Revell U Wing WIP - Special effect model

Hi there! 

For the past couple of days i've been working on the Revell U Wing kit, while lurking on this very forum for inspiration. 

This project had a lot of firsts for me, like using an airbrush, and weathering on this scale. 

I will be using the model for classic special effects in my Star Wars fan film (Trailer and Instagram, for those who are interested :)) and I was hoping to get some Critique and Comments on the paint job.

I'm not very happy with the way the chipping on the white came out, and I'm a little insecure about the weathering over all. so any tips would be super helpful!  

Q9m3z8k.jpg?1

KJlMKNn.jpg?1

Some closer pictures: 

XfS4St8.jpg

yv9TAlh.jpg

4aeH6lN.jpg

RvS7VSg.jpg

This is where I'm at right now, and I would love to hear what you think!

Any tips to make the chipping on the white look less like dirt and more like actual chipping are very welcome! 

• Like 5

I echo the above comment for a first time use of a airbrush you have made a good go of it,weathering is a very subtle thing,and with the chipping could try the hair/spray method,and there is a method were you put salt on the model before spraying and brush it off after,I am no expert and there is a lot better on this site than me,but you could google it and,I have found this helps,with things I am not sure of,but if I could say its all down to you,if your happy that's all that counts,don't get to bogged down with to much tech talk.Enjoy your hobby.Cheers.

• Like 1

One method I've used in the past.

Draw in the panel lines with a pencil.

Use a wet finger to 'drag' a little pencil

lead to the rear of the model.

If you do too much or don't like it then

it will wash off.

I think you've a great job!

If you're using this as a miniature for film use then I think you're definitely on the right track. 

Have a look at some of the techniques used by ILM. There models weren't pristine and perfect models made for a showroom. They were often quite quickly slapped together with pretty rough weathering. A couple of the reasons for this were the shading, weathering, etc needed to stand out on film and because you only saw then for a few seconds at a time (while in motion) they still looked amazing.

If you take a look at the model in the pic below, you'll see that the weathering is quite similar to what you've already done. 

kg_expo_snowspeeder_orange-010.jpg

Looks very good :)
However, what scale is your model.... i.e.: how big is it?  Is it around 72nd scale?  Great for more distant shots.... but you may need more like 48th or 32nd scale for doing close-ups?

And ultimately of course, it depends on how you light the model for the given shot.... do some test filming/shots, and see how they look...  

• 3 weeks later...