after I've painted it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Um, er, I think I have some sorting out to do... 

...will you be interviewing for the next coule of years???:blahblahblah:

Nice work on the cockpit!:yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Being pedantic, bakelite was plastic...not saying the Spit seat was bakelite, just saying is all...! :nerd::winkgrin:

Keith

True.

They were made, I believe, from a resin/ paper mixture. I've edited my posts to reflect this.

• Like 1