Canberra TT18 question

Red Dot

hi all,

The photo below shows a Canberra TT.18 taken at St.Mawgan in 1974 by Akira Watanabe (copyright). Does the dayglo orange stripe on the upper wing surface go all the way down to the trailing edge of the upper wing and how is it painted at the walk-way line and around spoiler area? Any photos showing this detail would be a great help and much appreciated

C-_Users_Mr-_Binks_App_Data_Local_Micros

thanks very much
Andy and Akira
Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:
hi all,

The photo below shows a Canberra TT.18 taken at St.Mawgan in 1974 by Akira Watanabe. Does the dayglo orange stripe on the upper wing surface go all the way down to the trailing edge of the upper wing and how is it painted at the walk-way line and around spoiler area? Any photos showing this detail would be a great help and much appreciated

C-_Users_Mr-_Binks_App_Data_Local_Micros

thanks very much
Andy and Akira

Hi Andy and Akira 

The red band extends right down to but does not go onto the upper edge of the flap. I'm not sure what you mean regarding the walkway markings they follow the same pattern as all Canberra's. If you take a look on my site I have a few albums you may find helpful? The bands were painted day-glow at some point but in this instance I would say it is signal red.   

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15392479

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11695963

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12627333

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11294285

Regards

John

• Like 2

thanks for this reply John and the links to the detailed photos too

If anyone else wants to chip in, feel free............

Andy

Edited by Red Dot

That's a cracking shot Andy, I collect info and pics of 7 Sqn Canberras as I grew up with them.  WH856 seems to have rarely been photo'd in that era, so that is very nice

Finding upper wing shots in that scheme is quite hard aswel, but as John says the stripe is painted up to the flap break line on the upper surface.

Just for info, the Navy/FRADU TT.18s didn't have the over wing stripes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 71chally said:

That's a cracking shot Andy, I collect info and pics of 7 Sqn Canberras as I grew up with them.  WH856 seems to have rarely been photo'd in that era, so that is very nice

Finding upper wing shots in that scheme is quite hard aswel, but as John says the stripe is painted up to the flap break line on the upper surface.

Just for info, the Navy/FRADU TT.18s didn't have the over wing stripes.

Here you go James happy memory time :)

wh856ps-1_zps5mlclukz.jpg

John

• Like 1

Thanks John I've seen those, definitely a nice subject by being in R.Navy service with nose code, but with RAF unit markings!

I have another shot of WH846 at possibly at, or close to, the same time as Akiras photo, and one nice feature is that the tip tanks are in aluminium/silver finish.

Edited by 71chally

hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the great replies and Akira has already mailed from Japan saying that he is amazed at how much knowledge we all have on Britmodeller and how quickly we reply. I guess that is a big thumbs up :yes:

I took the picture to the model club meeting last night and a couple of other things came up, namely that there do not appear to be any walkways on the front of the upper wing as they do not show on the leading edge outboard of the red stripe. I am also not convinced that there are red/white/blue RAF markings on the tail either unless they are just covered by the wing and photo angle.

Secondly, page 37 of the Canberra On Target Profile book shows an artwork of a Canberra with red stripes (not a TT18 admittedly) on top of the wings. The stripes are painted over the top of the walkways i.e. red paint was applied last. This is what i was trying to find out in my initial question, so if anyone can confirm that for an RAF TT18, it would be great.

Lastly, Akira's picture must be of an early RAF TT18 as there are no small white code letters on the lower nose, so yet again, it's very rare.

Good spot on the silver wing tip tanks James 71Chally!!

Looking forward to yet more replies!

thanks

Andy and Akira

Edited by Red Dot

Hi Andy,

There are RAF stripes on the tail, as you suppose they are blanked off by the wing in this shot.

7 Sqn Canberras never had code letters or numbers on the nose.  They had the last two numbers of the aircraft serial applied on the tail, so in this case '56' for WH856, again I would say this is blanked by the wing.  '856 didn't wear the Sqn badge on the tail while in the Light Aircraft Grey scheme, but had it applied while in the camo scheme

100 Sqn RAF had two white code letters on the nose, while the Navy TT.18s used a three number code number on the nose, black numbers on light grey, later white numbers on a black background.

This shot gives a good idea of a typical 7 squadron layout, p1245623512-3.jpg

As for the wing stenciling, unfortunately I don't have any primary evidence that's good enough to prove either way, I would assume the walkways would be added last as they are important.

I think from that angle that you wouldn't see any walkways being a B.2 based variant, unlike say that of a B.6 type, but Canberra John will know better

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

I'm away watching aeroplanes this weekend. When I get back I'll sort out some photos of the walkways, but if you look in the TT.18 album I have some photos of the top side of an 100 Sqn. machine, they are the same pattern as they would be in the aircraft in your photo. As for the wing stripe, as James says the chances are the walk way will go over the stripe, but there is no guarantee, again I will check again when I get home.

John

thanks very much for the informative replies James and John. Knowing the way Akira makes models, this is going to be special, i can't wait,

Andy

• Like 1

Be great to see the build Andy, do you know what base kit Akira is using?

I will try and scan the picture of WH856 that I have, it might come in handy.

As a kid I loved these Canberras, St Mawgan was a maritime base, primarily for Nimrods at that time, but there really was something special about the Canberras and 7 sqn were a very 'local' unit, applying local Coats of Arms and names to their aircraft in later years.  The black and yellow diagonal undersides were etched indelibly in my mind!

• Like 1

hi James,

Akira was going to use a mix of the Airfix and Classic Airframes kits, but adding a lot of detail into them

He did mention he would join Britmodeller, so there might even be a WIP thread

Andy

• Like 1

Although that is an excellent site, they are of the Navy/FRADU Canberras which were marked differently to the RAF ones.

Finding a good single resource of the RAF TT.18s isn't easy, sadly.

At one time I did have a 7 Squadron Canberra webpage going, but it became a paid for facility so had to withdraw it.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Ben that link was posted before, and although an excellent site, they are of the Navy/FRADU Canberras which were marked differently to the RAF ones.

Finding a good single resource of the RAF TT.18s isn't easy, sadly.

At one time I did have a 7 Squadron Canberra webpage going, but it became a paid for facility so had to withdraw it.

I feel your pain James, I too started my site as a freebie, but in the end I had to cough up to keep it going, much to my annoyance, but unlike a well known photo site the cost wasn't too bad, thank goodness! 

John

Thanks John, it was website, rather than a photo host site, it was free with Orange, later they charged a small fee for it, and then they withdrew it altogether sadly.

Back to the walkways, I'm pretty sure the standard B.2 type wing (ie for the TT.18) didn't have walkways that extended over the leading edge, unlike the B.6 type, what do you say John?

Topside photos of the grey TT.18's are not that common but I found this one as you can see the walkway does not appear to pass over the red band but does over the roundel. 

mXyeuW.jpg

This photo gives a good look at the shape and position of the walkway markings

mXyJZj.jpg

and another shot of WH856

mXykz1.jpg

John

• Like 2

That first shot is nice John, would you know which one it is?  Interesting with the wing pitot, T.11/19/22 stylee!

The overhead camo shot is useful for the walkway positions and also that towel rail aerial position on the port inboard wing.

Note in the last shot how WH856 has gained a full LAG and yellow tip tank, also as in my pic of it it doesn't wear a tail code.

Edited by 71chally

Thanks John, another 'Magnificent 7' stalwart then.

I've just been looking through the Classic Airframes painting guide which shows the walkways being applied over the red wing stripe and that it was correct for WJ639. 

So, I wonder if it varied across the different airfames.

This wouldn't surprise me as the underwing serials and roundel sizes varied a little.

BTW Andy, there is this 7 Sqn Association page, won't answer your current questions but has some nice background info and shots,

http://7squadronassociation.com/the_canberra_years

Edited by 71chally

hi John and James,

You have really excelled yourselves with all of this help. Many, many thanks from Akira and myself as the photos show exactly what was asked for

cheers

Andy

• Like 1

My name's Akira(first name) Watanabe(last) and my registration to the Britmodeller.com is complete only today.  First of all, thank you so much for all the British modellers who supported me on the TT.18's red(orange?) wing stripe question.  The topside photo of the grey TT.18 which was posted by "Canberra kid" on 14AUG17 shows exactly what was asked for, and I now have a very clean picture of the TT.18's wing stripe.  Frankly speaking, I did not know that the TT.18 had a towel rail aerial on the port inboard wing. Also, all the walkaround photos of the TT.18 provided on this site will surely help me a lot during my next project of the TT.18 in 1/48 scale. 

Could anyone kindly advice me which model kit is more recommended, either a Classic Airframe kit or an Airfix kit???  What are good/weak points of them?

• Like 2