Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Hello Harvey, hello all,

Glad to see you feel fine, Harvey, and your amazing build is still going on.

On my side, I began a new thread dedicated to a WWI aircraft, the Nieuport 11.

I know most of you, here, are more interested in car builds, but if some want to take a look on this thread, here is the link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjZu66H_9joAhWszIUKHXvVCr8QFjACegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.britmodeller.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F235069609-de-turenne-nieuport-11-from-the-kit-eduard-148%2Fpage%2F2%2F&usg=AOvVaw22FES4Rc074ixV7cCT_6dD

All the best to all, and happy modeling in such surrealist circumstances...

Olivier

• Like 2

Very impressive, dear Harvey! Probably the most difficult parts of the whole model. I really like them!

You are a great warrior and I want to wish you all the best!

Here in Hungary I have to renovate a whole house and much progress happened since November.

I´ll report on our PM when it´s done.  Many greetings also to Olivier!   Hannes

• Like 3

2 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

After making an index plate on the rotary table, I made a simple jig to mount it on the XY table which enabled easy centering and positioning. A nail file confirms dead centre.

Right..! I could use one of those (jig), thanks for the idea :) 

Furthermore, nice idea to make your own rotary table. 

Wheel hubs look nice too, this should enable orderly rigging. Do you already know how to make the tyres? 

• Like 2

Many thanks, lads.

16 hours ago, Hannes said:

Probably the most difficult parts of the whole model

I couldn't agree more and I foresee there will be a need for much calmness and patience in the coming weeks.... and steady hands:D. I look forward to an update on your renovations, dear Hannes.

16 hours ago, Codger said:

These will be epic bits!

I'm not so sure about epic, but the task that lays ahead of me is daunting, indeed.... only another 1240 separate procedures to complete before I can lace a spoke :lol:

16 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Do you already know how to make the tyres? 

I would love to cast them in proper rubber, but have read that its difficult to do... a bit of a black art, if you like. It could turn into a rather expensive experiment, so I'll leave well alone.

My plan is to turn them from black milliput. I will shape an old Stanley blade on the grinder and use it as the form tool (after hardening and tempering, of couse). I'll have to hand carve the diagonals in the tread pattern.

Cheers, H

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Good morning gents.

On 4/10/2020 at 1:00 AM, Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy said:

Definitely shocked and impressed beyond belief!!! :worthy:

Thank you Andrew, glad you like it. 

With the mention of tyres and already having made a blank many moons ago, I just couldn't resist adding a load of milliput shavings to the mix. It machines nicely, but the dust gets everywhere.

After facing-off, my first step was to bore out to rim diameter. I didn't go all the way through, stopping about 5mm short.....I didn't want any accidents.

49759409768_8212f76ca6_k.jpg

49759410298_48f5efde7a_k.jpg

Then a quick check... a nice, snug fit, too.

49759942371_2d707bcf4c_k.jpg

Facing to diameter.... dangerously close to the chuck jaws. I dread to think what would've happened if I'd sneezed at that point:lol:

49760262147_de0abe14ad_k.jpg

49760262272_5b4d7d3589_k.jpg

I then reversed in the chuck and faced to desired thickness. When checked with the model, I'm happy indeed. Once profiled, they should be spot on.... finger's crossed.

49759942941_1d6fc0509b_k.jpg

49759943326_880df67de0_k.jpg

More soon, chaps.

Thank for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 8

Good start Harvey... to assist you in establishing the cross section shape of the tyre, here some photos of the tyres of Delage 15-S-8 chassis 3 and chassis 1. They seem to be the same type, Blockley. Probably look about the same as those on the Fiat. 

49760712752_a72bd2896d_b.jpg 

49760393636_3c69a8d128_b.jpg 

And some images to further help decide. 

49760412751_26f4ed8519_b.jpg 

49760733307_db5b0cdf3e_b.jpg 

49759883943_c70970cfaf_b.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, harveyb258 said:

Alas, no.... I can't even walk straight on terra-firma :D.

Translated in French, "to be on a bit of a roll" gives "avoir le vent en poupe", indeed, in English "to have the wind in you sail from the back" :)

• Like 2

A whole new level of your project Mr H - staggering to see a wheel and tire on it. Changes the whole dynamic and adds to the realism you have created.

Sincerely hope you're wearing a particle mask or respirator with that dust storm. Especially now.

Very exciting for me to see this metal monster come to life. As usual Roy's brilliant reference is invaluable.

You have good friends.......:winkgrin:

• Like 2

Good morning chaps. I hope you are all well and keeping busy.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:41 PM, Codger said:

staggering to see a wheel and tire on it. Changes the whole dynamic and adds to

Funny you should say that, Chas.

For a little while, now, I've been thinking that something didn't quite look right, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.... and all it took was a ring of milliput to assuage my fears:D.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:28 PM, Hannes said:

Maybe the size was a bit different too

Maybe so, dear Hannes. Despite all our extensive/exhausting research, there are still so many unknowns about this beautiful race car.

Time for another update, methinks.

With the hubs drilled, the rims were next in the firing line. With the need of some means to secure them to my dividing plate, I  turned a plug from an offcut of handrail. Not pretty, but does the job...

49784175922_935d5cd9c9_k.jpg

49783315918_8bd6d40ec9_k.jpg

49783316223_a543b1c45f_k.jpg

49783316408_d9e36d8cdc_k.jpg

49783855491_a1f7da7c0e_k.jpg

Next, I decided to throw the tyre in the lathe and get it profiled and grooved, in preparation for cutting the diagonals.

Then, checked with a rim....

49783856586_92dfc85f20_k.jpg

...please excuse poor pic.

The next steps, I think, will be to press the rim dimples, bend some spokes, shape the nipples and coil a few springs. Watch this space...

Well, that's about all for now, chaps.

As always, I thank you all for following along.

Above all, keep well and stay safe.

Cheers, H

• Like 9

On 3/10/2020 at 4:43 PM, harveyb258 said:

Good afternoon gentlemen. 

Before securing the front brake drums, the steel brake cables (0.5mm) had to be installed. As we have zero evidence of any external lever on our many docs, I simply ran the cables into the drums' hollows behind the axle by drilling a 0.6mm hole and secured with CA.

That was the easy part. Trying to thread the cables through their pulleys, beneath the leaf-springs, was a total 'mare. I'm glad I don't have to do that again, lol.

Next up, I made the other 3 spinners ( nickel silver) and shortened the wheel-hubs as they were waaay too long (2mm).

49643870671_d5c118dbe9_k.jpg

The rear drums will also need slightly modifying to their outer faces so that they match the fronts, but that's no biggie.

While I await the delivery of new transmission belt for the lathe, my next step will be to drill lots of small holes in the wheel hubs...watch this space.

Talking of drills, I acquired another "new" toy this week. An antique jeweller/watchmaker pillar drill. It was coated in about 100yrs-worth of oil, grime and rust. It's amazing what 12hrs in a bath of flat cola can do. Despite frequent searches online, I still have no idea of the maker,  or the exact age, but they don't make 'em like this anymore, that's for sure....

49643870746_51f356899b_k.jpg

Nice, eh?? While it remains a stand up piece of art, in it's own right, It's begging to be used....and use it I shall, if I can locate suitable collets. 

Any ideas chaps????

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

I have yet to go through all of this thread that I missed during my absence, but read the last few pages to see where you are with this magnificent build.

Wonderful detailed as always. 

I like your antique machinery.
This drill press, well I’m wondering, maybe it was made as a one off master piece by an instrument maker.

A brilliant instrument maker by the looks of it.

I see that you are becoming an instrument maker yourself. Nice index table you made.

Edited by Pouln
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps.

17 hours ago, Pouln said:

I see that you are becoming an instrument maker yourself. Nice index table you made.

:lol: ….more of a "bodge it n' scarper" means to an end really.

7 hours ago, Hannes said:

Maybe Pirelli could support you? Old catalogues, paintings and so on

All my searches have turned up nothing, so far. However, I think the HR versions of pics 1,2 and 3 allow me enough detail to get the tyres as accurate as possible. We shall see.

On the subject of round things..... pressing the rim dimples didn't go well. In fact, badly enough to warrant new rims. In hindsight, the dimples should have been pressed before drilling :doh:.

Not to worry, though, :poop: happens from time to time and I have enough tube for at least another 4 sets of rims, so no great loss. My little lathe is great fun anyway, so happy days.:D

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As Pouln, I do love your dividing head! And your mini drill would be perfect

in my workshop...

About tires, I said one day another story, in fact it is... Sorry but the best way is moulding.

I hate that, bad smelling products, expensive, and with a very short life time. Only happiness!

Good luck mate!

Dan.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

As Pouln, I do love your dividing head! And your mini drill would be perfect

in my workshop...

About tires, I said one day another story, in fact it is... Sorry but the best way is moulding.

I hate that, bad smelling products, expensive, and with a very short life time. Only happiness!

Good luck mate!

Dan.  

Or 3D printing using resin? (smells bad too….)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

And your mini drill would be perfect

in my workshop...

......mine..... my precious:D

18 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

Sorry but the best way is moulding.

I hate that, bad smelling products, expensive, and with a very short life time.

I fully agree, Dan and that is going to be my new course of action. However, I still have to complete a master.....

The things I hate about the process is the awful stink and the viscosity of both RTV and casting resins. If both mediums had the scent of strawberries and poured like milk, I'd be a happy man.

17 hours ago, Pouln said:

Or 3D printing

Sadly, you won't see any of that from me. I struggle with typing a few sentences on the keyboard, so it's beyond my abilities. Fascinating to watch, though.

Give me a pile of materials, a few basic tools and the back of a fag packet to scribble on and I'm good to go:D

• Like 1