Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series Finally Being Developed for TV

5 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

I was hoping for something a little more retro inspired.

It’s what you make of it. You could have a dystopian Blade Runner background or something like Korda’s “Things to Come”.

Theres no whiz, bang, wallop to the narrative. In my mind, it’s more character and set piece led. Wordy in parts, my imagination has built a brooding and majestic style of universe. You listen to the narrative, but you’re looking over the speaker’s shoulder at the architecture in the background.

TL:DR it won’t adapt to ‘sexing up’. Keep it as something you have to think about.

Trevor

• Like 2

It looks as if they have (for 'equality' reasons) turned Gaal Dornick into a woman... SERIOUSLY...?
NO WAY will I watch.
Why do film companies/TV companies have to muck about with a book that was written YEARS ago...?
The latest RUBBISH I read, is that someone thinks the up-coming Lord of the Rings TV series should let Gandalf be a woman...
Oh dear...

If that's the case, let's make a movie all about Florence Nightingale - but cast her as a man called Frederick....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I kind of understand why Gaal Dornick is a woman. From memory there are only a handful in the books, including the prequels and sequels (from memory Dors Delami, Sura Novi and of course Bayta and Arkady Darrell). I could imagine the howls of anguish if they weren’t represented.

I’ll wait until the series is underway before deciding whether I want to subscribe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roymattblack said:

I love the BBC radio adaptation from long ago. I listen to it over and over...

I thoroughly enjoyed it too. Do you have it on cd?

Trevor

• 11 months later...

Sounds good and I'm hopeful they do a good job.

I wish though they'd give proper credit to the REAL first series that did the TV novel approach which was Babylon 5 NOT Game of Thrones!

2 hours ago, roymattblack said:

Well that's a killer... Apple TV.

I changed my iPhone recently and they chucked in 12 months free Apple+ too. I’ve got another three weeks to take up

the offer. This may well tip me over!

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the trailer on IMDB the other day.

From what I can see, and I hope I am wrong, is that they have turned a galacto-political set of stories into a Star Wars type action movie.

There seem too many explosions, etc. The other bummer for me is that it's Apple TV. I already have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+. Yet another subscription service just seems a bit of a joke!

Shame. :(

Cheers,

Alan.

1 hour ago, Alan R said:

I saw the trailer on IMDB the other day.

From what I can see, and I hope I am wrong, is that they have turned a galacto-political set of stories into a Star Wars type action movie.

There seem too many explosions, etc. The other bummer for me is that it's Apple TV. I already have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+. Yet another subscription service just seems a bit of a joke!

Shame. :(

Cheers,

Alan.

I wouldn't read too much into that, it's pretty standard to include action scenes in trailers even if they're only a small part of the actual series.

It being on Apple TV is an annoyance for me too, I'll do the same as I did with Mandalorian and Disney+, wait until the whole season is complete then just subscribe for 1 month to watch all the episodes.

Edited by -Ian-

Hi Ian,

That seems a good idea.

I must admit, of all the subscription services I am paying for, Disney+ is the one I use the most.
There are so many films and TV shows that I want to watch. What with Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar I feel that's well worth the ticket.

I think if I suggested that we get Apple TV as well, my wife would probably not speak to me again ... ever!

Maybe it will come out on Blu-ray eventually...

Cheers,

Alan.

3 hours ago, Alan R said:

Hi Ian,

That seems a good idea.

I must admit, of all the subscription services I am paying for, Disney+ is the one I use the most.
There are so many films and TV shows that I want to watch. What with Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar I feel that's well worth the ticket.

Maybe it will come out on Blu-ray eventually...

Cheers,

Alan.

Like the Tom Hanks movie, Greyhound.

Maybe, one day.

• Like 1

I never understood why Asimov's Elijah Bailey novels (Caves of Steel, Naked Sun) weren't picked up for TV or film - Sci Fi detective stories, with robots - what's not to like!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Welkin said:

I never understood why Asimov's Elijah Bailey novels (Caves of Steel, Naked Sun) weren't picked up for TV or film - Sci Fi detective stories, with robots - what's not to like!

R. Daneel Olivaw enters the conversation!

If the Foundation story arc is followed there will be a crossover at one point (spoiler free😁)

Trevor

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pilgrim_UK said:

Is the Foundations series the one he based on the rise and fall of the Roman empire? It was one series I never read. 

That’s the one 

Trevor

On 7/2/2021 at 4:54 PM, Alan R said:

my wife would probably not speak to me again ... ever!

Yep.... but would there be also be a downside to that? Only kidding! (Tongue is very firmly in cheek, here).

Chris.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to Foundation and have now ordered a new Roku stick so I can sign up - the NOW TV ones won't do Apple TV, although they do Disney, Netflix & Prime without complaint.  So I wonder what variation of the stories they will do?  Some of the sequels, especially those written by other authors, tie in the Robot stories very closely and completely change the significance of some of the earlier books, including bits of non-Foundation Asimov stories and perhaps the biggest conspiracy theory of all time!  I particularly liked the one that explains why there are only dogs & apes in the Foundation universe, no aliens! 

• 4 months later...

After trying and failing to get Apple+ on my tellybox I was resigned to watching Foundation on my iPhone. However, Sky has decided to pick up the channel and I’m now set to go!

Halfway through episode 2 and I can safely say, not much (yet) has carried over from the books. The general premise is there, Hari Seldon is there and so is the Empire. 

I think I’ll treat this as a stand-alone and see if I can spot Asimov’s plot along the way.

Trevor

• Haha 2