Is this the true value of a 1/72 Hasegawa Jaguar??

TonyTiger66

Hello Folks,

I've been browsing a few RAF jet threads; getting quite enthusiastic about maybe filling some gaps in the collection.

I'm stuck bedbound at the moment and some RAF schemes look quite possible to achieve with paints, hairy stick and a tray.

The Hasegawa Jaguar in 1/72 gets quite a good press across Britmodeller. I'm in Australia.

Went to a place called 'SimplyBestPrices' on EBay and found this;

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/182682193684?_mwBanner=1

:frantic: 

Is this the correct price???

Is this some limited release of three or somesuch?

I realise it may be; I certainly can't afford it, I'm just taken aback that any modern 1/72 kit could be worth this!!

It's not the right version for me; I would like to do an early GR1. Any recommendations on a much lower price easy 'on a tray'  but fairly accurate 1/72 kit most appreciated :).

Best regards

TonyT

40 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Wow - maybe they've an algorithm setting the prices that has had a glitch. I struggle to believe that any real buyer has ever paid close to that 

It's pretty surreal! I could only find one more of that 'last flight' version, so it appears to be fairly rare. 

The other one I found was less than a tenth of the price :whistle: 

What I find puzzling is; surely they pay fees based on the price they put them in at?

I wonder if, every now and then, someone (a very rich someone), goes ahead and buys one at this price?

I just found a review of kits then available, from 9 years ago here on Britmodeller. It's still very helpful:

Other reviews suggest that the original Heller kit measures up well for a prototype. There's a Hobby Boss one now too, that is a little costly, but looks good.

I'm erring towards a far cheaper Hasegawa GR1. Around a 20th of the price of the one in the first post :D!

Best regards

TonyT

Hello, TonyT

Very Monty Python like price. Perhaps it was a typo and they actually meant cents and not dollars :D? Also, thanks for a link to DamienB's very useful review. I have Heller and two Italeri Jaguar kits in my stash and I have never really bothered to give them more than a cursory look. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Thank you very much Steve :thumbsup:!

Now that's a lot more like it! It's 5.43 am on Saturday and my weekend is about to commence with an order for one of these :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

HLJ's price is very good. I think I paid £14.99 for mine from Hannants. The best route to get a two seater maybe the dual Combo kit Hasegawa released a few years ago with both a single seat and twin seat Jaguar in black paint schemes. These can be had for around £30.

https://www.kitsforcash.com/1-72-hasegawa-jaguar-gr1-a-t-black-jaguar-combo-limited-edition-i4212.htm

Damien's Article is very useful. I was using this as a reference for my Jaguar.

Regards,

Mark

I just saw on for £14.99 at Chelt Model Centre.

However, your del from HLJ is probably way under that delivered.

I built a Hasegawa Jag in Desert Storm many years ago, now MIA in my loft. Also the Hasegawa two-seater much more recently. Both great kits.

Although I can remember when the Jag kits first came out and spending something like the grand sum of a fiver on the GR1 (and possibly about the same for the T2) from my local model store, it hasn't gone up that much, even allowing for the UK importer's apparent desire to make most Hasegawa kits utterly unaffordable/over-priced for what they are -  but is it my memory, or didn't this particular boxing come onto the market [in more than just the UK] at a rather higher price than the other Jaguars in the Hasegawa range? 

As an aside, you could've probably got a slightly dented 1:1 scale Jag from Everett Aero for not much more than the price noted in the original link...

The same thing happens with ebay books. If you keep looking, and sighing, but not buying, (maybe one day!) some computer senses your interest and an algorithm tops the price up. If two or three people are looking, then it goes stupid. Worst of all, it encourages the staff at Oxfam to display the same stupid price, thinking that the going rate is three figures. 

' SimplyBestPrices'....the name is a joke.  They have similar stupid prices on everything they sell.

No the Hasegawa Jaguar is not ultra rare and anyone who paid that price has no idea of the correct retail pricing.

Of course they are the type of people who ' SimplyBestPrices' are preying on.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Folks,

I've been browsing a few RAF jet threads; getting quite enthusiastic about maybe filling some gaps in the collection.

I'm stuck bedbound at the moment and some RAF schemes look quite possible to achieve with paints, hairy stick and a tray.

The Hasegawa Jaguar in 1/72 gets quite a good press across Britmodeller. I'm in Australia.

I realise it may be; I certainly can't afford it, I'm just taken aback that any modern 1/72 kit could be worth this!!

It's not the right version for me; I would like to do an early GR1. Any recommendations on a much lower price easy 'on a tray'  but fairly accurate 1/72 kit most appreciated :).

Best regards

TonyT

gee you could always buy it and convert!!!!!!!!!

On 8/11/2017 at 4:02 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Folks,

Best regards

TonyT

That seller is in an unscrupulous fraud. They have various UK-based listings but I think they sell from Australia. Prices are jacked up 2x 3x even 4x but always end their listing with "Best Price" or "Free Shipping" or some other stupidity. I once sent them a very sarcastic message on whether this was the "legendary kit made of golden sprues" hence the 4x price. They responded that they got their stock from many parts of the world, hence their price.

They should be banned if anything for being dishonest on where they're based.

That said @TonyTiger66 I thoroughly recommend the Hasegawa Jaguar, it's a great kit, just keep an eye out for three things: it does not come with a Phimat pod or an AN/ALQ-101 jammer, both of which became standard equipment on the RAF Jag from the 80s onward. I believe one of the Hase Weapons Sets includes a 101 but you'll have to get the Phimat elsewhere. Also note that the kit comes with Magic missiles which is ok for a French bird, but RAF birds use Sidewinders. Finally, note that the standard boxing does not include fuel tanks although some other special boxings do (mainly their Gulf War Special)

You can avoid all these problems by getting the Italeri kit (or the Revell rebox with nicer decals). Its surface detailing is not as fine as Hasegawa's and it has some fit problems as well as some accuracy issues but at least you get everything you need for a fully armed RAF Jag out of the box.

On 8/26/2017 at 10:19 PM, Hornet133 said:

Apparently these Jaguar kits are becoming even more valuable. That crook of a seller now has the Jaguar kit listed at $526.00 (although it says 'out of stock').

"out of Stock"??? Someone bought it at that price or did it vanish into the mist along with Brigadoon? I need to get whatever that Trader was drinking!!

Duncan B

• Haha 1