FJ-3/FJ-3M Fury

Sabrejet

Since Photof*cket managed to demolish my recent posts in the Kitty Hawk FJ-3 thread, and with the announcement of Sword's 1/72 FJ-3/3M (and FJ-2), I thought I'd re-post everything I put on that old thread, cleaned up a bit following other input and clarification from others (for which many thanks). So here goes.

FJ-3 production:

The prototype FJ-3 was BuNo 131931 (NAA model NA-196), a converted FJ-2.

The production aircraft were:

BuNo 135774 thru 136162 (NAA model NA-194) – 389 FJ-3

BuNo 139210 thru 139278 (NAA model NA-215) – 69 FJ-3M

BuNo 141364 thru 141443 (NAA model NA-215) – 80 FJ-3M

In 1962 the US Defense Department adopted a uniform system for designating military aircraft, and the FJ-3s were re-designated as follows:

FJ-3 became F-1C

FJ-3D became DF-1C

FJ-3M became MF-1C

FJ-3D2 became DF-1D

(FJ-4/4B at the same time were re-designated F-1E/AF-1E. As a further side-note the FJ-2 (out of service by this time) would have been the ‘F-1B’ (designation not used) and the FJ-1 retrospectively ‘F-1A’ (but again not used)).

FJ-3 schematics (all from NAA Aircraft Characteristics):

001 dwg (3a)

001 dwg (3)

001 dwg (1)

(All images onwards are US Navy Official, NAA Official or NMNA unless otherwise stated)

FJ-3 wing. There were 3 basic variants:

1.  Early FJ-3: narrow-chord wing with slats (BuNo 135774 thru 136117)

2. "version 1.5" wing - as above but with 5 off barrier engagement devices on wing leading edge (BuNo 135774 thru 136028 or later).

3. Later FJ-3: 6-3 unslatted leading edge with fence and camber; retaining barrier engagement devices (BuNo 136118 and on)

The 6-3 wing leading edge was later installed as a modification on many earlier FJ-3s. Incidentally, the overall dark blue factory finish gave way to gull gray over white in production sometime after BuNo.136028.

So in photos:

Wing 1:

wing 1d

Wing 2 ("version 1.5") with barrier engagement devices on leading edges (small fence-like pieces) - 4 on slats and 1 on inboard leading edge:

wing 1b

Wing 3 (image mirrored to better demonstrate differences, so ignore the wingtip pitot probe, which is on the stbd/RH wingtip):

wing 2a

Two Parts Catalog views to show the outer wing differences. Note particularly the camber on Item 8 in the second (Wing 3) drawing:

wing 1

wing 2

At the inboard end, the Wing 3 revision ('6-3') meant that the ammunition door/step was changed (very much like on the '6-3' F-86s), with the wing fillet part of the door on slatted wings (Wings 1 and 2) and a separate piece on 6-3 (Wing 3): note that the initial Kitty Hawk 3D renders showed a 'Wing 3' door/step with the fillet attached to it, which is incorrect.

wing 1a

You can just see the fillet hanging by a chain from the leading edge on this 'Wing 3' image:

Another lesser item: on the RH/stbd wing, inboard there was a gun camera, which was deleted on 6-3-wing FJ-3s. The window for the camera is Item 9 below:

wing 3

And a photo of the camera window:

wing 3a

Finally a Parts Catalog image showing the F-86A-type wingtip light fitted to FJ-3/3M:

wing 4

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Many thanks for the useful information. On the line drawing side view what is that forward of the main undercarriage on the fuselage ? Any tailhook and catapult hooks info would be useful as well.

Robert

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spaddad said:

Hi Sabrejet,

what a brilliant post, thanks. Will you be providing any more, hope so.

What, if anything, do you know about the Matchbox Fury, is it any good?

cheers,

spad

You might be better served by building either the Hobby Boss or Grand Phoenix -4 Furies. The Matchbox kit is accurate in outline but suffers from overly simplistic details typical of all the 1/48 Matchbox kits from the 80's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

I already have the Matchbox kit so will be building that, just wanted to know how best to improve it

I'd suggest a new seat for a start but it's all pretty basic. Long time since I built one but I recall the intake being rather small and not very deep. Fill panel lines and re-scribe too?

6 hours ago, Robert said:

Many thanks for the useful information. On the line drawing side view what is that forward of the main undercarriage on the fuselage ? Any tailhook and catapult hooks info would be useful as well.

Robert

All will be revealed in due course! :)

To finish off the wing bits. Again any photos are US Navy Official or NMNA.

All FJ-3s were able to be fitted with an in-flight refuelling probe, installed on the LH/port wing, just inboard of the wing tank pylon. The probe was not always fitted.

wing IFRa

wing IFR

All FJ-3s had pylons for carriage of 200-gallon drop tanks. Pylons were just inboard of the wing fold at BL 78.25. Note the rarely visible sway brace inboard (Items 34 thru 40 on Figure 43 and highlighted in photo)

wing tank

wing tank (2)

FJ-3 BuNo 136118 and subsequent had a second wing pylon, inboard of the drop tank pylon at BL 40.24 and these aircraft could carry Sidewinder AAM’s (Sidewinder-equipped aircraft were later designated FJ-3M from NAA model NA-215). The Sidewinder pylon fit comprised a MOD-D2 Missile Launcher (Item 1 in Figure 303 below), a MOD-3 Pylon (Item 2), and a Beam Assembly, 500-lb (Item 9).

wing sw (2)

wing sw 2

wing sw

Finally a couple of configurations which were available but I'm not sure were ever used in service:

1. Outboard pylons could be configured for “External Stores Package” (BuNo 136118 onwards):

wing pylon (1)

2. All four pylons (applicable aircraft) could be configured to carry 500-lb bombs, with each station (inbd/outbd) having slightly different fwd & aft pylon fairings. (BuNo 136118 onwards) - outboard at top, inboard pylon at bottom:

wing pylon (2)

Fuselage next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fuselage. Starting from the back:

Early FJ-3s had a plain, smooth-skinned rudder up to BuNo 139229:

tail (3a)

(photo Howard Levy)

tail (3aa)

A Splitter Rudder (this is the official Navy/NAA term) with visible ribbed skin was introduced from BuNo 139230 onwards. The Splitter Rudder was retrofitted onto earlier aircraft.

tail (3b)

(photo JMG Gradidge)

tail (3bb)

A similarly-configured Splitter Elevator was installed as a modification (no production fit of this tailplane), on aircraft later in service (Navy Reserve a/c only?). I can't find it on any frontline Navy FJ-3 or 3M and suspect it came in circa 1960 or later.

Thus, for the vast majority of FJ-3 models, the correct combination is either smooth rudder/smooth elevator or Splitter Rudder/smooth elevator. Unless you are doing a Navy Reserve FJ-3/F-1C then you won't have the Splitter Elevator. Here are three in-service tails, including a very late model FJ-3M (BuNo 141395) - all wearing the Splitter Rudder but not the elevator (Photos via Gradidge, Tailhook Assoc and NMNA):

tail 2b

tail 2a

tail 2

And here three withdrawn from service/preserved tails, with the VMF-333 a/c BuNo 135883 struck off Navy charge pre-1960 (Splitter Rudder/smooth elevator) and the two preserved examples being (middle - Splitter Rudder/smooth elevator) BuNo 141393 of Sabre Society of NC, which was struck off charge on 16th October 1963 and the Planes of Fame example, which is actually BuNo 135867 but painted as "141435" in spurious VF-73 colours (with Splitter Elevator). This machine was struck off charge on 12th February 1964. Note also that, as seen on BuNo 141393 of Sabre Society (struck off charge on 16th October 1963), not even all the aircraft in service at that late date had the Splitter Elevator.

tail

tail 141393 soc 16Oct63

tail 135867 soc 12Feb64 as 141435

All FJ-3s had facility to tow aerial targets and a single pickup/hook/release was located on the rear fuselage, aft of the tail bumper, and on the RH/starboard side. Highlighted in the following photo (US Navy official), which also nicely demonstrates the wing leading edge camber of 6-3-winged FJ-3s.

tail target pickup 2

A close-up of the tow target hook (photo courtesy Mark Nankivil), and also good detail of the tail bumper:

tail target pickup

Turning to the underside, there were (aside from the arrestor hook, which I will cover later), four notable items: (1) - Barrier Pickup Tube, (2) - Catapult Hook, (3) - Catapult Holdback Pendant, and (4) - Tail Bumper (see below annotated USN Official photo):

tail pendant 1

The Barrier Pickup Tube was designed to extend when required, to provide better barrier engagement in the event of a barrier-arrested landing. It was red/white striped in the same way as the arrestor hook (photos JMG Gradidge, USN Official and Tailhook Assoc):

pickup tube3

pickup tube 2

pickup tube4

pickup tube

The Catapult Hook was a fixed item, attached to the Centre Wing Box and on early aircraft in a tapered fairing; but on most/later FJ-3s, housed in a parallel-sided fairing as per the annotated photo above. See following photos (courtesy Tailhook Assoc), with tapered version first and parallel-sided version following.

strop 2

strop 1

strop

The Catapult Holdback Pendant is rarely-seen, but when required was used to hold back the aircraft against the catapult force until a pre-determined load, at which time a frangible portion of the Holdback Cable (attached to the aircraft carrier deck) would break, allowing the aircraft to surge forward with more impulse than if the catapult had just been fired alone. The Holdback Cable was attached to Item 17 in the second illustration below, and the Holdback Pendant, hinged at its forward end, was sprung-loaded towards the shut position. When the Holdback Cable broke, there would be a small part of the frangible portion retained in the Holdback Pendant, which had automatically sprung shut. Upon landing it would be opened by the flight deck crew, who would remove the frangible part and repeat the operation.

tail pendant (2)

tail pendant (1)

The Holdback Pendant is never easy to see, but I have highlighted it (red dotted line) in the below photo (photo Mark Nankivil):

pendant

And here an idea of how the Catapult Hook and Holdback Pendant worked in service:

tail pendant (3)

And finally, a quick illustration of the Tail Bumper:

tail bumper

A few more bits from the aft fuselage, starting with the arrestor hook and associated doors:

tail arrestor (1)

tail arrestor (2)

tail arrestor (3)

And the speed brakes:

speed brake

speed brake 2

Also a few odds and ends of associated Ground Equipment. Photos are via Tailhook Assoc/NMNA. Firstly the wing stays:

stay 4

stay 3

stay

And a dedicated aft-towing arm:

towing arm

And finally an adaptor assembly for use with a standard engine change trolley:

t engine stand

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Main Landing Gear:

LG (1)

LG (2)

Nose Landing Gear: note that it's called "Auxiliary Alighting Gear" here. I'm OK with "Alighting Gear" but have never seen nose landing gear referred to as "Auxiliary".

LG (4)

LG (5)

LG (3)

Canopy: the area aft of the ejection seat is less busy than on most F-86s.

tcanopy 5

At the aft end, the main part visible is the cylindrical Cabin Pressure Regulator (Item 8 below):

t canopy 2a

Whilst at the forward end, the U-shaped aerial for the AN/ARN-14 radio is a prominent feature. It was mounted onto the seat armour plate and therefore did not move aft when the canopy was opened:

t canopy 3a

Photos don't show it very well, but I've highlighted it as best I can in the following photos (USN Official):

tcanopy 4

tcanopy 4a

This is the Barrier Guard, installed forward of the windshield on the RH/starboard side: it was only installed in BuNo 135774 thru 135812, and removed as part of Service Change No.77.

barrier guide (2a)

barrier guide (1)

Angle of Yaw Probe, effective BuNo.136118 onwards, which protrudes from the top of the intake ring on many FJ-3/3M. I've shown it here on these Tailhook/NMNA photos:

z2

z3z1

Angle of Attack Probe, effective all FJ-3/3M and fitted only on port/LH side (highlighted by red circle, USN official):

xxx1

cockpit (1)

Cannon installation:

guns (1)

guns (4)

guns (2)

Ammo bins and door/footstep. Note that the door was usually silver/NMF, but I have seen the odd dark green one too. Photos are US Navy official, NMNA and Tailhook Association:

guns (3a)

door 2

door 3

door 4

door 6

door

There were three basic cannon blast panel configurations (USN Official first two, JMG Gradidge third photo):

The oval version (first photo) below was applicable from BuNo 135774 thru 135780 and 135782 thru 135872. The version with squarer sides to the blast tube orifices (second photo) was introduced in production on BuNo 135781 alone, then on all aircraft from BuNo 135873 onwards. This later type was retrofitted to most earlier aircraft too.

guns 1

guns 2

Not a production version, but on many FJ-3D/D-2 (DF-1C/DF-1D) drone control aircraft, the lower/aft cannon was removed and its blast panel orifice blanked off:

guns 3

Another rarely-seen item: the fuselage-mounted Ram Air Turbine (starboard/RH side only), which was sometimes extended on the ground (and hopefully never in the air!). Photo courtesy NMNA.

RAT

RAT (2)

RAT (1)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Ejection Seat:

Quite a well-known image, but hopefully worth another look (USN Official)

seat

Instrument Panel:

cockpit (3)

cockpit (4)

cockpit (5)

cockpit (6)

Couple more...

cockpit (7)

cockpit (8)

Mk 11 Mod 1 Gunsight:

Mk 11 mod 1

I suspect that a few may model the forward radio equipment bay with its hatch removed, so here are a few of that area. The top illustration also shows a few bits of equipment aft of the seat and also the LH/port-side console.

And though not the best, the following shot (Courtesy Tailhook Association) shows the area and panel internal structure for colour reference.

xx

Almost done: not the most colourful colour scheme, but certainly something different: FJ-3 BuNo 135908/201 of VF-21 at NAS Oceana in October 1955, in probably the first attempt at a gull gray over white colour scheme. Points to note are the dark blue fwd equipment bay panel and drop tanks, mid-fuselage paint demarcation line and slatted wings (very few slatted FJ-3s had the gull gray/white colour scheme).

(Photos courtesy the late Bruce Robertson)

a

b

c

Et finis!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Almost done: not the most colourful colour scheme, but certainly something different: FJ-3 BuNo 135908/201 of VF-21 at NAS Oceana in October 1955, in probably the first attempt at a gull gray over white colour scheme. Points to note are the dark blue fwd equipment bay panel and drop tanks, mid-fuselage paint demarcation line and slatted wings (very few slatted FJ-3s had the gull gray/white colour scheme).

(Photos courtesy the late Bruce Robertson)

In my view she loses her mean look in that scheme. All a bit tamed down, like the new Polish Fitter scheme :( ..... now I'll head for a bunker! ;)

Martin

Sabrejet,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now I can't wait to get my hands on the Sword kits! Thanks to you, a lot of us have the references we need to crank out some nice Furies! I really appreciate your generosity and the time you have taken to prepare and post this reference material for all of us. One big reason  why I consider this site and the modelers who frequent it the best there is. Truly we are a  band of brothers. Thanks again.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, spaddad said:

I already have the Matchbox kit so will be building that, just wanted to know how best to improve it

The AMS Resin cockpit set is very nice. It will dress up the cockpit comparatively with the newer Furies. It also supplies a replacement rudder as the MB kit's is segmented only on one side. It should have it on both. Also AMS Resin may have replacement wheels as well.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

For more illustrations of the ADF system and the difference between early FJ-2s and the FJ-3, see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2015/11/fj-3-canopy-details.html

Thanks, Tommy! Between what you and Sabrejet have posted, there is no excuse for us not having adequate reference material to do some decent Furies! I am grateful to you both.

Mike

13 hours ago, spaddad said:

thanks jpk

I sent an email to Hairold at AMS re his FJ-4 cockpit set. It seems it may be out of production at the moment. Hopefully he will reply to my email with info about the potential availability of the set. I think it would fit the MB kit with some work. It has been a long time since I've had the MB kit.