1/144 Saturn V Options

Hi BM People

Having just read Stephen Baxter's Voyage (excellent by the way) I've been looking at some of the proposed augmented designs. I see the Revell kit readily available at a very reasonable price and the Airfix one rarer and expensive. Is the Revell kit that bad? I understand one of the stage engine areas is wrong but otherwise....?

No opinions? I've been hunting around the Interweb and getting conflicting stories. I'd like to do a real Saturn V which would be the Airfix model but is the Revell/Monogram one even close??

Due to ill-health I'm rather short of funds so can't spend as much as I'd like. I feel that applies to many of us....

The engines on the 1/144th Revell-Monogram S-II second stage are a disgrace. If you look closely at this picture you'll see that the nozzles don't extend up beyond the heat shield.

Revell_S-_II.jpg

This won't show if you're displaying the rocket as a stacked unit.

Also the Service Module has the same problem as the original Airfix release - it's much too narrow, so looks totally wrong. For the 40th anniversary Airfix retooled their Service Module and SLA so theirs is now accurate... apart from the Command Module, though that doesn't show under the LES shroud.

• Like 1

Thank You GordonD!

Now the reviews and such make sense. I've found Martin's Models site since posting which offers a second stage solution. As the Mars lander/mission module/CSM replace the third stage the too small Service module diameter I can cope with. Now I know what that problem is.

Off to order a Revell re-box now. A friend has the Airfix Skylab which, I believe has the modified upper parts as well. I'll try and scrounge the unwanted items....

As Gordon explained, when AIrfix reissued the Saturn V and the Saturn IB in 2009, they took the opportunity to fix the most glaring errors with the original versions of both these kits which were -

a ) the Lunar Module adapter section

b ) the diameter of the Service Module (caused by the incorrect LM adapter section)

c) the diameter of the Command Module (caused by the incorrect Service Module)

d) the external detail shown on the Service Module

The rest of the kits are (Saturn V and IB) are, effectively,  exactly as they were when first issued. Because of that there are further inaccuracies which have NOT been corrected. However, these really relate to various lumps and bumps on the rocket booster which can be eliminated by sanding or added to by using plastic card or rod if such things matter to you.

One point I will make is that, back in 1980, AIrfix modified some of their moulds to make them, allegedly, easier to build. This was achieved by adding extra large locating holes and lugs in place of the original smaller sized versions. Only a small number of kits were modified in this way but sadly, the Saturn V was one of them. I recently built the new release V and I found the best solultion was simply to saw off all the oversize lugs as they actually hindered assembly rather than aided.

So, to sum up, I would say that, of the two 1/144 Saturn Vs available, I'd go with the Airfix version. It's not perfect, but the fact that the upper section of the stack has been "accuruised" wins it for me.

Here's how my V and IB turned out -

DSCF5175.JPG

DSC_2676.JPG

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 4

Thank You both for helping me out with this.

Those are two lovely builds Eric very nice indeed.

As I'm interested in the Saturn VB from Baxter's Voyage book the upper bit isn't too much of an issue as I'll be replacing that with the Mars Lander and habitat module. I think I have a result in that I may be getting the modified parts from my mate's Skylab which will help.

I've ordered the cheapo Revell one but will be using Airfix for the real builds I want to do.

On 14/08/2017 at 6:11 PM, SleeperService said:

Thank You both for helping me out with this.

Those are two lovely builds Eric very nice indeed.

As I'm interested in the Saturn VB from Baxter's Voyage book the upper bit isn't too much of an issue as I'll be replacing that with the Mars Lander and habitat module. I think I have a result in that I may be getting the modified parts from my mate's Skylab which will help.

I've ordered the cheapo Revell one but will be using Airfix for the real builds I want to do.

If you like Voyage (great book) then you might find this interesting. Might give you a few ideas!

• Thanks 1

That is quite a decent animation. Thank You for the link.

I'm hoping for a large parcel to be delivered soon. I've been looking at the resin bits from Martin's Models and it seems I may have a plan. 

I enjoyed Voyage a great deal and am now ploughing through Titan. Parallels between President Maclachan and #45 are quite scary.

• 3 months later...

Can only echo what Eric said, the Airfix kit is the best way to go, whilst it needs a bit of work it's a good starting point for a decent representation of the vehicle. I picked up a Skylab version at last years SMW for a tenner which was very reasonable and have ended up scratch-building and modifying the first, second and third stage thrust structures along with the kits surface details and first stage heat shield. I'm also using Martin's baffled F1 engines covered in Bare Metal Foil, (along with New Ware's dedicated masking set). Hopefully, it'll be finished early next year and I can crack on with his SLS I have waiting patiently in the stash...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Can only echo what Eric said, the Airfix kit is the best way to go, whilst it needs a bit of work it's a good starting point for a decent representation of the vehicle. I picked up a Skylab version at last years SMW for a tenner which was very reasonable and have ended up scratch-building and modifying the first, second and third stage thrust structures along with the kits surface details and first stage heat shield. I'm also using Martin's baffled F1 engines covered in Bare Metal Foil, (along with New Ware's dedicated masking set). Hopefully, it'll be finished early next year and I can crack on with his SLS I have waiting patiently in the stash...

Thank You for your reply Good General.

I've found THESE as well which look excellent. I now have the Revell kit and the Apollo bits from a Skylab build (Cheers John) to make Aires. The Airfix kit will be my Apollo 12 build. Bare Metal Foil for the batting is a very good idea, another bit to buy.... 

• Like 1