1/72 Heller Focke Wulf Fw 56 Stösser, Republican Air Force, Carmoli, 1937

The Focke Wulf Fw 56 Stösser (Falcon) was used by the Republican air force as a trainer in the fighter school at Carmoli. Around six Fw-56’s were used here towards the end of 1937, being from a German manufacturer it is unusual to see them in Republican service. The planes were bought from the conflict in Ethiopia where the Stösser’s had been used against Italian troops during their invasion of Ethiopia. These were then transferred to the fighter school.

These planes were painted with a disruptive camouflage pattern in a very rough manner, the republican markings were then added over this. The base colour could have been RLM 63 or 62 depending on the factory finish.

Kit: Heller 1/72 Focke Wulf Fw 56 Stösser
Built: OOB with Decals from spares
Paints Used: MRP RLM 62, Russian AFV Tan, Tamiya XF 58, XF 23, XF 7, XF 3
Weathered: with MIG pigments

img_6159.jpg?w=748img_6165.jpg?w=748img_6163.jpg?w=748img_6161.jpg?w=748img_6173.jpg?w=748img_6177.jpg?w=748img_6179.jpg?w=748img_6181.jpg?w=748

img_6169img_6167img_6171.jpg?w=748

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Another excellent build and finish of this rarely seen completed model, my congratulations to you Sir. :goodjob:

I expect this model was quite tricky to build due to the strut arrangements?

I am really enjoying your builds on SCW subjects, more please !

• Like 1

Vary interesting model and subject. I never heard before that they came via Abissynia to Spain. This is something new for me, so every day one can learn... Are there any photos from Ethipia time of them? It could be interesting to understand the way how they were painted. There was some discussion how exactly those C-1 was painted. I have one photo on which mottles are seen. In 1/48 model of it by Historic Plastic Models they suggest italian style mottles (brown and green over ochra).  I was not sure - so I switched to Bulgarian one doing mine...

Nice that you done her :).

Regards

J-W

P.S.

Short googling and whole Abissynia story about FW 56 is here:

http://www.artiklar.z-bok.se/Fw56.html  ;)

Edited by JWM
added PS
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JWM said:

Vary interesting model and subject. I never heard before that they came via Abissynia to Spain. This is something new for me, so every day one can learn... Are there any photos from Ethipia time of them? It could be interesting to understand the way how they were painted. There was some discussion how exactly those C-1 was painted. I have one photo on which mottles are seen. In 1/48 model of it by Historic Plastic Models they suggest italian style mottles (brown and green over ochra).  I was not sure - so I switched to Bulgarian one doing mine...

Nice that you done her :).

Regards

J-W

P.S.

Short googling and whole Abissynia story about FW 56 is here:

http://www.artiklar.z-bok.se/Fw56.html  ;)

Well it was news to me also, I did stumble across a great thread on ww2aircraft.net where a chap has gone through most the aircraft from the conflict and found amazing pictures of them! I used his info for the source and he seems to know his stuff:

There are two pictures of Spanish planes on ww2aircraft.net, links below (an account is needed to view the pictures):

FW-56

FW-56 Camouflage

the camouflage on the pictured vehicle is nothing like mine as I found afterwards and artistic license has been used ;)

Edited by Epimedium
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin1967 said:

Another excellent build and finish of this rarely seen completed model, my congratulations to you Sir. :goodjob:

I expect this model was quite tricky to build due to the strut arrangements?

I am really enjoying your builds on SCW subjects, more please !

Thanks!

Well yes and no, I've found the best way is to man handle them and fix it with super glue. Then I bend the struts so that it all lines up with the landing gear, it's a bit heavy handed but as long as it looks right I'm not too worried. 

I do do sometimes tack them with super glue then use tamiya extra thin for a stronger bond.

this one marks the end of the recent flurry for now :( but there are lots of builds on my site from the SIG members so do please have a look if it's of interest 👍

• Like 1

Good to see a 1/72 Stösser built :).

It would be good to see a new tool of it, you've done a grand job of the venerable Heller kit :thumbsup2: 

There are some other interesting stories about these in Spain. A mechanic got himself accused of sabotage due to quite an imaginative and well intentioned engine change. Could have been imprisoned, maybe worse, given reports of the temperament of the Soviet superior involved. It must have been an unimaginably tough job trying to maintain these, in that melting pot of political fervour and mistrust.

Keep them coming ;)

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Epimedium said:

Thanks!

Well yes and no, I've found the best way is to man handle them and fix it with super glue. Then I bend the struts so that it all lines up with the landing gear, it's a bit heavy handed but as long as it looks right I'm not too worried. 

I do do sometimes tack them with super glue then use tamiya extra thin for a stronger bond.

this one marks the end of the recent flurry for now :( but there are lots of builds on my site from the SIG members so do please have a look if it's of interest 👍

Thank you very much for your advice on how to build the struts on this model, much appreciated.  And I will being looking at the link too, regards Colin.

• Like 1