AWM Models Yakovlev 40 Aeroflot 1:144

I finished this model in January of this year, but never posted it here, so might as well. I’m an absolute aficionado when it comes to Soviet civil airliners, so I was happy to get my hands on this kit.

It’s a great resin kit by AWM. The most accurate Yak-40 kit on the market and with the current exchange rate with the Rubble, not too expensive. I had a great time building it, but I had some trouble in the beginning with the glue as my superglue that I normally use didn’t work with this kind of resin. Eventually I used a special all-purpose glue that worked really well, but had the disadvantage of having a drying time of 24 hours. The cockpit decals are once again made by me, but the window decals are from PAS decals (I also bought the kit there).

As it was snowing in The Netherlands in January, I thought it would be fun to make the pictures in the snow. Russia is after all often associated with cold weather (strange actually, as it can be +40 Degrees Centigrade in summer).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pictures!

8803fb90e0379e943b5344fa54e8af37.jpg

546837f6de138cb4a72e3fc20b1d762f.jpg

13f64c6c2eb71a281351b7df6e860abb.jpg

cc5caa57834cce981e7d2ead76678abb.jpg

e7637fae640f1aef9be946b9ba9165ce.jpg

00850db7190a89ec879f5c5ace816b1f.jpg

076d50c202d8fd9bd67cc2bbd483c791.jpg

8f95e18620354ff96c83c745de3ef743.jpg

3a4ee02b4f97e71d66ca890effde7264.jpg

Regards,

Martijn

• Like 19

Lovely built, finished model and diorama, looks really convincing, thank you for sharing your work. :goodjob: 

For all my resin fixings I use a product called Gorilla Super Glue Gel, available on ebay.

You even have time to make adjustments before the glue sets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Martijn,

I can't decide if I like this plane. The plane, not your model which is splendid as usual. I think it's the fact that from the side it looks like a fast jet but from above the lack of any swept wing suggests it's a slow plane. All very confusing IMO.

Nice cockpit decals. Are those the decals supplied with the kit? I must say the fit around the cockpit is exceptional! 

What size is the model? I'm imagining it's quite small.

6 hours ago, Colin1967 said:

For all my resin fixings I use a product called Gorilla Super Glue Gel, available on ebay.

You even have time to make adjustments before the glue sets.

Colin, I'm going to have to check out some of this Gorilla Super Glue Gel. I think they sell it in B&Q too.

Cheers,

Ian

15 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

I can't decide if I like this plane

I agree ! Model looks ace in that freezing cold setting.. The Yak40 isn't a great looking 'plane though although I've never seen one !

You've done a great job as Ian said above. I might start to like the Yak !

Well done !

Edited by bzn20

17 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Martijn,

I can't decide if I like this plane. The plane, not your model which is splendid as usual. I think it's the fact that from the side it looks like a fast jet but from above the lack of any swept wing suggests it's a slow plane. All very confusing IMO.

Nice cockpit decals. Are those the decals supplied with the kit? I must say the fit around the cockpit is exceptional! 

What size is the model? I'm imagining it's quite small.

Colin, I'm going to have to check out some of this Gorilla Super Glue Gel. I think they sell it in B&Q too.

Cheers,

Ian

Yes worth checking out after I had disappointment using normal super glue, regards Colin.

Thanks for all the nice words guys! Much appreciated! I also think the Yak-40 isn't the best looking aircraft, but it's quite sturdy, exactly what it was designed for.

The yak-42 however, now there's a nice looking aircraft! I've build that one as well. Maybe I will post some pictures in RFI also.

On 11-8-2017 at 00:30, Turbofan said:

Are those the decals supplied with the kit? I must say the fit around the cockpit is exceptional! 

Yes, they came supplied with the kit. They are very good and a breeze to put on the model. There are in fact a total five Aeroflot livery's you can make (for two versions of the kit)

15 hours ago, Colin1967 said:

Yes worth checking out after I had disappointment using normal super glue, regards Colin.

I will get some for sure! You can buy it in The Netherlands as well I see. Thanks for the tip!

Nearly missed this one.  What a lovely model and a great series of photos of the little Russian jet in its natural habitat!  It may not be the most beautiful or elegant aircraft ever built but it was tough and reliable and did its job well.  There were even some sold to operators outside the Eastern bloc.

I have an AWM kit in my stash and it looks beautiful in the box. It's in a totally different class from the old AZ Model kit and I'm looking forward to building it.  

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Dave G

Thanks Dave!

You are right about the aircraft, more than a 1000 Yak-40's were build and more than a 100 were exported outside the Soviet Union

And yes, the AWM kit is really great. I'm also quite looking forward to building their TU-104 and TU-110 in the future!