QF-4E

Bozothenutter

Hi,

doing soem research for another phantom I fell in love with 68-464 has the most worn out look I have ever seen, she might not even be flyable!

MEa_IMG_7440.jpg

this is her in better days

ac755487.jpg

decal wise this seems an easy job, the paint will be the main challenge!

I have pic's of her in SEA and EURO 1, looking at the first pic I can see the SEA coming through, what  seems to be the EURO 1 scheme, but I 'm thrown a bit by the grey colour which is too light for EURO 1....unless it fades really really badly?

• Like 1

Planes are stored in the desert with very little protection. Cockpits, intakes, & engines get the serious protection. And seems are covered to keep dust and other environmentals out. The second set of photos are prepping for the protection at AMARC. The original faded one is after she was cleaned and prepped for re-use. So the paint fades real fast in the 110+ summers. It hit 119 about 8 weeks ago in arizona. If they are pulled and set-up to fly as a drone they get moved to Eglin or Macdill in florida again pretty hot environment. With the added factor of salt air corrosion. As for Euro 1 and Sea schemes. The greens were freshened and darkened and the tan oversprayed with Euro-1 grey so not much difference between the two.  Chances are that plane flew not to long after that, and became a glorious fireball in a test or training situation. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added

Sorry but I'm a bit thick sometimes. Are you painting her as depicted in the first photo, in her glory days, or as a well made up princess on her last act of service?

As for AMARC I can attest to the ravages of the AZ sun (I live in the Phoenix area). Having worked for a company that had 5 A-4s to get parts from, even the best attempts to protect the airframes is at best a delay. Critters find their way into everything. The paint is all but gone (it is literally sometimes just a powder over the bare metal). 

She sure was  pretty when in active service! A shame the QF's are expended after such sterling service, but at least they die a warrior's death instead of moldering away in the elements or ending up as a toaster oven. It would be neat if you could do models of  -464 in all of her schemes, or maybe a left side, right side dual scheme. A nice tribute any way you decide to go.

Mike 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the answers!

So the grey could be from a very faded EURO 1 scheme then, and the visible SEA is just from the newer paint wearing off.

I see that a different grey was added to put numbers and insignia on.

My intention is to build the jet as in it's final days, so the faded version.

Not even sure it was even flyable anymore as most of the pics I could find are from Phancon and it seems to be missing the rh engine.

But the different stages idea is very nice....SEA nose, EURO 1 middle, faded tail?

Hmmmmmm

10 hours ago, ozothenutter said:

Thanks for all the answers!

So the grey could be from a very faded EURO 1 scheme then, and the visible SEA is just from the newer paint wearing off.

The badly faded paintwork on 68-0464 is what's left of the 'Euro 1' camo it was delivered in to AMARG from the NJANG in Nov 1990...

-Dazza

this would be usefull for making that finish:

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/products/airbrushes-airbrush-parts-and-accessories/Airbrushes/etching-and-striping-tools/etching/aec-k-1

I was thinking along the lines of a hard paint for the SEA, and a softer paint on top and sanding/rubbing the top layer off.

any other out of the box idea's?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bozothenuter!

This is one very cool QF4 scheme. I can see why you really like it. This will look spectacular as a finished model if you are able to pull off the challenging weathering. I may be able to help a little on the details of this aircraft. I also photographed 464 on likely the same day that the original photographer did for your original photo post. The first photo looks like it was taken last September when Holloman was hosting a visit/tour for the F-4 Phantom Society. Here are a few other photos that I shot of 68-464 during that week.

VhffABD.jpg?1

U7bTW1W.jpg?1

XiatzCu.jpg?1

WcCxeFZ.jpg?1

As there were a few really cool QF-4s on the ramp that week, I only shot a few photos of 464. Unfortunately, as the sun was at a bad angle for 464, the one above is the only one I shot of the other side of 464. I do have a few other shots of 464 from my visit, so if you can message me, I can send you a few more and not tie up this message thread!

Have fun modeling (especially Phantoms!)

Mike 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhantomMJI said:

Hi Bozothenuter!

This is one very cool QF4 scheme. I can see why you really like it. This will look spectacular as a finished model if you are able to pull off the challenging weathering. I may be able to help a little on the details of this aircraft. I also photographed 464 on likely the same day that the original photographer did for your original photo post. The first photo looks like it was taken last September when Holloman was hosting a visit/tour for the F-4 Phantom Society. Here are a few other photos that I shot of 68-464 during that week.

As there were a few really cool QF-4s on the ramp that week, I only shot a few photos of 464. Unfortunately, as the sun was at a bad angle for 464, the one above is the only one I shot of the other side of 464. I do have a few other shots of 464 from my visit, so if you can message me, I can send you a few more and not tie up this message thread!

Have fun modeling (especially Phantoms!)

Mike 

Hi Mike, thanks for your kind offer, you were really lucky to be able to visit Holloman!

I'm still mulling over how to do this finish, do you have any reccolectiion of what the underside looked like?

I'll pm you with my details.

regards,

Sudesh

47 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

I'm still mulling over how to do this finish, do you have any reccolectiion of what the underside looked like?

For what it's worth I would expect the underside to be in reasonably good condition and that last shot seems to support this idea - I can see a shiny red(?) underside to the outer wing panel - reflections visible.

Contrast that with the state of the fin and you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps in some way - looking forward to seeing your model sometime!

ATB
Rick