Me 109F Trop Airfix 1/48

Hi mates,

as usual I'm abroad for work and I havn't got any updates on ongoing projects, so I've decided to post an old one I carried out in 2000,when i decided to come back to aircraft modelling after many years.

The model was an old Airfix and , gift from a friend who had had it for years in his stash and it showed its age, but the shape was quite accurateand the raised panel lines weren't that many to be rescribed, so I decided to have a go with it.Unfortunately I haven't got any pictures of the progressing works ,as I didn't have a digital camera at that time.

B67u4zO.jpg

uWiSLHN.jpg

At that time there weren't any resin set for the engine bay, so I decided to add an Aires DB 601 engine and cockpit.

VSJL9jR.jpg

FtI6gE7.jpg

The decal sheet I used was by Third Group and depicted several aircraft among which I chose Black 4.

I0f77zC.jpg

As the canopy supplied with the kit was...a bit thick, I purchased one by Squadron.

XrLCwPc.jpg

The build took a few months. I rescribes the panel lines and I scratch built what's around the engine. At the end I was quite happy with the result. Here're some pictures.

RB16qB9.jpg

wrKh6lD.jpg

xvQi47D.jpg

tRWpqKw.jpg

ogTS92r.jpg

To give it a bit of life, I added a couple of engineers by Dragon, but I didn't like them, and they were a little too dressed for an african environment, so the model was left for a while like this, waiting for better times!

RFBYKp8.jpg

HBQdm5a.jpg

0Z3agoz.jpg

D9PplV1.jpg

TYcBlUK.jpg

V465uTp.jpg

TYcBlUK.jpg

0Z3agoz.jpg

ZnHApmj.jpg

9TGbHYM.jpg

Then one day, after a few years, I saw this and I thought it would have been a nice addition to my 109.

5JjZy7I.jpg

I also found these guys and they looked perfect for th purpose.

dG3U15w.jpg

So I took  a wooden base I had bought in the States and I wentback to work.

I assembled the guys first.

y96E8mx.jpg

X1yQYti.jpg

XVrmjSr.jpg

Then I tried different layouts , trying to keep it balanced and to avoid the "too crowdy" effect.

EokjQKb.jpg

GPnhQAj.jpg

o9LR4hn.jpg

GPnhQAj.jpg

Once happy with the layout, I went on with the painting process.

XVrmjSr.jpg

Vc7DFNp.jpg

And now some pictures of the ending result.

2CqOAny.jpg

U0p3J0G.jpg

8dwH25G.jpg

1M0BMGg.jpg

raseRYo.jpg

Qv05Q2l.jpg

cq6LywG.jpg

0SbmeL2.jpg

gv71pjK.jpg

nfaHKsE.jpg

Q5GXxV6.jpg

ydn8GdT.jpg

aC77oRZ.jpg

uaVaX0p.jpg

7gvQ0Kc.jpg

XxV2zKG.jpg

CAO4rwv.jpg

qSoSdum.jpg

Gzlx8UT.jpg

T8GezM3.jpg

0L13yJ6.jpg

W9NizZB.jpg

oel9lib.jpg

adnHboF.jpg

UyM0ytA.jpg

TyahmyZ.jpg

WHydu58.jpg

2bXSvGl.jpg

HtWmKZC.jpg

lMRhDfv.jpg

That's it!

Hope you like it!

Massimo

• Like 32

Brilliant Massimo, that is a superb dio, great modelling all around. it only needs some 1/48 flies to complete the sense of realism. ;):D

I can see we have some treats to look forward to from you.

Steve.

• Haha 1

That is an inspired, and inspiring, diorama! The dramaturgical logic is perfect and full of life and clever little touches. I love the fact the the front wheels of the Kübel are offset, for example.

The fact that the basic kit is old and may be overlooked by many, makes the result even better.

A humbling show of modelling savvy!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1