Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Thank you all so much, chaps.

Your kind comments are both inspirational and motivational.:thumbsup:

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, Jo NZ said:

However... as I found after I'd made aluminium friction plates for my Pocher Monza, the plates are actually wood

DITTO!!!  D'oh!:doh: If I can get hold of some maple veneer of the correct thickness, I will replace them, If not, I won't bother.

Cheers, H

• Like 3

Hi guys.

A bit more of an update for you.

After painting and assembling the Hartfords (including adjuster indicators), I attached both the front ones. A very snug fit, indeed.

For the rear pair, I've reduced them back to 3 blades. Due to the curvature of the chassis legs, there is no physical space for any more.

I haven't fitted them yet, as the chassis pick-up points need (slightly) shortening.

45905158002_2d9475b848_h.jpg

45230336034_e4c6c9db3b_h.jpg

45905159102_c2f36fc9f2_h.jpg

And now, a bit of a set-back.....

Mr. Clumsy strikes again!!!:oops:

While moving it back to the jig, I managed to knock the rear axle. The result being that both damper pick-up points failed at the solder joints. 

While I may be a bit peeved at myself, I gives me the opportunity to address something I have somehow missed until just recently.....blank plates, directly opposite, on the front face.

Sadly though, it means that I'm going to have to strip the rear-end and remove the axle to do the necessary work. At least, everythings bolted and not glued, so it's no great hardship.:D

45905159552_e800c196eb_h.jpg

As always, thanks for watching!

Cheers, H

ps. apologies for the poor pics/light

Edited by harveyb258
Forgot summat!
  • Like 8

Thank you once again, dear Hannes.

After the intensity of the last few weeks of fiddly bits, I fancied a change of scene, so I made a start on the radiator assembly.

Firstly, I formed the buck from an offcut of 2"x2" with file/sandpaper...oh, and a saw.

45265731844_e246637a03_h.jpg

45265732684_90ec2f2155_h.jpg

The cowling, being a relatively simple shape, didn't take long to gently tap, tap, tap the 0,3mm ali into shape with a ball-pien hammer. After that, the surface was smoothed and flattened using a steel ruler. The technique is called "slapping". Holding onto the ruler, with my forefinger on the back face for control, I can gently slap and rub out any unevenness. I jointed with an internal ali plate at the bottom, then stiffened up the back edge.

44174035330_3bc52ca554_h.jpg

45265747044_f8b86a1116_h.jpg

Then a test fit...

45265747304_72fc89bdc6_h.jpg

45990171381_e32570e13d_h.jpg

45990172371_a17047afeb_h.jpg

45265749624_4e5b2e695e_h.jpg

That's all for now, folks!

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 8

A very convincing radiator case ! Do you remember these good old days when I told the guys in the gangshow thread that the width of the model ´s case was way too small ? Almost noone believed what I said . Now we are the first ones on this planet who enabled a realistic reconstruction of this great racer .

Maybe some modellers will use our research for printing out all  parts but I prefer the classic craftmanship as you show us in an impressive way .

I will realise my  version with my own methods  but I have to care about my future first and this means the realisation of my emigration .

It´s a great pleasure to watch your great work .

All the best , dear Harvey !   Hannes

• Like 3

Evening all,

First thing is to add my thanks for the modelling master-class shown here.

Second is a really big apology. Below is a picture I could have posted some time ago (i.e. before you did work on it). Having mojo issues and annoyance with the faff of posting pictures I have not go round to it.

https://flic.kr/p/Pk41Jg

The attached link appears to not be displaying properly tonight which kind of makes my point.

Anyhoo, from the photos the rear end of the radiator fairing overlaps the chassis frame. I.e. it does not sit inside the from over its whole length. It was quite difficult to work out what the lines actually were. I think in plan it is a straight taper from the rear to the front. i.e at no point is it parallel to the chassis.

Comments welcome as always.

Sorry for the delay in posting.

I am slowly getting round to sorting out the louvres which I will post when I am happy.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Many thanks chaps.

13 minutes ago, NickD said:

Second is a really big apology.

14 minutes ago, NickD said:

it does not sit inside the from over its whole length.

No apology needed Nick, I realised ages ago  that the cowl was tapered, enabling it to sit on the chassis, so no problem mate.

Anyway, now for today's progress....

44187627000_e74f175f96_h.jpg

31064501257_a47a5ad182_h.jpg

31064501817_769e8f5f33_h.jpg

31064502427_ba6de95229_h.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 4

Harv,

Thanks for being so understanding.

How do you plan to mount the grill. As far as I can make out, the grill was bounded by a wire that was trapped between the cowl and the metal frame you show above. The metal frame is held on by the screws. Is that your interpretation (and Hannes'?)

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

That´s a plausible solution imho . The grill seems to be a bit  more curved in reality  . I cannot say if there was an internal grill frame or maybe just  distance parts inside the retaining plate . As it seems this plate was not plated by chromium , just  polished metal . ( If we look at magnified drawing 2 )   Hannes

• Like 2

Hannes,

My reasoning is as follows.

Having spend a lot of time trying to sort out the grill, I came to the above conclusions. In the view of the car from the right front, there is a clear view of where the grill slots into the cowl. It appears to be a round wire that connects all the elements of the grill. To my mind that made sense because removal of the grill was easy (they managed to paint numbers on the radiator without getting paint on the grill. A wire "frame" round the outside would make the grill managable. Placing this wire frame in a channel in the cowl looked like a foolproof way of getting the position right. A thin retaining plate then makes sense as a means to hold the wire "frame" tightly to the cowl. The outer edge appears to have been bevelled. The whole lot is held on by screws we noted previously.

Regards

Nick

• Like 2

On 22/11/2018 at 01:08, harveyb258 said:

Thanks for watching.

It is us who thank you, dear Harvey! like every modeller following your incredible build, I am each time more impressed by your unique talent. Things seem so simple when you show them, but we are well placed to know that in fact, they are not at all!

Keep up the great work, my friend!

Olivier

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/11/2018 at 02:27, Hannes said:

Do you remember these good old days when I told the guys in the gangshow thread that the width of the model ´s case was way too small ? Almost noone believed what I said . Now we are the first ones on this planet who enabled a realistic reconstruction of this great racer .

For my part, dear Hannes, I will never forget this incredible saga and I still don't understand today how you could, before everyone, and before getting new documents that would confirm your feelings, see that this radiator grille was much more square than what the kit and most of our period photos suggested. A bit like the first man who suggested that the earth was round while it seemed to everyone that it was flat!!

Many greetings my friend, I hope you will be able soon to go on with your fantastic 806 build.

Olivier

• Like 1

I see something a little bit different to your interpretation, Nick. 

The outer plate and the grille look to be one unit that sits in the cowl opening...…..just like any fan or extractor device in your home. It also looks, to my eagle-eye that the stone-guard mesh appears to be a part  of the grille assembly, not the radiator. 

It would probably  take me longer to draw what I'm trying to explain, than actually fabricate it. All will be revealed once I have drilled 208 holes. That's 4 strips with 52 holes that border the inner edge laterally. I foresee going through quite a few drill bits, The middle 2 uprights will be 0,5 nickel, inner frame 0,3 steel. ( it's actually tin-plate steel, but once it's been sanded and filed, it's just plain steel plate).

If my remaining drill-bits last out, I should have another update within a couple of days.

More soon lads.

38 minutes ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

. A bit like the first man who suggested that the earth was round while it seemed to everyone that it was flat!!

I thought it was flat....! :rofl2::D

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, harveyb258 said:

The outer plate and the grille look to be one unit that sits in the cowl opening..

grill

I looked again with the above thoughts. Perhaps I can't quite see the wire as clearly as a I thought! To my eyes it would still make sense for there to be an outer wire. The bit I missed is that it ran to the edge of the outerplate which was rolled round like the wire edges elsewhere on the car. Or have I still missed something important?

Nick

• Like 1

I see what you're saying, Nick, but I will try and explain by a drawing tomorrow . 

The front attachment plate and the grille look to be  a" complete unit "with the stone-guard mesh attached to it's rear face and not the radiator..

Goodnight chaps

Cheers, H

• Like 1