Here is the list i manage to come up with, not 100% complete but close enough:

USMC Weapon Codes Vietnam

D 1 - Mk-81 250lb bomb  
D 2 - Mk-82 500lb bomb    
D 3 - Mk-83 1000lb bomb  
D 4 - Mk-84 2000lb bomb
D 5 - 2.75" rocket (19 tube pod)  
D 6 - AN-M66 2000lb      
D 7 - 5" Zuni rocket (4 tube pod LAU-10 or 2 tube LAU-33/35)  
D 8 - Mk-20 Rockeye  
D 9 - Mk-77 500lb naplam  
D 10 - ??  
D 11 - CBU-1A/A  
D 12 - ??  
D 13 - ??  
D 14 - CBU-24      
D 15 - CBU-29/49 (both use SUU-30 dispenser)  
D 16 - AIM-7  
D 17 - AIM-9    
D 18 - AGM-12 Bullpup 
D 19 - AGM-45 Shrike  
D 20 - 20mm  
D 21 - Mk-12 smoke tank  
D 22 - SUU-40 flare pod (listed as D22A)  
D 23 - Napalm size ?? (listed as D23A)
D 24 - Mk-4 gun pod    
D 25 - AN-M65 1000lb bomb  
D 26 - M117 750lb bomb  
D 27 - MK-36 Destructor (Mk-82 mine) 
D 28 - ??  
D 29 - AN-M59 1000lb SAP bomb    
D 30 - CBU-29A/B ? ? ?  
D 31 - AGM-62 Walleye  
D 32 - Mk-77 with CS gas    

Unknown Weapon Codes  

AN-M64 - 500lb GP bomb
AN-M81 - 260lb Frag AN-M57 - 250lb GP bomb  
Mk-79 - 1,000lb fire bomb

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Clever thread!

I don't like how certain aircraft, like the Mirage, F-15, F-16, F-18, Tornado, etc, look when loaded for bear; sometimes I don't even like how the gas jugs look hanging on them from their stores. There's something about the clean look on certain aircraft that it's ruined when loading ordnance on them.
Sometimes aircraft look better to me while having an open canopy. There's been times when I found it better for other aircraft to display figures, boarding ladders, weapon loading vehicles and support equipment all around them.
There have been times when a built aircraft has looked much better to me before painting than what it looked like after having finished painting, disregarding how good the paint job was done.
Some aircraft that I like much more in a derelict state than in service. Aircraft that look better with flaps and slats deployed.
Yet, some other aircraft, strike ones like the FB-111, A-4, A-6, A-7 or A-10 for instance, that I like with very few ordnance on them, as tho they had just arrived back from a bombing sortie.   
About the only aircraft that I ever liked having the wings full swept is the B-1B Lancer.
The one thing that I do like common to every aircraft I built is the weathered look on them - all the more so if heavy.

• Like 1

I note that the answers are mostly in relation to post WW2 aircraft.  What of types form an earlier time?

Obviously some aircraft self answer the question themselves more or less e.g. Spitfire Mk 1  would be clean I would suggest while the Stuka would proably be posed with a bomb load,  - well mostly.

But there are types when it could be optional  e.g. Typhoon - clean or with bombs or RPs?  Personally I think a Tiffie needs 8 RP's but that's just me.  On the other hand the Me 110 looks so much better "clean" as does the 109

No clear rule here, I may build one model with every pylon festooned with bombs and missiles and then the next would be totally clean. Really depends on what I'm trying to reproduce with that particular kit, a day on the line in peacetime or real operations or a publicity photo-shoot. Then there's the matter of time... sometimes I start a model with the intention of adding some load and then end up leaving the pylons empty because I have no will to work on the model anymore.

One thing I always try to do is follow real configurations, so proper loads for the timeframe and also the proper pylons configuration for the type, as some aircrafts retain some or all the pylons while others fly without them

On 11/8/2017 at 4:34 AM, alex said:

I prefer typical loads especially when I do some models which had some operational use. like:

- F-16CJ as used in Libya (AIM-9, AIM-120, HARM and all the pods)

- Rafale as well in Libya (with Apaches, and some MICA)

- A-4 in Vietnam (AGM-45 and Mk82)

- F-104 in QRA loadout

- Jag GR.1a Desert Storm

Agree that most heavily airplanes look like a Ferrary with a luggage rack on the roof, but that's what they were built for!

Alex

I'm agree with you I like to think on my models at the start of the mission!!! REady to GO

Best modeling

Armando