Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Thank you gents. As always, much appreciated.

22 hours ago, Codger said:

The excitement of seeing this in near-final condition causes that wonderful impatience at this stage.

Absolutely, Chas. If only I had five pairs of hands, eh??? I also feel a huge sense of relief and satisfaction to have got to this stage, because my 3 biggest challenges ( bodywork, wheels and grill) are now behind me, putting me firmly back in the comfort zone again.

What next???

Resin to make the tyres should be here tomorrow, so I'll make a start on painting the wheels today.

Then, it'll be time to get re-acquainted with the engine....I haven't looked at it for ages, it's been hibernating in a dark and safe place.

Cheers, H

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, harveyb258 said:

I also feel a huge sense of relief and satisfaction to have got to this stage, because my 3 biggest challenges ( bodywork, wheels and grill) are now behind me, putting me firmly back in the comfort zone again.

This is absolute truth when doing a project the complexity of yours. Yours is compounded because it all came from scratch - none of it existed before. HUGE satisfaction sets in and is why we do this....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello gentlemen.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:11 AM, NickD said:

Sorry to be so slow to respond

Likewise Nick, I get easily distracted, lol.

Okay then, progress on the tyre master has been frustratingly slow due to several blunders and do-overs. But, these things happen ( I never said it was easy...) from time to time and all part of the learning process.

My original attempt, frankly, wasn't very good at all...C-

50210070887_7cf9bfac76_k.jpg

Too narrow and undersize with atrocious carving, so I slathered it in milliput and set it aside to cure overnight.

While this was curing, I set about making a form tool for the sidewalls. An old block plane blade found at the bottom of my tool bag was soon liberated.

I roughed it out on the bench grinder, then honed with a fine stone on the dremel. The small v-cuts made with very fine diamond file.

50210071347_be270a648c_k.jpg

Set up in the lathe and away we go...

50209795091_233ad1bc14_k.jpg

It quickly became apparent that the silver milliput wasn't adhering very well with the black, and no matter how carefully I fed the cutter, little bits kept chipping off. A thick coat of primer and blackboard paint confirmed I was fighting a losing battle trying to get an acceptable finish. Funnily enough though, it doesn't look too bad in this photo...

50209794846_a4d6b124a4_k.jpg

I had decided to try creating the tread relief with masking tape so used this as a sacrificial test mule. To cut a long story short, after several attempts and a bit of primer, I arrived at this...

50210069517_9aeff4ebcf_k.jpg

Obviously, the tread pattern is still too large and uneven. I have to admit, though, I've been struggling with my eyesight lately, so a visit to my opticians confirmed I needed new glasses.  Whilst waiting for my prescription I cast a new blank from resin.

A few days later, armed and ready with refreshed eyesight  and a crisp new blank, it was back to the little Adept. The resin was an absolute joy to machine.....

50210070637_e0c6f68195_k.jpg

50209270168_5489e5d938_k.jpg

50210070297_20b518088e_k.jpg

50210070002_b02fd3cf14_k.jpg

50209269353_9f7cd1577c_k.jpg

I'm rather pleased with that. 

My next step is to make the silicone mould and start casting. Wish me luck.

Thanks for watching, chaps. More soon...

Cheers, H

Edited by harveyb258
error
  • Like 11

47 minutes ago, Codger said:

Well worth the wait and begging to be on the wire wheels....

Thank you Chas. Not long to wait now. With a bit of luck she should be on her wheels by the weekend.....fingers' crossed.

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hello gents.

I return once more from the far side of the Twiglet Zone:D with a bit of a catch-up for you all. The following update has been ready for a few weeks, I just haven't had the time to compose and upload pics until now, tbh, so please excuse my lateness.

Alright then, moulding and casting.....

On 8/11/2020 at 10:51 PM, Hannes said:

Plaster is a good material for supporting the silicone moulds.

Indeed it is, Hannes, although I've never used it tbh.

My preferred method is a baseboard and lego.....

I wanted my parting line on the edge-ring of the tread pattern, to allow for minimal cleanup, so I pressed the master into a disc of plasticine on my board (an old table mat) and then cut off the excess.

50426296233_6359296ed4_k.jpg

A box was then lego'd and secured to the base with a hot glue gun, leaving it leakproof. A cone of plasticine was used to form the pour-hole.

50427169182_4072845ffa_k.jpg

50427169682_d1d672709d_k.jpg

50426993641_16cdefaf49_k.jpg

Reminds me of the pink custard we used to get at school....

50426298253_9cb1c12ddc_k.jpg

After turning it over, removing the base and plasticine, I reset the box and gave everything a couple of coats of mould release spray (we don't want any silly mistakes now, do we???) I then poured the 2nd part. I won't bore you with another custard pic...:lol:

Both parts of the mould looked good, so the proof of the pudding would be in the casting, I suppose....

50426305463_ff30abc036_k.jpg

50427001406_4556cf3734_k.jpg

....and some time later...

50426995376_c2c207efa5_k.jpg

Two tyres were then mounted in the lathe to open the bore to fit the front rims.

Then followed a huge sense of pride, satifaction and relief.

TA DAA...

50426996441_4a703112d3_k.jpg

50427173487_2db205611f_k.jpg

50426303208_6d4acb3a8d_k.jpg

50427175902_1ff072453e_k.jpg

50427001911_0b0f7602a9_k.jpg

50426306268_353ebb3e5d_h.jpg

I hope you enjoy, chaps. 

Thanks for watching.

Time to get reacquainted with the oily bits.........more soon.

Cheers, H

ps. Forgot to add these...

50427362221_dc9e801395_k.jpg

50427539527_06253439ed_k.jpg

50427539932_3de4d4aad4_k.jpg

Edited by harveyb258
Forgot summat!
  • Like 15

You made it look real easy there Harvey! But wow those tyres, and with them the wheels, do look amazing. Love the black & white shots!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back Mr H and you remind us that you are in that select group of scratch, large scale builders. Masterful builders that is. Techniques you devise are both simple and hugely effective. A clinic of scratchbuilding.

Every element you've created so far perfectly builds the real car. And there's almost no 'trial and error' work - my personal modus operandi  :wall:...

And Jeroen is perfectly right, the overexposed, grainy B & W photos were taken in the 1930's - period.

Bring on more work as soon as you can...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Harvey, my dear friend, I am so glad you are back again and, as Jeroen, Poul and Codger, I love the BW pics and the tyres. Great job as always, and a new step forward. 

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: I got today an e-mail of Emmanuel, a french modeler who is building an amazing 1/6 version of the Fiat 806, with P. Bordino on board, here is the link:

https://www.emarin-regard.fr/

He was inspired by our "research and scratch" thread, and it is imho a reason for satisfaction for me and all the dream team who took part to this saga... 

Humble, he wanted me to precise that he did not pretend to be as faithful as we are... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Harvey, my dear friend, I am so glad you are back again and, as Jeroen, Poul and Codger, I love the BW pics and the tyres. Great job as always, and a new step forward. 

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: I got today an e-mail of Emmanuel, a french modeler who is building an amazing 1/6 version of the Fiat 806, with P. Bordino on board, here is the link:

https://www.emarin-regard.fr/

He was inspired by our "research and scratch" thread, and it is imho a reason for satisfaction for me and all the dream team who took part to this saga... 

Humble, he wanted me to precise that he did not pretend to be as faithful as we are... 

Wow, that is an absolutely gorgeous build.

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words and your patience, chaps. 

Much appreciated, as always.

20 hours ago, JeroenS said:

You made it look real easy there Harvey!

If only it was, my friend.... like a swan on water, all calm and serene on the surface and frantic paddling beneath.......:lol:

19 hours ago, Codger said:

And there's almost no 'trial and error' work - my personal modus operandi  :wall:.

Ohh, there will soon be plenty of that going on, now that we're back to the grubby, oily bits... believe me.

19 hours ago, Codger said:

Bring on more work as soon as you can...

I'll try not to keep you waiting, Chas....

18 hours ago, Pouln said:

Thanks for the explanation of the process

I've never been very good at explaining things, tbh. I would love to be able to compose the eloquent and detailed WIPs that I see on here....

16 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

and a new step forward. 

A major step forward, I think. The addition (finally) of the tyres define the whole appearance of the beast.....she actually looks like a car now. I'm well chuffed.

I'm glad you all like the "period" pics. I was just playing around with photo-editor and it felt like I was stepping back in time and revealing the ghost......this one, in particular, sent shivers down my spine as it scrolled down the page...............................

50426306268_353ebb3e5d_h.jpg

Brrrrrrrrr..... is it cold in here?????

• Like 8

The drivers of these cars must have been daredevils. It is not, what you would call a car packed with safety features.🤭

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

Lot of them lost their life...

A sad consequence of the sport we all love, unfortunately. Not very often though, these days, thankfully.

Modern era drivers don't know they're born with all the hi tech safety gizmos and computers.....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Harvey
In the last few days I have discovered your admirable work .
I do not tire of admiring your work through your photos. But how do you do to achieve such small things with such precision?
I use a lot of your pictures to make my model, thanking you again.

Too bad I didn’t find out about you before, I would have avoided many mistakes and understood many things. But it’s no big deal, we’re here for our pleasure.

Manu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1