Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

On 3/24/2018 at 15:14, harveyb258 said:

I'll be starting to create the engine

And they're my favourite bits as well.

(unless something has working suspension, that's rather cool too)

Definitely staying tuned to this thread. :)

• Like 1

• harveyb258 changed the title to Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Good afternoon to you all. Time for an update, methinks!!

We continue with the front end... the leaf-spring mounts, to be exact.

Using 2, 3 and 4mm tube, soldered together, I shaped each side with files. Then, using a hacksaw, I cut 1mm slots in the ends and cleaned up with a file. The ends were then capped off with 0,5mm brass and a tag underneath. Once soldered to their flanges, I used low-temp (70deg) solder to build up the bulges above.

41030013992_18a2205495_h.jpg

Next came the stays...quite a few pieces and very fiddly to get assembled, but necessary for a strong construction.

41072467981_e579d45016_h.jpg

After paint and treatments...assembly.

41030018642_18aee357a6_h.jpg

41072471661_fc0fb021fd_h.jpg

40178903295_cbfd569d65_h.jpg

26201248877_bff1506488_h.jpg

41072490351_f87956d216_h.jpg

Well, that's all for now, folks!! I hope you enjoy!!

Thank you for watching.:bye:

Cheers, H

Next up I'll make a start on the engine block and oil-pan.

• Like 8

I agree with Hannes, you're soothing my mind by showing this beautiful chassis... this looks so much as we could expect it to have been in 1927!

This is the first time in 91 years... [oh wait let's bring in Rose:]

It's been 91 years and we can still smell the fresh paint! The engine had never been used. The tank had never been poured petrol into. The Fiat was called... the race car of dreams. And it was. It really was.

Thanks Harvey for this peculiar flashback. 

• Like 3

As Nikkita already pointed out , your tubes construction looks very sexy ! As a great fan of " The Tubes " an old text came into my mind and that´s my contribution to our " dirty " conversation . It goes like this :

The smell of burning leather as we hold each other tight 

As our rivets rub together flashing sparks into the night

At this moment of surrender darling

if you really care 

Don´t touch me there !:D

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Haha 5

Good afternoon all.

Well, as promised, we progress to the engine block. Nothing remarkable in its construction... I simply cut all pieces to size (0,5mm nickel-silver sheet), then using 2 clamps, I secured them to a block of wood and soldered the whole thing in 1 operation with the torch. Upon trying to remove the bit of wood, I found it impossible, so I just left it in.:D

Then, after a bit of a clean-up...

27379078598_3ebe637d16_h.jpg

26380347697_da9d4a3e30_h.jpg

26380346937_2c15d2ad3e_h.jpg

27379079528_44152e86f0_h.jpg

27379079028_2807ff936c_h.jpg

There's a couple of places that will need a touch more solder, but nothing major. I'll get those with low-temp solder and an iron.

Well, that's all for now, folks. More soon!!!

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 6

I like these descriptions about soldering. Please elaborate if you can find the time for that, I'm more than willing to learn. 

By the way it seems you're not kidding re. the full scratch-statement. The engine is the only thing on the Protar / Italcopy Italeri kit that is actually correct in dimensions... so you could have chosen to use it. I'm delighted to see that you'll scratch it, because although correct the Protar / Itooeasy Italeri parts are rather ugly badly moulded lowest possible quality challenging. 

• Like 2

If we look closely to the original engine drawings we can see a lot of minor and major differences compared with the kit´s version  . This means : Although realistic drawings did  exist  the Protar designers were unable to represent the engine as it actually looked . The bases where the cylinders are mounted are way too thick , The water tubes construction above the cylinder heads are too thin and wrong shaped as well and so on .The steering column and it´s case  are not where they belong and the phantasy support for magnetos and column is just a joke .

That´s why I think , it´s a good idea to build this important engine from scratch , dear Harvey ! Because I work in a somewhat bigger scale I will have to do similar , I suppose .

But watch out , the space between the left engine´s side and the left bonnet with it´s cam fairing is very tight  and we all want to see a closed bonnet !

That´s one of the reasons why I will build the basic shaped bodywork parts first . All the other parts have to fit under this " hood "

We want to keep the compromises as small as possible of course but I think it´s almost impossible to build this racer without accepting some small compromises .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 1

Hi guys.

I've literally been tearing my hair out over the decision of whether to use the kit engine, or not. I didn't want to use the entire engine.....that would be cheating. The plan was to use just the engine-block and clutch-housing, make some modifications and then cast in white-metal ( I love the dull/flat finish of it when freshly cast). The only potential problem is the trial and error of perfecting your mould and your casting technique. This could add days or weeks to your build time ( don't ask me how I know :wall:). So, with that in mind, Mr. Scratchy won the toss!!!!!:yahoo:

18 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

I like these descriptions about soldering. Please elaborate if you can find the time for that, I'm more than willing to learn. 

Gladly my friend. I will try to explain my method with some drawings and pics of the next step in my next update (this weekend).

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After finalizing this 1/12th model, would you consider taking on the challenge of doing a 1/8th of this Fiat? It was never done realistically till this day. 

As far as I know, this was the only attempt thus far: 

19267d1321939568-article-re-1927-fiat-80

19265d1321939508-article-re-1927-fiat-80 

(see here)

With all the respect I can gather, I must admit this model looks more like an Alfa Romeo P3. 

Fiat 806

37062248635_e7eae862c4_o.jpg

Alfa Romeo P3:

32AlfaRomeo_P3.jpg 

So I'm wondering if you will attempt to make an 1/8th scale version of quality the world has never seen. I'm sure I'm not the only follower with this question on my mind :D

• Like 2