Obsolete Kit build - Airfix Mirage F1

Enzo the Magnificent

A few years ago we had an Obsolete Kit groupbuild.  The idea was to build a kit that had been superseded by a more modern kit.  It was quite a popular GB.

This build is in the same spirit.  It is the Airfic Mirage F1 from 1979.  The Airfix kit was not the first FG1 in 1/72. I believe that honour went to the Heller kit from the previous year.  The Hasegawa kit was released in 1983.  All three still build into nice models but all have been rendered obsolete by the new Special Hobby kit.

I shall be building this using the South African decals from the kit.

AF1-001.JPG

AF1-002.JPG

AF1-003.JPG

The kit has no cockpit to speak off - just a rear bulkhead and instrument panel.  I added a crude floor from plastic card and called it quits.  I've added some ballast behind the cockpit.

AF1-004.JPG

And then I got carried away!  I forgot to take photos as I was assembling the thing and only remembered when it was built, filled and primed!  :banghead:    For the record, it went together rather nicely. The only places that needed filler were the wing roots - only to be expected really.

AF1-005.JPG

• Like 4

I made one of these when it came out, I was very pleased with it back then, quite keen to see how this one comes out.

Just remember to take some more photos as you go!

Now carry on as if you were normal!

• 1 month later...
On 07/08/2017 at 22:45, Wez said:

Just remember to take some more photos as you go!

I took the photos!  Just forgot to post them! :wall:   So let's make up for that.

The uppersurfaces were sprayed with Lifecolor UA081  RLM 79 Sand Yellow.  I tried about a dozen different sand and desert yellow colours until I came up with one which looked the part.

AF1-006.JPG

Worms...   and Copydex

AF1-007.JPG

The green is Lifecolor UA257 Olive Drab Deep Shade.

AF1-008.JPG

Undersurfaces (which can't be seen very well) are sprayed with Lifecolor UA124 Japanese Grey Green A5.

AF1-009.JPG

After touchups and a bit of detail painting.

AF1-010.JPG

Kit decals applied.

AF1-011.JPG

• Like 7

This must be the last day of the GB.  How can you tell?  Well... Enzo is posting his finished pictures. :lol:

AF1-012.JPG

AF1-013.JPG

AF1-014.JPG

AF1-015.JPG

AF1-016.JPG

This kit was a lot of fun.  And for an obsolete kit that's nearly forty years old, it stands up pretty well.

• Like 3