How do I add images?

Hi

Apologies if I seem to be a bit dim, but I can't work out how to add images. I'd like to add one to my profile, and also  include some within my  posts. When I click the "Insert other media" button the only options I seem to see are: (a) insert existing attachment or (b) insert image from url.

I've tried linking to my Dropbox account by copying and pasting its url but that doesn't work, neither does drag and drop. Do I need to open an external account such as Flickr or Pintrest?

I added the bus to my profile from my hard drive, it isn't hosted anywhere

The avatar symbol allows drag and drop it seems once you have the item opened

You do need to have hosting for images in other parts of the forum

I use postimage.org it is simplicity to use, or I wouldn't be able to use it

I'm sure Mike will be along to sort it out for you 

Edited by perdu

I've just tried to add an image for my avatar but it doesn't work. When I try to upload, either by drag and drop or direct upload, I see a message that tells me:

"1 file was larger than the maximum file size of 49,9712kband was skipped"

The image I'm trying to upload straight from my desktop is only 188kb. Something's not right.

If you have MS Paint on your device it may be worth loading the file into it then resizing it

What the file sizes say might be different to any formatting baggage held with them

Keep trying, its only a game

😕

Thanks Perdu.

I have Photoshop on another machine so I'll open it in that, check the file size and try again. At the mo I've got a 72dpi .png file. Maybe if I save it as a .jpg it'll work.

I'll have a fiddle with it later. There are more pressing things to do right now...like sanding the wing to fuselage joint of my Airfix Vulcan (again)!  :wtf:

• Like 1

On 06/08/2017 at 09:12, perdu said:

I added the bus to my profile from my hard drive, it isn't hosted anywhere

The avatar pics are the sole exception to the upload rule.

On 06/08/2017 at 09:32, Timmas said:

The image I'm trying to upload straight from my desktop is only 188kb. Something's not right.

I think you need to check that you're comparing kb to kb, as it wouldn't say that without due cause... hopefully.  If you can't get it licked into shape, drop me a PM and I'll give you my email address to send the file to for testing :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Timmas said:

I've just tried to add an image for my avatar but it doesn't work. When I try to upload, either by drag and drop or direct upload, I see a message that tells me:

Timmas, what I did re Avatar was find the pic I wanted then sent it as an email to myself. On iPad iPhone it asks to send it in various sizes. I picked send smallest size and then saved that picture to my photo stream. When adding avatar I used the uploader and picked this photo and it worked. For thread pictures I use Flickr which is free and easy, just a copy and paste URL, done 

• Like 1