Opinions about current Humbrol enamels

TheRealMrEd

Hello all.

For many years (long ago) I used only Humbrol paints. Then, they became hard to get in the U.S>, so I switched to Model Master. I recently dug out some of my now 20 - 30 or more year-old Humbrol paints, and I still marvel over the super tiny pigments.

My  questions:

Does Humbrol still make enamel paints with the very tiny pigment. ( I read a few years back that their supplier in China had dried up)?

How do they cover whether air or brush painting?

Is there anything else out there with a super fine pigment, that is airbrush ready (particularly in U.S. colors, since that is what I build, mostly)?

I am mostly interested in Humbrol enamels and comparing old-time to newer, but would also appreciate opionions about other types (ie acrylics) it they were more or less problem free in a .2mm airbrush.

Thanks for any comments,

ED

i cant comment on current enamels as i stopped using them about 5 years ago due to their poor quality at that time, i can say though the humbrol acrylic will not go through an airbrush, i dont think it's about quality i just dont think they were ever designed to, they will clog a 0.2 needle/ tip .

16 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Is there anything else out there with a super fine pigment, that is airbrush ready (particularly in U.S. colors, since that is what I build, mostly)?

US aircraft brochure:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/0927/files/USN_USMC_USAAF_USAF_Colours_Chat.pdf?205554285801963019

Thread with comments on quality:

Two stockists in the USA carrying the US Aircraft range:

http://www.hbhobbies.com/ (webstore)

http://www.warshiphobbies.com/ (eBay store)

• Like 1

I still use Humbrol enamels regularly. They go through the airbrush nicely when thinned appropriately - approx 60% paint and 40% thinner. 

Brushes just fine out of the tin. 

Thanks tomprobert, appreciate the input---

Jamie, thanks for the reminder. I thought of  White Ensign, but figured they didn't have the color range. Have never used Colourcoats. Would you say they perform  the same as /equal to the White Ensign types? (Or are they now the SAME paints?)

Ed

Sovereign Hobbies took over the Colourcoats range from White Ensign, but has been improving the range by replacing examples where the WE research was in error.  I'm rather surprised to see the suggestion that they don't have the same colour range as Humbrol.  As far as my interests go, which are predominantly WW2 aircraft, ships and military vehicles, the CC range is far superior.

I have found that, for brush painting, CC paints don't cover as well as classic Humbrol, but which contemporary paint does?

• Like 1

Hi Ed,

We kept the same factory that WEM used, and new Colourcoats is made by the same people, machines and ingredient suppliers :)

As Graham says, we have been tweaking the odd colour here and there when better research has come to light. We added 8 new colours to the American aircraft range alone last year.

I don't spray the enamels but the only problem I've had brushing them in the last few years were the RLM colours, which were a bit thin. I've found the other UK produced tins I have to be fine - the new Azure Blue 157 in particular brushes beautifully.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I will give you that one John. My tin of the new Humbrol 157 brushes like a champ. Quite thick in the pot, I scooped a little out and thinned it a touch, and it painted on like ink from a fountain pen. Very, very nice. If only they were all like that...