Hasegawa 1:72 Jaguar GR.1a 54 sqn 1991

FZ6

I've always been a fan of the Jaguar and I have been recently inspired by the reading a copy of the Jaguar Boys that I picked up in the Works and after reloading pictures of my Airfix Jaguar I've decided I'm going to build a Hasegawa Jaguar GR.1a

Hasegawa GR.1a

I've had the Italeri Jaguar and thought this was ok but despite being a newer model it's nowhere near the quality and accuracy of the Hasegawa kit. The Hasegawa kit is not without it's faults though and could do with some help. Some of the antennae are far too thick and need replacing. The wheel wells are shallow and boxed in without detail and the cockpit is a nice blank canvas for adding detail. There are no drop tanks and weapons are limited.

The following goodies have been purchased to help with the construction of this model.

Hasegawa GR.1a

They will add the extra level of finesse required to build an impressive looking Jaguar along with the extra parts required.

I plan to build this Jaguar as ZX112 in special markings for the 75th anniversary of 54 sqn in 1991 with the blue and yellow checkers in the drop tanks.

https://flic.kr/p/d6kiDo

the same aircraft also sported a special scheme in 2005 and I'm tempted to get a second Jaguar and show it as a GR.3a in this later scheme and display them as a pair as the Model Alliance Decals are still available from Hannants.

Ive made a start carefully cutting out the doors for the main undercarriage bays. This has been done with my trusty JLC razor saw which I don't think I could do without these days. I've been able to keep the doors intact as well in case I need to glue them back in the closed position.

Hasegawa GR.1a

Nest job is to make some wheel wells.

I'm away from home this week and this has all being posted from my phone using the Flickr app so hope the photos display ok. Thanks for looking, 

Mark

• Like 6

I think the Hasegawa kit is one that I'd like to build, so I'll hang about and watch this if you don't mind Mark :).  Bill (Perdu) did a build recently that might be worth checking out.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

Thanks Fritag,

Glad to have you along as I'm sure your expertise will come in handy.

7 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I think the Hasegawa kit is one that I'd like to build, so I'll hang about and watch this if you don't mind Mark :).  Bill (Perdu) did a build recently that might be worth checking out.

If you mean this thread I did follow it at the time and will be really useful and the end result is impressive.

Regards, 

Mark

• Thanks 1

Well I'd be daft to miss this un wouldn't I?

Do compare the length and curve of the nose profile won't you, it was the biggest whinge I had if my memory is still ticking over

Reworking the wheel bays area is a good place to start

Oh yes, pictures are coming in nicely too

Have fun Mark

b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

On 09/08/2017 at 0:22 PM, perdu said:

Well I'd be daft to miss this un wouldn't I?

Do compare the length and curve of the nose profile won't you, it was the biggest whinge I had if my memory is still ticking over

Reworking the wheel bays area is a good place to start

Oh yes, pictures are coming in nicely too

Have fun Mark

b

Thanks for the info Perdu. I have had a look back through your thread and it looks like you made the nose profile more rounded and shortened it by 2mm. I'll have to do the same.

I've managed to do some more work on the Jaguar over the last day or so. I started off my making some wheel wells out 40 thou plasticard.

Hasgawa Jaguar

I cut the basic box slightly larger than required and gradually trimmed it down till I got a perfect fit. 

This picture shows how neatly I managed to cut out the doors and how easy it is to fit them back into position once the bays are built.

Hasgawa Jaguar

I decided to fix the front halves to he nose halves and the rear fuselage for a neater fit which worked really well.

Hasgawa Jaguar

The oversized ladder can be used for other detail purposes

Hasgawa Jaguar

I have made a start on detailing the wheel wells using various scraps of plasticard and   A drinks can. The ladder was cut up and used as hydraulic connectors.

Hasegawa Jaguar

Hasegawa Jaguar

Hasgawa Jaguar

Next job is to detail the other side to match and add hydraulic pipes for extra detail.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 3

You are right about the doors, the fit is excellent

I need a saw that thin and precise, on the shopping list now  :thumbsup:

Good start with the wheel bays, there are lots of very good photos of the bay interiors and the airbrake bays with the fuel filler in the starboard and the APU thingy in the port bay Many of which are in the Britmodeller Walkarounds

This is great timing Mark; I'm looking at 1/72 Jaguars at the moment with that 'want one' urge :D!

This kit gets good reviews. I hope it's ok to pull up a seat and see how it all pans out for you?

Very nice detailing; I like the use of can metal and recycling of the ladder :thumbsup2: 

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks for the comments so far. Sounds like we'll be seeing more Jaguars on here in the near future.

No further progress on my Jaguar but I thought I'd sort through the walkaround photos of the Jaguar ACT I took at RAF Cosford and post them on here for reference.

First up is the main landing gear bay. It's a pity I didn't take pics of the other side.....

36162916400_37c6670d6c_b.jpg

Jaguar ACT Walkaround by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

36559644175_b0c6f84794_b.jpg

36559643815_e309999b1c_b.jpg

36559643435_933242547d_b.jpg

The rest of the Album is here on Flickr and I will post pics in this thread as I get to work on the relevant parts but if you want a sneak peek at the album before I post the pics you can view them here.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1cfLsf

On 8/10/2017 at 10:39 PM, perdu said:

You are right about the doors, the fit is excellent

I need a saw that thin and precise, on the shopping list now  :thumbsup:

Good start with the wheel bays, there are lots of very good photos of the bay interiors and the airbrake bays with the fuel filler in the starboard and the APU thingy in the port bay Many of which are in the Britmodeller Walkarounds

I use a JLC saw I picked up from Little Cars or is it Modelling Tools now? The saw was £15 a small price to pay for a modelling tool that changes your life! :) I wouldn't be without it now.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 2

Good pictures

Exacto razor saws changed my modelling for the better when I discovered them something like fifty years ago

These of your will be a step change higher up the evolutionary ladder