Airfix F4F Wildcat

Hello all.

My latest build is the Airfix Wildcat. All in all a neat little kit and in my opinion one of their best yet. I stuck with the kit markings and used Sovereign Colourcoats enamels. Weathering was done using oils and pigments.

oFhpiUlh.jpg

MmJJ4DIh.jpg

uz4JOWoh.jpg

Kwfcu02h.jpg

Al8x1hJh.jpg

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome!

Edited by IanC
  • Like 38

Yes, apologies - 1/72. Now corrected..

Tony - It's the first boxing (A02070) with two decal options. I went for VMF-223 at Guadalcanal.

Colours used are ACUS05 USN Light Gray and ACUS06 USN Blue Gray. I don't normally use enamels but on this occasion I didn't fancy trying to mix the blue-gray as it seems to be quite a tricky shade to achieve.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Pardon my ignorance but 1/72?

Martin

Its the only scale Airfix do a Wildcat in. For Tony, I think this is one of the options on the full kit Wildcat boxing, Midway & Guadalcanal schemes. I'm up for the latter,after reading "Cactus Airforce" which I think this one is.

Ian sorry to butt in & answer for you, I do like the job you've done on this, really tidy.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

I love these new Airfix kits, don't you?

I certainly do! I've found that some are easier to put together than others but they're all fun to tinker with, and look the business when completed. 

I've a few Revell, Tamiya and Eduard kits also waiting patiently in the stash, but for some reason I always seem to pull out a red box when inspiration strikes!   

Really great build and finish

I'm a bit of a fan of the US aircraft of the era

Your effort here looks superb in the colour and detail

Well done indeed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Stunning Little build, the quite complex undercarriage went well together ?

Thanks Bernd. Yes, the gear goes together well but it's a little fiddly. It's possibly the reason why I'm in no hurry to build the Martlet. ;)

But it's a crucial bit to get right on an F4F and I think Airfix did a very good job.

• Like 1