Tamiya Mclaren honda MP4/4 1/20 My 1st build

Hi

My First Build in 20 years coming back to the hobby.

Built straight out of the box with only the tobacco decals added, everything has been hand painted except for the white and fluorescent red on the body and wings.

I will have another go at this in the future because I know I can do better, just a matter of finding this kit at a reasonable price.

IMG_0006

IMG_0008

IMG_0009

• Like 7

Loving this, what a great looking model. Superb finish and first kit in 20 years! Wow

I have one stashed in the cupboard and your right it's not a cheap kit. 

Did you use the Tamiya fluorescent red?

Sadly, I have the MP4/2, 4, 5b, 7 & 8 all unstarted (eBay is a curse) and the red is a constant worry. I have the Zero Mclaren and TS spray and will be shortly going to Donnington Motor Museum with a swatch of both colours to test.

Sad I know but you get to a certain age and there's only certain interests your knees will allow you to do!

Keep the cars coming.

Regards

John

Thanks Hugh

I used Ts-36 fluoresent red (I can't get zero paints in OZ) and it looks great in person, the photos tend to make the paint look darker also the more coats you do it tends to get darker as well

BTW I visited the Donnington motor museum last year and it was great I took heaps of photos and didn't want to leave, sadly no MP4/4 there :( but there are plenty of other Mclarens there

Hears a snap of an MP4/5B

• Like 1

I can't quite see from your photo, but is that the molded-in harness painted or did you remove that and add something after-market?

I have the MP4/7 waiting for decals, a tyre template, and some wiring bits; but I was a bit disappointed to see the molded-in belt. I've seen someone remove them, but I wouldn't tackle it. On a Fujimi kit, I used Tamiya's adhesive belt set, which was fiddly but neat.

T-d-j you've done a great job a this kit especially as it's you first in 20 years having made this kit already I know it's not the easiest in some bits around the engine. And also you haven't got the bowed rear wing main plane like some other guys (including myself) have as the struts in the centre are sometimes a little too long. 

Shaun