RAF Tornado GR1T

robc

In an attempt to reduce the pile of loft insulation, i have a thought to build a 1/72 version of Tornado ZA357 in one of it's

Cottesmore TTTE guises (B-05).

I understand this airframe was a 'twin sticker', so assume the rear navigators station was modified to take another pilot?

Does anyone have information or pictures as to how the cockpit layout differed from a standard GR1?

I have a picture from an Ian Allen special showing the rear cockpit of an ADV trainer, was it similar to that?

Thanks in anticipation.

Rob

Edited by robc
new line

Apart from the inclusion of a control column, rudder pedals, throttle & wing-sweep box one of the major differences is that the left-hand display is displaced to the right, IIRC mimicking the HUD with a set of four analogue flight instruments taking its place on the left.  Not sure at present if the engine instruments were duplicated in the back but as the "trainers" were/are fully combat capable replacing nav kit with engine gauges might not be a good plan, let alone a cunning one.

Mark,

Thanks for this, I did do a search on the forum looking for some answers but drew a blank (perhaps because I missed the brackets round the 'T').

As an aside , I remembered that the later issues of the Airfix 1/72 F3 included decals representing this cockpit layout, so something to work with.

resized_9c01afaf-7e00-4171-8275-de2802d3

Rob

• 11 months later...

A bit late to the party, but I think I just might be able to help. This is the rear cockpit of the aircraft in question at Cosford yesterday. This was the best I could get without climbing off the platform and onto the intake haha;

Rear cockpit of Tornado GR.1T ZA357 - Cosford DSAE, 06/08/18

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Thanks 1

WV908,

Thank for taking the time, very useful.

Progress is slow on the build ( too many fingers in too many pies!)

As i'm trying to reduce the loft stash, i've grafted the front and rear end of an Italeri GR1 on to an Airfix GR1 centre fuselage (ala Airwork Ltd F3 debacle!!).

a227acb3-63fc-4139-9d37-6a4bd1f09caf.JPG

I've also sourced a few decal sheets, so it will get finished sometime.

Rob

Edited by robc
  • Like 1

Hi Rob, no problem. I saw this topic this morning and ironically and luckily enough, ZA357’s was the only Tonka rear cockpit I photographed yesterday. Considering I wanted photos of a GR.4 office (both GR.4’s were out of bounds) how odd but also convenient haha as it benefits you and I’ve snapped one of the rarer types of tub. F.2 is already ticked off the list luckily. 

Cheers,

WV908

Anyway, now I’m back from Coningsby and have time to look through my photos..... I hope you’ll like these / find them useful. All of ZA357 on 6th August at DSAE Cosford;

ZA357 Tornado GR.1T

ZA357 Tornado GR.1T

ZA357 Tornado GR.1T

ZA357 Tornado GR.1T

It was a bit of a rush around so this was everything I got of her (if you look very closely there are four Tonkas in the second shot)

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1