Henschel Hs 123B

Here's one that crept up on me!   The new Henschel Hs 123B from GasPatch Models in 1/48.

HS001.JPG

Just looking at the box, one can see this is a quality kit!  The box is very sturdy with an opening top.

HS002.JPG

HS003.JPG

HS004.JPG

there are two sets of lower halves for the lower wing to provide for the two undercarriage options.

HS005.JPG

The decal sheet, windscreen mask and PE.  The cardboard looking thing on the left is a jig to allow the undercarriage to be set up correctly.  

HS006.JPG

And a quick look at the instruction booklet.  This is a work of art!

HS007.JPG

• Like 4

Great - I have been itching to get this kit.  Looks really a quality product. 

Now I have somebody to try it out for me first!  I'll pull up a chair, if you don't mind.

Philip

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As is usual for me, I've completed the model but utterly neglected to uodate the build thread. :banghead:     So here are a few photos.

One reason for doing a build thread is that one can note any issues with the build and suggest ways to resolve those issues.   There's just one teensy little problem with that.

There are no issues with this kit!    I could not believe it.  It's a biplane yet it just falls together.  There are some areas where I thought that the parts were over engineerd and would cause problems - but they didn't.  What an excellent kit!

There are nearly twenty components in the cockpit, but the engineering is superb and they all fit nicely.

HS008.JPG

There are two alternative lower wing components depending on which undercarriage bits you want to fit.  I opted for the fully spatted undercarriage.  The fuselage is shown clipped together which is why there appears to be a huge gap along the spine. :)  

HS009.JPG

Fuselage and lower wing glued together, primed with Alclad2 grey primer.  The yellow band was masked roughly and sprayed with Fiat Broom Yellow from a rattle can.

The dorsal fairing behind the cockpit has a very subtle cutout to allow the baggage compartment door to be positioned open. The subtle shape is represented perfectly.  The modeller can build the compartment open, in which case there is an interior part.

The upper wing is the metal clad version for the HS123B.  If you buy the HS123A kit, there is a different sprue with a fabric upper wing.

HS010.JPG

The colour scheme is incredibly simple.  RLM71 green uppersurfaces with RLM65 blue lowersurfaces.  I used Lifecolor UA-502 for the green and UA-503 for the blue.

HS011.JPG

This shows the incredible attention to detail shown by GasPatch.  There us a jig uncluded to allow the undercarriage to be fitted correctly.  I don't think it is totally necessary for the spatted option, but it will be essential for the other two options.

HS012.JPG

• Like 1

Radial engines rock, right?   So here is the radial engine fitted.

HS013.JPG

You will notice that the struts are also fitted.  They simply plug into deep slots in the uper and lower wings.  There is no room for uncertainty - everything just fits...

A close up of the engine and exhausts.  The exhausts are four complex parts.  I have had problems with similar assemblies in other kits.  I never seem to be able to get them aligned correctly.  Well guess what?  There are no such problems with this kit...    can you see a pattern emerging here? :D

HS014.JPG

I had some major concerns about the cowling.  It has to be built from twelve components and I thought that was just pure over-engineering to raise the parts count. Ill fitting parts in such a very noticeable area would spoil the look of the model totally.

I shouldn't have worried...

HS015.JPG

HS016.JPG

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

very nice..so where can I get one ?  

Have a look here.  I've got my eye on the A version in Spanish civil War markings.

http://www.gaspatchmodels.com/henschel-hs-123/

Now we're ready for the stickers...  :fool:

HS017.JPG

• Like 5

I blinked and missed this coming together Enzo.  It looks like you are on course for finishing by the weekend :)

If I recall correctly, there's not too much rigging (if any?).

Cliff