1/144 Airfix Lufthansa Airbus A300B2

Here is my Airfix A300 with a Bra.Z nose and home made decals. Another of my 'planes I remember from Heathrow around 1980'.

The Airfix kit is fairly accurate and could be built OOB and still look very good, however I've used the replacement nose available from Bra.Z as I feel it really captures the Airbus widebody family nose shape 100%.

The only other changes I've made are to move the tail bumper to a more correct position and scratch build the intakes on the underside of the fuselage between the wings.

The cheatlines have been painted as has the tail with the logo printed on white decal paper and doubled up. Titles, names, coroguard etc were all home printed too except for the small logos on the engines and below the flightdeck windows which I found in my spares box. Stabiliser rubbing plates are from the 26 A300 detail decal sheet as are the door handles/details.

Passenger and flightdeck windows are from Werner at Authentic Airliners.

I've depicted D-AIAA Garmisch Partenkirchen as a fairly new aircraft and so have only lightly weathered the wings.

Overall I'm pleased with this model as it was my first attempt at designing and printing my own decals and it seems to have turned out alright.

35979266510_ce4d5b4d11_o.jpg

36376013745_92a53dc65d_o.jpg

36376013065_64beb65a51_o.jpg

36376012655_7ec5555e24_o.jpg

35979267060_894d9eeba0_o.jpg

35979258910_c6bef825d7_o.jpg

36376011855_e75a939b58_o.jpg

Hope you like it and thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Wunderbar Ian !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Classic kit, classic markings and fantastic finish - couldn't ask for anything else.

(Looking forward to seeing what's going to be rolling out of your printer next)

mike

Really nice, lovely crisp detail and as you say the nose does look just right.great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Cheers Michael.

Two masterpieces in one day Ian - how do you do it?? 

That's another really beautiful model, in fact I think I prefer it to the SVC10  - I love the classic Lufthansa cheatline scheme which always takes me right back to spotting at Riem circa 1986.  The BraZ nose looks really good.  I've been meaning to try one on an A310 where the improvement would probably be even more striking.

Thanks again and please keep them coming.

Dave G

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Eric, you know the right people. I'd love someone to give me an Airfix A300! I saw one at Telford for £10 but stupidly didn't get it, of course, when I changed my mind and went back it was gone:doh:

John, I find designing the decals almost as enjoyable as making the models. I use Inkscape which is a free vector graphics program and I've recently bought a laser printer which makes things a whole lot easier. My previous attempts have been with an inkjet which was a disaster. I had quite a few subjects on one sheet so there will be some more of my homemade decals appearing soon! Nothing major it just helps with logos, titling and small details.

Dave, they've been waiting in the wings for a while almost finished so when we had a dry sunny day I had to quickly add the finishing touches and get them photographed. This wasn't as easy as it first seemed because it was fairly blustery and the nosewheel kept lifting off the ground, either that or the whole model would swing round into the wind! You don't get that with a resin kit that's for sure. I can definitely recommend the Bra.Z nose and I think I'd agree with you, it would massively improve the Revell kit. Been thinking about an A310 myself too.

Next off the bench is quite significantly smaller shall we say.

Stay tuned as it's nearly done!

Cheers,

Ian

I'll be upgrading my computer system in the next few weeks so will look at the Inkspace system you mentioned.  I'd love to have a go at designing and printing my own decals. I recently built the Airfix Comet 4B which comes with a set of airport steps. I painted the steps in the 1968-74 BEA colours but didn't have tiny red BEA markings that would normally appear on the side of the steps.

Now that I'm back into airliner kits I am finding your builds and those of Viking inspirational.

Edited by Eric Mc

Thank you Eric, I'm glad you find them inspirational! We need lots more airliners to counteract all the WW2 stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with anything WW2 or military it's just that there are too many!

The graphics program is Inkscape not Inkspace for when you get your computer sorted.

Cheers,

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi Ridgeline,

Thanks for your compliment glad you like this one too!

I have posted quite a few recently because I tend to work on lots at the same time and sometimes they all get finished fairly close together. I don't build that quickly. At the moment I have 8 on the go!

Cheers,

Ian

That is nice Ian, do you have pictures of the underside showing the intakes?

I did the same with a FedEx build a while ago. I have another in the stash for an Australian Airlines build, will have to do all the mods all over again.

• 2 weeks later...