Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Shall I play this kind of game for my Delahaye 135 at 1/24 scale ? 🤔

Probably very do-able, (A French modeler did that for the same kit), but haven't the skills for, alas 😪

Absolutely gorgeous work on the spoked wheels, my friend 👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Shall I play this kind of game for my Delahaye 135 at 1/24 scale ?

Yeah, why not?

2 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

but haven't the skills for, alas

Oh yes you have...

• Like 1

It looks a whole lot easier than lacing them, as I did on the Bentley.  I noticed the wire wrapped  balance weight too. Can’t wait to see one finished.

I’m  at a bit of a loss to see where the teaspoon fits into this bit, but I’m sure all will be revealed in due course ....🤪

• Thanks 1

Superb work, dear Harvey! Here in Hungary there´s no modeller scene at all. I never saw any kits in a toy store!  But maybe the modellers here are all scratch-builders like you? Who knows... These wheels will become excellent!

Minden jot!  Your friend Hannes

• Like 1

Many thanks gentlemen.

14 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

to see where the teaspoon fits into this bit

Only for its intended purpose at the moment. It can be pressed into service at a moments notice, though.

14 hours ago, Hannes said:

Here in Hungary there´s no modeller scene at all. I never saw any kits in a toy store!

Greetings dear Hannes. Why not start your own... a pioneer in foreign lands...

14 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Can’t wait to see one finished.

14 hours ago, Hannes said:

. These wheels will become excellent!

Let's have a look, then.

49963241742_d0197620f5_k.jpg

49962457898_068de9351f_k.jpg

It was at this point that I realised that I should have fitted the clockwise layer first. This now meant that I had to carefully thread each spoke under 2 others to locate in the hub.:doh: Oh well, mistakes happen. It only took about an hour to do anyway, so not as bad as I feared. I brought the teaspoon into action for a quick brew, then finished off...

49962457988_d16b3fcfd1_k.jpg

49962960186_e126153866_k.jpg

49962458148_d4a92ac698_k.jpg

One down, three to go. 

I think I'll replace the 2 larger weights with a smaller gauge, though. They are a little too large. Other than that, I'm a happy chappy.

Now, where's that 0,3 wire I had...…….??

More soon chaps. Thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 10

I am new to this forum and saw the thread title and clicked on the first page and have since read all 32 pages - I have never seen anything quite so ridiculously sublime before.  Just the most stunning creation and your attention to detail and the hacks you have developed to make the parts are off the scale (pun sort of intended :) ).

I get frustrated at times building a reasonably straightforward plastic kit and now feel kind of embarrassed given what you must go through creating something like this.  I will be following the thread from hear on in :)

• Like 2

Many thanks Danny and welcome to the madness. 

16 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

I get frustrated at times building a reasonably straightforward plastic kit

So did I. I became fed up of inaccurate and often ill-fitting kits and started scratching my own bits. I found it much more pleasurable, learning how to work metal and new techniques. Only problem is.... I've barely finished a model since...:lol:

Speaking of which, this morning I've given the rim a haircut, a clean up and popped the tyre blank on for a quick pose...

49966187073_2c43eed595_k.jpg

49966968942_b8bc583a01_k.jpg

49966968997_5aacedec61_k.jpg

That was most satisfying.

Time for a brew....

Thanks for watching, chaps. More soon.

Cheers, H

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Thanks Dan.

3 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

not easy, but at last what a pleasure!

No, it wasn't as easy as it could've been, due to my little faux pas, but yes, such a joy and a relief to finally see it come together. 

I'm on with the 2nd wheel now., so I suppose I'd better go and order some silicone and resin, then.

• Like 1

Sublieme work, Harvey! You and Olivier, each in your own way (and Hannes in his own way, be it not as far progressed yet), have really brought this once almost forgotten car back to visual memory. Please make sure when the both of you are in homes for the elderly, these models don’t end the Agnelli way...! They’d eventually both belong in a museum really... 

I strongly agree with Codger that the techniques showcased in this build (like those in Propeller’s builds) add an extra dimension of interest and inspiration for us less divine builders. Solution-making on the go is always a great thing to behold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

I strongly agree with Codger that the techniques showcased in this build (like those in Propeller’s builds) add an extra dimension of interest and inspiration for us less divine builders. Solution-making on the go is always a great thing to behold.

Beautifully stated and so true.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

Except that, as I know see, I non-intentionally and erroneously included you within ‘us’, but I’m sure you’ll remember how deeply I admire your amazing work on the Rolls Royce.

I am happy to be included in any group that includes you and those excellent names that inspire us all.

I've learned so much from all of you which is why I came here. I give back what little I can.

But I'm having fun too...:devil:

• Like 2

Thank you ever so much lads. 

3 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

techniques showcased in this build

2 hours ago, Codger said:

Solution-making on the go

I'm really pleased that my (sometimes "off the wall") methods are of interest and an inspiration. I find that the problem solving and tooling is just as much fun as the actual build, tbh.  Plus, being a tight Yorkshireman, why spend good money on something you can make for nowt.

3 hours ago, Codger said:

I've learned so much from all of you

Ditto. I continue to be inspired. Thank you all.

Cheers, H

• Like 1

Fantastic work, dear Harvey! The question now is: What color? On our photos we can see that the wheels were painted either black or Fiat bloody red. Almost all of the predecessors showed red rims, spokes and hubs. And the Codognato-painting confirms this fact.

I don´t believe that the wheels were painted twice (red over black) for weight reasons.

Therefore my suggestion: Paint it red! (Sorry, all Rolling Stones-fans!)  Many greetings!  Hannes

• Like 1

The question of wheel colour has been bugging me for a while now. They absolutely have to be painted... of that there is no doubt (sorry Chas @Codger).

The evidence that we do have, points strongly towards red. The fact that the wheels would have probably been supplied  in customer's chosen colours also adds weight to the evidence. Red wheels would really make the car pop and stand out.

However, this sits uneasily in my mind. Why??...

-Fiat had quit grand prix racing some years earlier, to concentrate on aero-racing in the Sneider Cup.

-The 806/451/406  research and development project was of the highest secrecy. 

-They tested on public roads and a disused military compound around Turin, taking great efforts to avoid being seen.

Surely then, they wouldn't want the car standing out with team colours. So with that in mind, I'm leaning towards black, tbh. Had I been doing the final race version, I would've had no hesitation in painting them red.

The debate is open, gentlemen......:D

• Like 1

Photo 2 for instance shows the car which was used for the Monza test runs. We know that, because the lateral flaps were removed for thermical reasons. The racing records are the clear prove for that. So there was no need for any camouflaging measures anymore. Everybody knew it´s a Fiat racing car. The test runs on public roads were not camouflaged  because the spies didn´t know it´s a Fiat. It was about technical details. I clearly vote for dark red!   Hannes

• Like 1

.... if only they'd had colour cameras back then, eh??? Things would be so much easier.

I may paint 2 red, 2 black for a direct comparison. Either way, it's only a thinners bath away from rectifying.

• Like 1