Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Great , impressive progress , dear Harvey ! Massimino , Zerbi , Cavalli , the drivers and all the other engineers and mechanics would be very proud to see your model .

Old Agnelli will rotate in his grave👿  And Luca di Montezemolo should bow his head !   Very well done !   Hannes

• Like 2

Wow, Harvey, I’m in awe about the results you achieve here. This is looking really convincing. 

Do you record the time you are spending on this build? 

Must be an enormous amount of hours. 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks, Poul, I'm glad you like.

48 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Do you record the time you are spending on this build? 

I don't really, tbh, but the last guess-timation (6ish mnths ago) it was in excess of 1000 hrs, so it's hard to say. The parts count will be even higher...

Cheers, H

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

How did you attach the blisters? I’m intrigued to see how you press the louvres, I did mine before bending the panels. I hope you have a better way.

Here is one I spoke about above.

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing work! I just love the look and skill of real old world craftsmanship on display here. Unless you have ever done any scratch building you really don’t have any idea of how much thought and how many do overs go into what you are seeing here! Great work Harvey! 

• Like 1

Many thanks, chaps.

1 hour ago, Jo NZ said:

How did you attach the blisters?

The blisters aren't attached, they're pressed out, Each bonnet is one piece.

1 hour ago, Jo NZ said:

intrigued to see how you press the louvres

It will be something similar to your and Dan's designs, I think.

I'll have a play tomorrow and see what transpires.

2 hours ago, Codger said:

Louvers have been a 1:1 favorite of mine too

There's nothing like a nice row of louvres, is there?

Cheers, H

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

You astound and delight me each time I look in. On first sight I thought 'Those look pressed in the skin'. But swore they had to be separate bits because they're perfectly formed without kinks, lumps or asymmetry. You know, like I do things. :crosseyed:

And I'll remind the forum that way back in this thread I lavishly complimented you on the basic-ness of the tools you fashion parts from. OK, crudeness !:mental:

You are a true blacksmith of modern times and I mean that as the highest possible compliment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

What thickness of ally? Annealed, pie tin, something else? It's excellent.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

What thickness of ally? Annealed, pie tin

It's 0,3mm ally sheet. The pie-tin was just a trial.

Each blister took 2 annealings to reach the desired depth, using a sharpie to gently stretch and press out the form. The LH bonnet went perfectly at first attempt, the RH, however, took 3 attempts lol.

9 hours ago, Codger said:

You are a true blacksmith of modern times and I mean that as the highest possible compliment.

I feel truly honoured to receive such high praise, Chas. Thank you, Sir.

Cheers, H

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Each blister took 2 annealings to reach the desired depth, using a sharpie to gently stretch and press out the form. The LH bonnet went perfectly at first attempt, the RH, however, took 3 attempts lol.

See why you deserve the title???:smartass:

Dear Harvey! I just came back from my trip to Hungary and was very pleased to see the bonnets in situ .Great work !

Regarding the openings in front of the cam fairings : There are only two photos where we can see them : Photo 1 and 2 .

In my opinion they are arched like we can see on photo 1 (through the spokes ) On photo 2 they seem to be angular but I´m convinced that this view from behind  creates an optical  illusion ( foresighting effect ) I can see it if I look at my own elaboration .

The cam fairings and the openings should not directy transit  imho for several reasons .A tiny bridge is helpful for the reinforcement of the edges and also looks much better imho .

This is no destructive but constructive criticism , dear Harvey !  I really admire your wonderful work ! 

Remember the old words : You can trust everybody who is searching for  the truth . But never trust someone who claims that he´s already found it .

All the best !  Your friend Hannes

• Like 2

Many thanks, dear Hannes.

15 hours ago, Hannes said:

arched like we can see on photo 1

OOPS!!! How the **** did I miss that??? I must get my eyes tested again. Thank you for yours.

On this occasion, I will (try to) correct my error, rather than re-doing the bonnets. 

I think it's actually in a really good place to add a piece of ally and make the joint disappear, so we'll see how it goes.

It's all part of the fun...

Cheers, H

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings chaps.

Finally, more to report on the bonnets.

Feeling a bit miffed at my error, I decided to fashion some sort of louvre press. Now, as you have come to expect of me...it's crude:lol:.

The female tool is made from an electrical plug pin ( good hard brass), into which I cut a groove and shoulders with a needle file.

The male tool had to be sharpenable  (tool steel), so I sacrificed a couple of screwdriver bits and ground and honed them to shape. I then set up on drill press.

48979429111_79b8972fd2_k.jpg

48979429396_ca16a6998d_k.jpg

48979610137_d3385e80c7_k.jpg

A simple means of locking the spindle...

48979430561_433cf85792_k.jpg

Then, my nightmare began....

here's some I made earlier:wall:

48978874353_4a57af6fc7_k.jpg

And then finally...

48978875193_faa90a71e9_k.jpg

48979613037_3ef83ea058_k.jpg

48978876188_4a02107f1d_k.jpg

48979613807_5eb7b81c5e_k.jpg

48979434356_1173ae003c_k.jpg

48979615472_6d336fe2a7_k.jpg

48979613502_2ff2bbfa6f_k.jpg

I'm still not 100% happy with the results though, so I will probably make another pair....but not just yet, I've had enough of them at the moment, tbh.

It's time to get stuck in to the front brakes, upright and steering etc.

That's all for now, folks! Thanks for watching. 

Cheers, H

• Like 9

wow - just wow. I would not have been patient enough to pull this off! All those trials must have cost a ton of time. I love the result and ask, if I may, how you achieved the ever increasing length on the side? Stamping several times side by side?

Hard to believe this is achieved with such simple tools. No hiding for any of us - you are the proof no expensive tool is needed for high end scratch building. Just patience and ingenuity.

• Like 1

They are very good. I can sympathize with the amount of scrap - at least the raw material isn’t expensive. How did you make the different lengths?  And how did you keep them straight And evenly pitched?

In retrospect your scrap pile is impressively small, considering  all the problems  to overcome...

Jo

• Like 1

A real piece of art (Deco ) like the original!  Your work is an act of revival. The golden ratio 1:1,61 (lenght bodywork/ lenght bonnets plus most frontal point of the radiator case )

and the silver ratio 1:1,44 ( dimensions frontal  opening radiator case ) are the foundations for the beauty of this car.

Let´s be glad that the shorter 451 engine was a flop and the 406 allowed the creation of  this unique shape .Greetings from Pinoccio!

I´m very impressed , dear Harvey !My congratulations !   Hannes

• Like 1

It's all been said Harvey and I totally agree. Don't even THINK about making new panels. If there are any flaws (and that's not evident in these shots) leave them in because;

A. They are not egregious.

B. They completely fit with the hand-made character and craftsmanship in this whole build.

Part of the charm of what you're accomplishing.

Those hoods have stunning amount of evident skill (and ingenuity) with the blisters faired-in and now hand-hammered louvers.

I know everyone's tired of me singing this song but you MUST make your next project in 1/8 scale. You can join Daniel by having mastered classic sport cars in that scale. :whip:

• Like 2