Canadair Sabre Mk.2

Hi folks.

This is my interpretation of my recently completed Canadair Sabre Mk.2 in 1/72

Not much to say really. Life started by using the Hobbycraft kit that had its wings backdated to pre 6-3, wing pylons moved inboard and the gun-sight replaced with an older type. Model finished using Humbrol Metalcote 'Polished Aluminium' paint, Model Alliance decals, MA-72120. Markings for aircraft '19241' of 421 Squadron, 2 Wing, RCAF, Grostenquin, France, 1954.

IMG_7681.jpg

IMG_7683.jpg

IMG_7684.jpg

IMG_7685.jpg

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Typo
  • Like 24

Nice, didn't wanna tackle the windscreen issue, then ?😀   It's a shame that HobbyCraft gives you the correct vent on the top of the fuselage, but doesn't give you the vents on the sides of the fuselage.

Cheers, Tony

Thanks for the comments guys. The splashes of colour on an overall metal finish aircraft does make an appealing subject.

3 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

Nice, didn't wanna tackle the windscreen issue, then ?😀   It's a shame that HobbyCraft gives you the correct vent on the top of the fuselage, but doesn't give you the vents on the sides of the fuselage.

Cheers, Tony

When I was thinking of the Mk.2, the 'split-screen' was in the front of my mind and I was willing to do, I had already done it on the F-86A. But, in this instance, from what I have read and stuff, by 1954 when the squadron moved to France the 'split-screens' were gone. And as for the vents, I tend not to worry to much about them unless it was a major feature.

Stuart

That looks OK from here; love the original Canadian flag on the fin (reminds me of doing the Airfix F-104 in Canadian markings back in 19-sixty-dot) and the "Indian Head" Squadron emblem.

One small nit-pick though; you've transposed the 2 and 4 of the Squadron number in your original post (understandable given the serial number on your jet).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Thanks for the comments guys. The splashes of colour on an overall metal finish aircraft does make an appealing subject.

When I was thinking of the Mk.2, the 'split-screen' was in the front of my mind and I was willing to do, I had already done it on the F-86A. But, in this instance, from what I have read and stuff, by 1954 when the squadron moved to France the 'split-screens' were gone. And as for the vents, I tend not to worry to much about them unless it was a major feature.

Stuart

Stuart,  All Mk2s had a Vee windscreen, no matter what year it was.    They were never altered, even after overhaul and given to Greece and Turkey.     The flat windshield was introduced on the Sabre 4.

Cheers, Tony

Hi courageous.

How did you backdate the wings?.  Was metal cote from spray or tin and how did it work for you - did you give it a long drying time.  I tried it - brush painting from tin but could not get it to polish.

Thank you

4 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

Stuart,  All Mk2s had a Vee windscreen, no matter what year it was.    They were never altered, even after overhaul and given to Greece and Turkey.     The flat windshield was introduced on the Sabre 4.

Cheers, Tony

I stand corrected Tony, too late now but hopefully I'll remember when I get round to those two.

1 hour ago, twinpin said:

Hi courageous.

How did you backdate the wings?.  Was metal cote from spray or tin and how did it work for you - did you give it a long drying time.  I tried it - brush painting from tin but could not get it to polish.

Thank you

I cut along the panel line just aft of the slats and put the leading edges aside. Then I slowly remove plastic from the main wing sections to achieve about 2mm reduction inboard and about 1mm outboard, I then glue thin plasticard reinforcing  strips to the inner surfaces so that I can rejoin the slats to the wings, Then it's the case of fairing everything in like the leading edges and wing roots. The area where the leading edge joins the fuselage will need some work and it may be prudent to glue some extra plastic internally as you'll more than likely need to take plastic away. Then it'll be a bit of filler, CA to 'tart' everything up. This may not be the best way but it's my way. I have done this to my 3 Sabres so far with good results and will more than likely continue with those Sabres that need it in the future.

The Metalcote is from a rattle can mainly as I have trouble putting metallics through my airbrush. To make life easy, spray and buff after 20-30 mins (as per instructions) If it's not good enough, go again. Had lovely results on my first Sabre, not so good on my second because I left it too long before buffing and my latest was good again. As for Alclad, never tried it.

Stuart

Stuart

• Like 1