Sikorsky H-34 Choctaw, RLAF/Air America,

Hi Everyone,

Thought I`d share some pic`s of my latest addition to my collection of `Secret War in Laos` collection

exgXN7M.jpg

My second attempt at Gallery Models 1/48, H-34 Choctaw kit

0Uau03p.jpg

Finished in the markings of the Royal Laos Air Force, but based at Udorn Thailand and partly operated by Air America during the `Secret War`

FkTPTr4.jpg

Built mostly from the box contents, the only differences being, pipes/cables for the winch, brake pipes and, antenna fit, which were sourced from the spares box or carved out of a bit of clothes peg.

rijVUrw.jpg

Improved the kit a bit by removing the plastic from behind the etched mesh parts, to give a see through look

7OeSCXP.jpg

Decals were sourced from the spares stash and some from the kit

VRrxST2.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ.

PS, if anybodies interested in the subject I`ll be gradually replacing the PB images in previous posts as I get time.

• Like 60
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, russ c said:

PS, if anybodies interested in the subject I`ll be gradually replacing the PB images in previous posts as I get time.

It's a subject I love! Very nice rendition of this piece of history! I would like to do a similar subject in Italian style! ;)

• Like 1

When I saw the first photograph, I thought it was a reference shot of the real thing :o!

Sublime paintwork Russ, a stunning model. The backdrop and photographs are great too.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

PS: Yes, restore the pictures slowly, we're definitely interested ;).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Another beautifully finished model Russ and in a scheme I don't remember seeing before! Are you still brush painting these? Even more remarkable if you are!

Keith

Yeah, `fraid so Keith, I`ve still not got the hang of the Airbrush. :weep:  Can`t beat them for blowing sanding dust out of partially finished builds though :whistle:

Thanks to everyone for your positive feedback and likes, appreciated

• Like 2

Another great subject, Russ. Like at least one other co-respondent, I did a double-take with the first photo thinking it was a reference shot of the actual subject !.

Great, great work and a real inspiration to me right now since current domestic circumstances dictate my use of hairy sticks rather than my trusty airbrush.

Keep up the good work

Mark

• Like 1

Russ ... quick question ? I need one of these H-34 choctaw's for a future project. I see you used a Gallery kit. Is that only in 1/48th ? Theres an aftermarket resin replacement for the parts i would need in 1/72. I may go with 1/48th and use the A/M pieces for measurements to make what i need. Just curious if they do it in 1/72nd ? In case you're curious i will be making an S-58T that lives near me and is used for heavy lift/cargo in the midwest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Russ ... quick question ? I need one of these H-34 choctaw's for a future project. I see you used a Gallery kit. Is that only in 1/48th ? Theres an aftermarket resin replacement for the parts i would need in 1/72. I may go with 1/48th and use the A/M pieces for measurements to make what i need. Just curious if they do it in 1/72nd ? In case you're curious i will be making an S-58T that lives near me and is used for heavy lift/cargo in the midwest.

Hi `C`,  Gallery Models is of Trumpeter/HobbyBoss origin, I believe that HobbyBoss did ( or do ) a 1/72nd H-34 kit. I don`t know how similar they are in quality though.

Hope this helps.

Hope you liked the build ?

Cheers Russ

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

In 1/72 there is also one from Italeri (uh-34j), so as in the larger scale (1/48) in an intriguing "all gloss orange" version!

• Like 1

Hello Russ,

Job well done. The SH-34 and the Westland Wessex are my favorite subject.

Also my compliments for the photographie.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1