Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Wonderful work as always , dear Harvey ! I just came back from my trip to Hungary and also found a very nice new home .. I´ll report on our PM in the coming days . Have a good time , brave fighter for the truth !   Hannes

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody and thank you for your kind words.

Apologies for the delayed update, chaps...I think it's worth the wait, though.

After forming a new front half and connecting to the rear, it was onto the task of riveting (many happy hours on hands and knees battling the carpet-monster :lol:) and working out a way to secure the bodywork to the chassis with minimal bolts for ease of removal.

Our photo 3 shows what looks to be a tab and a bolt situated on the chassis leg, just ahead of rear crossmember...

48710927918_a0231107cb_k.jpg

… so that's what I did. Nice and easy to get to...

48711262821_feb51cf95b_h.jpg

At the front there's a tab on both sides, into which I soldered pins. These slide into corresponding holes on the frame. The entire operation of body removal is now an entirely stress-free experience...aaaaahhhh:D

48711429947_8ca514ae88_h.jpg

And now, some more pics... bulkhead blank and bonnet support added, too.

48711268821_ca1a13be23_h.jpg

48711269021_3bbe62e568_h.jpg

48711434377_cd71dfb913_h.jpg

48711271811_4b302c6019_h.jpg

48711273191_953186c824_h.jpg

48710942918_dbbedf4f60_h.jpg

48711274246_6d552d0ebc_h.jpg

Despite numerous trial-fits, I was still a bit nervous upon bolting down for the first time... just waiting for that dreaded CRACK to sound, lol.

All's well, so happy days.

Bonnets next, so that should be fun.

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 12

Harvey, I can't exaggerate how much you've captured the feel and proportion of that 1:1 lead photo. Incredible.

Just get the tires all sandy like that and your model gets hot and pungent as in life. Benzine, Castrol and all.

You have a special gift my friend...:worthy:

• Like 3

Great progress , dear Harvey ! A revival of an Art Deco icon ! It´s very important for the bonnets adaption works to follow that every piece is firmly in place and you found a very clever solution . My compliments !  Your friend Hannes

• Like 1

Thank you all, ever so much, chaps.

17 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

I wonder what our friends at Centro Storico would say if they saw the model and compared it to their own. 

I wonder, too......

16 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

I still wait to find back the motivation to go on

Don't worry, Olivier, It will come.

1 hour ago, Hannes said:

bonnets adaption works to follow

Absolutely, dear Hannes and I can't wait to see the bonnets in place. I have a full sheet of ali to go at if the louvre stamping doesn't go smoothly....watch this space!:D

Cheers, H

• Like 2

Hello chaps.

Okay then, bonnet hinge...

I've fitted many piano-hinges in my time, but never have I ever made one, so this is another first for this project.

The knuckle is 0,8 and pin is 0,6mm nickel and the leaves are 0,3mm tin-plate steel. The top piece in the pic was a bit naff, so it got replaced.

48748474967_f50a64fe4a_h.jpg

Next, the soldering. Here, there is HUGE potential for it all to go disastrously wrong. Prevention is far better than the cure, as they say, so the pin and each alternate knuckle were blathered with a Sharpie (any marker pen will work just as well). This acts as a great barrier to prevent any solder-creep... you can then solder with confidence. When done, give the piece an acetone bath to clean up.

48748292336_e5d9803aa4_h.jpg

Next, with a fine sharpie, I concentrated just on the knuckle joints. Then, with croc-clips on the alternates, I could then solder the 2nd leaf.

48748475527_91fb33283d_h.jpg

48748292871_3a2c18ca7b_h.jpg

48747957858_8aeb1fac40_h.jpg

48748475847_38fa23f210_h.jpg

I'm really quite chuffed with the outcome … and it works!!! YAY!!:yahoo:

Well, that's all for now, folks.

Hope you enjoy and thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 10

The bonnets-back-bone ! And don´t forget the hook-spring bonnets removal system !😄 Just kidding... Although , a little hook could look even more realistc...

Great , impressive work , dear Harvey ! I look forward to your bonnets manufacturing ! It´s very pretentious , we all know that .

All the best !   Hannes

P.S. The central lines  of the cam fairings are  not parallel to the edges of the bonnets !

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps.

11 minutes ago, Hannes said:

And don´t forget the hook-spring bonnets removal system !😄 Just kidding... Although , a little hook could look even more realistc.

I had planned to do that, but in all honesty at this scale it's not really practical. Of course, I will add the hook, once the bonnets are attached. The bulkhead pivot will be located with a couple of small pins to facilitate easy removal...

Cheers, H

• Like 1

On 10/09/2019 at 16:34, Codger said:

Harvey, I can't exaggerate how much you've captured the feel and proportion of that 1:1 lead photo. Incredible.

Just get the tires all sandy like that and your model gets hot and pungent as in life. Benzine, Castrol and all.

You have a special gift my friend...

Hi Harvey,

While I have been following on all summer, life gets in the way sometimes.

I love the B&W pics above. As the others have said, it's magnificent. I particularly felt Codger captured it well.

Keep up the good work. Bring on the spoons!

ATB

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi chaps.

Thank you all, once again, for all your kind comments... they are like fuel to my motivation.

Having said that, I didn't manage to get any actual work done this week, but I've been carefully going through our reference material in prep. for the bonnets fabrication, so it's time well spent.

It's now time to abuse some metal....:evil_laugh:

Cheers, H

• Like 1

Many thanks Roy and hello all.

Moving on with the bonnets... yesterday, I spent a relaxing afternoon making a template and preliminary marking-out. A couple of minor adjustments are still needed, but I'm happy to proceed.

48793046251_1195ff445e_h.jpg

Today, I made the mould for the blisters-

48793046651_feb1abe179_h.jpg

… and did a couple of test presses (first one went a bit wrong), using up some old pie-dish ali.

48792682108_9c7a87ddef_h.jpg

48792682208_bfcc6f77fd_h.jpg

48793047811_e2d9655b92_h.jpg

I'm happy with that, so I'm off to do it for real, now.

More soon...

Cheers, H

• Like 5