Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Good morning gentlemen.

I'm pleased...no, ecstatic to report that the task I was least looking forward to is finally over...:yahoo:

Shaping the nipples. Using the lathe for this was not an option without a collet chuck, so it was back to my "hand" lathe (Dremel) and a fine ladies nail file.

So, 1mm tube with 0,5mm bore. This was turned to 0,8 at the shoulder, down to 0,77ish at the tip. Then, spanner flats at the end.

49869239653_5d2f0b774b_k.jpg

49870078902_a88ed52065_k.jpg

49869240223_b5e75abcae_k.jpg

49869773266_d1c9ad8c2c_k.jpg

While maybe not exactly correct, this bit of detail will be rendered virtually invisible by paint anyway... but we know they're there, that's the main thing.

Well, that's all for now, chaps. It's time to turn some new rims. Onwards and upwards.

Cheers, H

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

A probable tedious

Actually, no.......

pain and numbness kicked in looong before that could happen...:D:thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

The stuff we do as a hobby...

I know. Most folk think we're mad.....we are, but it's bloody good fun...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Oh! How I agree

What we, as modellers put ourselves through, at every step of the build, can only be described as utterly insane . I don't think there's anyone among us who hasn't thought the same at some point in a project. Our beloved hobby is, most definitely, a form of OCD , and our constant search for a perfection that can never be realised. My scrap bin and  very messy bench can confirm that statement.

I'm a mad scratchbuilder,  out and proud:D

• Like 4

Most folks were driven insane in our times, and maybe the modeller´s world is still an island of mental sanity!

"It´s never a sign of sanity to be well adapted to a completely sick society." said an Indian philosopher. Very well done, dear Harvey! You make all proud who invested time and effort in this project!   Hannes

• Like 1

Hi,

Oh My God!!!

You’re crazy guys building full car from.... nothing!!

Awesome!

Pascal

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hannes said:

You make all proud who invested time and effort in this project!

Thank you, my friend. It's both a pleasure and an honour. 

I'm hoping that the coming few days should see my virgin spoke lacing attempts. I must admit to feeling a bit nervous, tbh

4 hours ago, pg265 said:

Awesome!

Many thanks, Pascal. You're a highly skilled modeller .....come over to the dark side and have a go, it's great fun.:D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pg265 said:

Hi Pascal

It's worse than that...

He's building a full car that no-one has ever seen from... nothing with no information apart from 7 photos, and a blueprint of the wrong version of the car using an old dremel, a file and a spoon!!!!

Hi Harvey,

Still enjoying seeing progress. Even for you the nipples are a new level of detail. Looking fantastic.

ATB

Nick

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning chaps.

The last couple of weeks has seen 4 new rims turned, with each one drilled 0,8mm for nipples on the jig. Nice and straight-forward.... a day turning and a day on the drill. Simples.....:D

For the next step, the depth stop on my drill decided to curl up it's toes and die on me, so, lots of hand drilling was in my future.

I ground and honed a 2mm drill to a 90 degree(ish) point rather than the normal 120 and then with a pin vice, very carefully drilled until the point was just peeping through. This had the desired effect of raising a dimple and opening the hole out enough to allow for spoke/ nipple angle. Pheww… it was worth screwing up the first batch to get this result. Happy days.

49955599237_cd44abc313_k.jpg

49955315911_57cf6492db_k.jpg

After 2 wheels my finger was heavily blistered, so needed to heal up a bit. With that, my attention turned to a lacing jig.

I'd recently bought a tap and die set, so now was as good a time as any to have a play. So....

49955316041_8415a571a1_k.jpg

49955316156_fc7b51dd76_k.jpg

49955316291_17100e2b26_k.jpg

Quite happy with that. With the rim supports removed, the rim remains firmly clamped, so great for better access. I'll make another clamp though, because it adds to rigidity and makes centering much easier.

So, that's where things stand as of now.

The next update should see the first wheel completed. I'm getting excited...

Thanks for watching, guys. More soon.

Cheers, H

• Like 8

Once again Harvey you 're-invent the wheel' - literally. As well as the tools. I find the jigs and tools you make as fascinating as the parts you make with them.

All seemingly from molecules.........:banghead:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps.

21 hours ago, Codger said:

Continue building;

So I shall.... The first 2 layers of spokes are now glued firmly in place.

49959959862_dc7081f29a_k.jpg

49959960027_f76b7b6ffc_k.jpg

49959182533_c6b8d1163b_k.jpg

So far, so good. 

I'm pleased to say there wasn't any issues and it all went smoothly. 

Time for a tea-break and allow the glue to cure a bit longer, then crack on with the next layers.

Thanks for watching chaps, more soon.

Cheers, H

• Like 11