Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

I think, looking at your fantastic work, @harveyb258, that never I'll be able to reach such a result, so, definitely, I've decided to stop modeling ... I'm going to learn knitting : it will be easier... a stitch in place, a mesh in reverse, and so on 😉

• Haha 3

Thank you all for your kind comments, chaps. Always much appreciated.

@Schwarz-Brot and @Jo NZ in reply to your questions: the different lengths were achieved by stamping side-by-side. To keep them straight, I glued ally strips to mark the top and bottom lines of each row. Then, as long as the first louvre is pressed square to the top line there shouldn't be a problem with alignment. You just have to ensure that the previous louvre is kept tight to the shoulder of the female part which each successive cut. Easier said than done, though...:lol:.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:49 PM, Hannes said:

Let´s be glad that the shorter 451 engine was a flop and the 406 allowed the creation of  this unique shape

It will live again... even if only in scratch-world...:D

On 10/29/2019 at 6:43 PM, Codger said:

but you MUST make your next project in 1/8 scale.

You can have my assurance on that, my good man.

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon, gents.

Only a small update on this occasion...not much for a months work, I know, but that's the way the cookie crumbles in scratch-world sometimes :lol:.

Ok then, uprights and steering arms... 1st attempt-

49187060228_cc37898fe7_k.jpg

49187752902_52f5af9e06_k.jpg

Turned from white-metal in the Dremel, then drilled a 2mm hole through the length to accept a 2mm brass tube. This was then soldered in place with low temp solder (70C) and the soldering-iron.

After sawing the bracket slots I drilled for the stub-axles and then soldered the brackets. The arms are aluminium.

It was only when I dry-fit them that I realised that the stub axles would be about 3mm too low (more than the suspension-travel would allow) ...D'OH!!!!:doh:

The second attempt was going really well, until I mistakenly picked up the torch instead of the soldering-iron and made a puddle...:oops:

Third time lucky. This time the top part is brass for extra strength-

49187753362_85d72d4291_k.jpg

49187753632_3da15ebe7b_k.jpg

49187061653_498928d8fc_k.jpg

49187754127_dc926b990c_k.jpg

49187061948_b25223c153_k.jpg

49187557231_77b94612be_k.jpg

Well, that's all for now, folks!!

I hope you enjoy and, as always, thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 7

Harvey just figuring out what's required is a major accomplishment. And making something three times to get right is no disgrace; it's page one of my handbook. :doh:

Brilliant and worth the wait as always.

C

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You´re the real successor of Massimino,dear Harvey! Even if I´m 900 km more far away from you than before,I can see your great craftmanship!

I´m busy now with house renovation works but I´ll be back to construct my painted version.Your great work will inspire and motivate.

Congratulations!  Your friend Hannes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks,, chaps.

3 hours ago, Codger said:

making something three times to get right is no disgrace;

The scrap pile grows larger on a daily basis, my friend... the bench looks like a salvage yard at the moment.

57 minutes ago, Hannes said:

house renovation works but I´ll be back to construct my painted version

Happy renovating, dear Hannes. I look forward to your build resumption.

Cheers, H

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

49187557231_77b94612be_k.jpg

Hi Harvey,

Fantastic as always. Great to see the car from new angles.

This view for example just highlights for me how little structure held the wheels on. No wonder they had some stiffness issues. I just want to add some more components to make it work properly. A top wish-bone perhaps. But then what do I know.

Thanks again

Nick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Many thanks,, chaps.

The scrap pile grows larger on a daily basis, my friend... the bench looks like a salvage yard at the moment.

That 'scrap' would make many modelers here happy to have. :cheers:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NickD said:

how little structure held the wheels on. No wonder they had some stiffness issues.

I couldn't agree more, Nick... most definitely the weakest area of the entire car.

I bet that Bordino was a bit "anxious" (brown trouser club) when entering Curva Grande for the first time at breakneck speed....:yikes:

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Codger said:

That 'scrap' would make many modelers here happy to have.

Codger's got that one right.

Harvey - You may have already done this so forgive the question if it's a repeat.  I would love to see your workshop.  Turning, fabrication tools and the like.  Thanks!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JCH said:

Harvey -   I would love to see your workshop.  Turning, fabrication tools and the like.  Thanks!

I am chuckling at this request. :D Harvey's tools which created this masterpiece can be found in the average kitchen drawer !

Because I have long marveled that he achieved such fidelity, scale and outright artwork with the simplest of 'tools' and methods.

It's possible he's related to Da Vinci, master artisan and craftsman.

-And I am not prone to hyperbole gents...............

• Like 2

Good job Harvey, but...
But? Be careful! 
To my eyes, your steering linkages are not realistic, I'm sorry.
I don't saw all the drawings but you must necessarily have one ball joint on any end. Yellow arrows. And for the red one, an setting

system, inside maybe? 

Without all of that, the steering can't works. No displacement possible!

191209061932725474.png

Old ball joints was archaic, but they are here!

Like this there, 1923' :

191209060242871124.png

Sorry again my dear,

Dan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, chaps.

23 hours ago, JCH said:

Turning, fabrication tools and the like. 

No problem JC. I will post something later this week..

22 hours ago, Codger said:

I am chuckling at this request. :D Harvey's tools which created this masterpiece can be found in the average kitchen drawer !

I must admit, I had a bit of a giggle at that, too.

I thank you once again for your most eloquent compliments, Sir.

20 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

Sorry again my dear,

No apologies needed, Dan.  Thank you for pointing it out. You are indeed correct.

The necessary modifications are now underway. Nice pic btw.

Cheers, H

• Like 1

Mmm,I don´t know. I cannot see any ballpoints on our photos (12 and 21 f.i.) and none on our drawings 1 and 2 .But I suggest to close the tubes for stability reasons like we can see if we look at the steering rods of the Mefistofele.( with lubrication nipples)   All the best!   Hannes 

• Like 2

Dear Dan,please have a look at the photos and the drawings I mentioned above.The photos were taken from a car which was real and alive at that time.The unusual shape of the frontal axle caused torsion problems and the steering rods did not work properly.The result was a jumping left front wheel.Massimino finally found a solution and I did show his painting in the research and scratchbuild thread. A model must also show a wrong construction if there has been one. Maybe there were joints inside the tubes.   Greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

Harvey,

I bet a whole load of armchair warriors wading in with advice is just what you want. With that in mind, I thought I'd wade in anyway.:lol:

(egg-sucking alert) The only joint we have any sort of clear view of is the connection between the rear of the longitudinal steering arm and the arm out of the side of the steering box.

Looking at it again, in the view from the right rear corner I saw something I hadn't noticed before. The tube appears to end in a way that I had always assumed was just an open tube. Looking at it really magnified there are 2 highlights on the circumference 90 deg apart. I wondered whether this might have been some form adjuster. Which perhaps supports Dan's comments above.

Something also protrudes out of the bottom of this joint. So even after all this time, I've just realised just how complicated this detail is

As this is the only information that exists, you are safe to do as you  please but as the others have said, it seems likely that these joints were as exquisitely engineered as rest of the car's details (like the brake adjuster).

All the best

Nick

• Haha 3

Harvey, thanks for your involuntary hosting...

Another thank you to RdM for excellent pics of the Delage, showing some similar parts:

191212112707238166.jpg

191212112707386619.jpg

191212112707661797.jpg

And now a (bad) sketch of mine to explain the principe:

191212113825409777.png

But effectively, on bad pics or drawings, you only can see that, therefore always closed:

191212114316373483.png

Note the two washers! Instinctively, our great modeler Harvey saw some trouble here...

You are all right, but laws of mechanic stays here!

Thanks again my dear Harvey!

Dan.

• Like 3

Thank you all for wading-in....:lol:.

I agree that I haven't portrayed these joints very realistically. My main concern was getting it bolted up and checking the geometry was correct, tbh.  You will see a vast improvement with the next update...

14 hours ago, Hannes said:

steering rods did not work properly.The result was a jumping left front wheel

Funnily enough, mine don't work too well, either....a bit on the sloppy side, shall we say.

14 hours ago, NickD said:

I've just realised just how complicated this detail is

She was a complicated little lady.

1 hour ago, PROPELLER said:

And now a (bad) sketch of mine to explain the principe:

That's a good sketch, dear Dan, it explains very clearly. Thank you.

Cheers, H

• Like 2