Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi Russ, great finish on the Choctaw.  Could you post some hints and tips on how you get your great results brush painting please. Have you done any NMF by brush ?  I have tried Humbrol metal cote but could not get that to polish. Now trying Mr Hobby metaliser which is working well on small areas but I can't get an even finish on larger areas.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, twinpin said:

Hi Russ, great finish on the Choctaw.  Could you post some hints and tips on how you get your great results brush painting please. Have you done any NMF by brush ?  I have tried Humbrol metal cote but could not get that to polish. Now trying Mr Hobby metaliser which is working well on small areas but I can't get an even finish on larger areas.

Cheers Twinpin,

 Brush painting, well a lot of miss-spent years practising mainly. You`ve probably been told this by other people, but here goes: two thin coats is better than one thick one, let the paint dry properly between coats ( I usually leave for 24 hrs ), try and brush in one direction if possible. 

My method is: paint the assembled model in one coat of matt grey. then paint the lightest colour first, then the darker colours. I then draw the panel lines in with a mechanical pencil, followed by gloss varnish, then decals then matt varnish. Next I weather the model and knock the pencilled in panel lines back with various shades of olive drab and greys depending on the colour of the subject. Lastly a final matt,satin or gloss varnish to finish.

I`m not great at NMF but when I attempt it I paint a matt black or grey base coat, then silver of choice ( Humbrol 191 Chrome usually ), paint the silver in the direction of the airflow. Two coats usually but make sure it`s properly dry. Then I Future/Klear the whole thing, next I pick out strategic panels and paint them in a slightly darker or lighter silver to break the mono silver up. Then I do decals, matt varnish, panels lines as above and any weathering. Then usually another couple of coats of Future/Klear or varnish of choice.

Hope this makes sense and is of some help to you.

BTW I use Humbrol Enamels for every thing, I don`t get on with Acryilics as they dry to quickly for me and don`t stand up well to my rough handling.

Good Luck and keep practicing  and experimenting

All best Russ 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,Russ - No matter what subject you choose to display, your builds all look the same to me.

That is - beautifully detailed,finished and imaginatively portrayed!

This magnificent 'Choctaw' is no exception.Great work as always.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome work Russ.  A "war" like no other with so much aviation interest and even more human tragedy.  In particular, I found the story of the Ravens incredible and Long Tieng is high up on my must visit places in Asia.  Now need to check out the rest of your Laos collection!

Edited by feifeitim
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, feifeitim said:

Awesome work Russ.  A "war" like no other with so much aviation interest and even more human tragedy.  In particular, I found the story of the Ravens incredible and Long Tieng is high up on my must visit places in Asia.  Now need to check out the rest of your Laos collection!

Cheers `f`,

I`m off work next week so keep checking back on the`Tags` as I`ll be replacing the PB images on my previous posts if you`re interested. The Chris Robbins book on the Ravens is an amazing read.

Regards Russ

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Another stunner Russ!

I am loving your "Secret War series" and have had an interest for years since reading "The Ravens", what's next in the series?

Cheers `MM`, Apart from reloading my Air America and Secret War previous posts over the next week, I`m currently working on an Air America Huey  and I`ve a Revell Wessex that I intend to convert into an Air America S-58T some time in the future.

All the best, Russ

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Russ, when I read that you brush paint all your kits, my jaw bounced off the keyboard!   I can barely get a decent finish out of an airbrush and you're doing museum quality stuff with a brush!   Fabulous build of an really neat kit.  And I love your secret war stuff.  (My dad was one of the sheep dipped contractors that worked on LS85 back in the day.) 

Stellar work as always sir! 

Don

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Don said:

Russ, when I read that you brush paint all your kits, my jaw bounced off the keyboard!   I can barely get a decent finish out of an airbrush and you're doing museum quality stuff with a brush!   Fabulous build of an really neat kit.  And I love your secret war stuff.  (My dad was one of the sheep dipped contractors that worked on LS85 back in the day.) 

Stellar work as always sir! 

Don

Thanks very much Don, glad you like the `Secret War` stuff and Wow ! your Dad worked on LS85. Must have some interesting stories that he`s not allowed to tell you :smile: if you get my drift. I did get and build a Colt, that I was going to portray as an LS85  attacker but got bogged down with all the conflicting opinions regarding markings and the like, so built it as a straight aircraft. I may revisit the subject one day ( I`m beginning to believe the national insignia was painted out on them ). 

Russ

 

Thanks also to everyone who`s responded for the kind words and likes, appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice job Russ, for a helo that never existed... Ha! Like everyone else< I just can't believe you can get that good a finish without using an airbrush. Wow. And your blade droop is amazingly consistent all around - very nice. I did hear though, that the co-pilot was a "Skoal" man, so there should be tobaccy stains out the window! Or maybe he just chewed 'nuts. Thanks for a great job!

Thom Ream

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...