Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

• 2 months later...

Hello gentlemen.

Please excuse my absence these last few weeks. Arthritis and trapped nerves, plus, frequent loss of feeling in my arms hasn't really been conducive to major progress, I'm afraid..... most frustrating!!

However, progress has been made on the steering linkages. Taking progress shots completely slipped my mind, sorry....won't happen again. The drums are made from ali discs that I turned on the Dremel.

49529559108_c5dfab1063_k.jpg

49529559338_45c96fad66_k.jpg

49530290362_ae8b6c4bed_k.jpg

49529559813_b6916c8cf0_k.jpg

49530063261_eb3c664e61_k.jpg

The drums are only dry-fitted until I sort out the cable connection.

I also acquired a "new" toy this week....

49530065441_4fa59f3dfb_k.jpg

Super Adept, made circa 1933. Runs very smoothly and has been well cared for by an old model-engineer. Great electrics, too...:lol:

I'll get a decent motor for it next week, then I can start turning the wheel rims.

Onwards we go.

That's all for now, chaps.

Thank you for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 8

Sorry to hear about your troubles Harvey, it sounds worrying. I've been wondering where you were these last few weeks. I hope you'll be able to keep up your work, it looks very pretty as usual. All the best!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear HarveyI don´t know what to say.Maybe you should think about visiting me in Hungary.There are a lot of thermal springs which could help to solve the described problems.I want to wish you all the best and keep my fingers crossed for an early recovery.

You can always contact me on our PM..

Regarding your model:It´s realistic and beautiful! Personally I believe that the left front wheel was a bit more chambered than the right one

All the best! Your friend Hannes

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your kind wishes and comments,

chaps.

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I hope you'll be able to keep up your work,

'til my dying breath, mate.

2 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

some information of this English manufacturer,

I've visited that site quite a few times recently, as it goes. Very informative, indeed.

3 hours ago, Hannes said:

Personally I believe that the left front wheel is a bit more chambered than the right one

I think so too. I have set the right-hand upright to 5 degrees from vertical and the left set at 6, although the pic doesn't show it clearly. Will PM you tomorrow, matey.

2 hours ago, Codger said:

So glad you've lost none of your skills Mr H

Only my hair and sanity, thank goodness.

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon gentlemen. 

Before securing the front brake drums, the steel brake cables (0.5mm) had to be installed. As we have zero evidence of any external lever on our many docs, I simply ran the cables into the drums' hollows behind the axle by drilling a 0.6mm hole and secured with CA.

That was the easy part. Trying to thread the cables through their pulleys, beneath the leaf-springs, was a total 'mare. I'm glad I don't have to do that again, lol.

49643343568_9a0eaa24f9_k.jpg

49644149692_3155a5cdba_k.jpg

Next up, I made the other 3 spinners ( nickel silver) and shortened the wheel-hubs as they were waaay too long (2mm).

49643343783_098ade22de_k.jpg

49644149482_4b84229879_k.jpg

49643870671_d5c118dbe9_k.jpg

The rear drums will also need slightly modifying to their outer faces so that they match the fronts, but that's no biggie.

While I await the delivery of new transmission belt for the lathe, my next step will be to drill lots of small holes in the wheel hubs...watch this space.

Talking of drills, I acquired another "new" toy this week. An antique jeweller/watchmaker pillar drill. It was coated in about 100yrs-worth of oil, grime and rust. It's amazing what 12hrs in a bath of flat cola can do. Despite frequent searches online, I still have no idea of the maker,  or the exact age, but they don't make 'em like this anymore, that's for sure....

49643870746_51f356899b_k.jpg

49643344543_4b9e24e331_k.jpg

49644150717_402c9ce9d6_k.jpg

Nice, eh?? While it remains a stand up piece of art, in it's own right, It's begging to be used....and use it I shall, if I can locate suitable collets. 

Any ideas chaps????

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 9

No pulleys missing, although there's space for a 2 or 3 step pulley on the spindle. It didn't come with a belt, but I have some on order.

47 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

With a lathe you could do your own 😉

Yes, I suppose I could. I hadn't really thought about making my own, tbh…. :hmmm:.

So how does the belt run? I thought it would be laid around the spindle (obvious), then each side run down via the vertikal pulleys to change direction. Next woud be another pulley on the drive shaft of a motor or perhaps into a little gearbox. That last pulley I don't see.

12 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Next woud be another pulley on the drive shaft of a motor or perhaps into a little gearbox. That last pulley I don't see.

Aaaah, now I get what you're meaning. Yes, that is correct.... I just haven't bought a motor for it, yet. I'll buy one next pay-day and get it up-and-running. In the meantime, I already have a "normal" bench drill, so there's no immediate rush.

• Like 1

You're a bloody genius Harvey.  I very much enjoy going thru your wip and seeing your magnificent masterpiece coming together.

Whenever I'm stuck with one of my projects, I study one like this and get inspired to go back to my workbench.

Thanks so much far sharing your excellent work.

Sincerely

Pascal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The old Jimi Hendrix song "Axis bold as love" comes into my mind if I see your wonderful construction. That´s modelling at it´s best because it comes from your heart. The pulleys look great! 

All the best and I also want to wish you progress regarding the recovery of your health  as well!  Hannes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pascal said:

Thanks so much far sharing your excellent work.

It's a pleasure, Pascal. I'm glad you find it inspirational.

4 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

We are into an 1930' workshop, really...

What can I say? I just love vintage mechanicals.

9 minutes ago, Hannes said:

because it comes from your heart.

Albeit a knackered damaged one...lol.

Thank you for your kind wishes, mate.

• Like 1

Beautiful work. Always a pleasure to see such skill and dedication. 

I need to go back to the start of this thread and read the whole thing to do it credit as have really only just picked this one up.

Definitely agree with the others regarding very best wishes on the health front.

• Thanks 1

49643870671_d5c118dbe9_k.jpg

My heart skipped a beat when I saw this, remembering all the research we did and the images we found, resembling this so much. 

For the sake of extreme excitement, it's not a bad thing after all to not follow a forum section for some months... you present us with the true shape of this beautiful car, I'm positive. 

• Like 4

Harvey,

Firstly I hope you are,a remain OK in these extraordinary times.

I realised something today. The excellence both of your workmanship and photography mean I usually look in wonder at details that have previously only been hazy details on grainy photographs. In doing so it is easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. Today, just before reading Roy's post, I happened to step back and look once again at the whole car. Like Roy, it gave me a shiver. To see such a familiar shape from a novel angle was a joy.

Thanks again.

To you and all the others here, I hope everyone remains safe.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Harvey, seeing your work at this stage is a fantastic treat. Seeing your full recovery would be even greater.

Please put as much effort into that as this brilliant project. Your presence here is very important to the finest builders on this site, as evidenced by their presence in this thread.

You are certainly in that illustrious group.

C

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon gentlemen.

I hope you are all staying safe and well in these very strange times and I thank you for your kind words and well-wishes.

The enforced isolation has seen me in good spirits and I've been rather busy tackling some of those long overdue "....get to 'em later" jobs around the house. Well, it is spring, after all.

Oh.....and a spot of modelling, too....:D

Time for a bit of drilling, then.

After making an index plate on the rotary table, I made a simple jig to mount it on the XY table which enabled easy centering and positioning. A nail file confirms dead centre.

49748850693_592a23e1e2_k.jpg

49749721527_e4a2288cee_k.jpg

Some time later, we have four of these...

49748852583_d98f261022_k.jpg

I then fired up the lathe and made some ( a lot of) curly swarf and wheel rims...

49748852818_433f1638c7_k.jpg

49749723767_9f1e0fad6a_k.jpg

The rims still need a bit of refining, but things are definitely moving forward nicely.

More soon, chaps. Thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 10