Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

19 minutes ago, PROPELLER said:

For sure, we enjoy...
Stellar work, congrats!

Dan.

+ 1, for sure...

Cheers

Olivier

P.S: and I agree with JeroenS, photos on the previous post in BW amazingly beautiful and promising...

• Thanks 1

Hi Harvey,

Really enjoyed your recent posts.

48247197432_ca96ddcf5c_z.jpg

This is taking the mick. You have not used any form of computer at all. There's no way this should work. There should be laws about exhibiting this amount of skill in a built up area.

On 10/07/2019 at 09:16, harveyb258 said:

48247112041_cdd9d53b40_h.jpg

Who'd have guessed they used an enormous spoon  to shape the headrest

On 16/07/2019 at 20:08, harveyb258 said:

48300700326_ef57fcfca3_h.jpg

LoL!

On 16/07/2019 at 20:08, harveyb258 said:

48300707061_4c9fd742dc_h.jpg

Just Fab

Like the posts from today too. Looks convincing to my eye. Not that I suspect you need my endorsement.

Great effort.

All the best

Nick

PS Feel stingy about only being able to give one like per post.

Edited by NickD
Forgot.
  • Like 3

50 years ago I was watching the first men on the moon . It´s a pleasure to see another giant leap in another scale  after half of a century .

This car is an icon of our common European culture and I hope this culture will prevail even it´s in great jeopardy right now .

Very well done , dear Harvey !  Hannes

• Like 1

Many thanks, chaps.

11 hours ago, NickD said:

This is taking the mick.

11 hours ago, NickD said:

Who'd have guessed they used an enormous spoon  to shape the headrest

I guess giants really DID exist...lol.

That's what I love about what I do...you can spend a LOT of money on special tools ( doming/dapping etc) to create whatever piece you're working on, when It's not really necessary....the home is already full of goodies for use in different applications. The hard part is finding them:lol:...

Cheers, H

Edited by harveyb258
Forgot summat!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

That's what I love about what I do...you can spend a LOT of money on special tools ( doming/dapping etc) to create whatever piece you're working on, when It's not really necessary....the home is already full of goodies for use in different applications. The hard part is finding them:lol:...

I agree ! But to my eyes, the hardest thing is to find the good method.
 After that, time and sweat...

Dan

• Like 2

5 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Cheers, H

You have demonstrated genius at doing that. :worthy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Codger said:

You have demonstrated genius at doing that. :worthy:

A life-time of working on site with no materials and limited electricity, and/or availability of any necessary tooling, has created my inner genius(????) /madness, tbh:lol:

I suppose I'm "old-skool"......I'll always find a way.:D

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody.

After what seemed like an eternity of beating, stamping, fitting and fettling, I can now show you some more progress on my beloved Fiat.

48438437781_fb5de0cece_h.jpg

48438436106_6e5074b837_h.jpg

48438433936_41316f0051_h.jpg

48438433766_df1b56a0f7_h.jpg

48438433486_162d30d44b_h.jpg

48438433256_c16f4b68df_h.jpg

48438579457_81e08893f7_h.jpg

The tip of the tail split open upon 1st trial fit...confirming what I already expected (not enough taper on the rear of the fuel tank), so I left the tip open until yesterday.

As you can see, it won't quite fit, so I now need to remove the tank and modify it slightly...

48438435911_0859efd5cb_h.jpg

So, that's where things stand at the moment.

Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy.

More soon.

Cheers, H

• Like 7

It pains me to see you must remedy the miscalculation Harvey, but I feel that beautiful tail cone must be preserved. The shape and louvers - just perfect. Hopefully, a bit of solder to close the split is all that's needed. The tank is more involved. But I would grit my teeth and attack it with an eye toward the greater good the result will bring. :whip:

Once again I must rave about how the rawness of the materials imparts such an old-world museum, hand made quality to this. Really 'Industrial Revolution' look.  Far beyond mere model building. This is a metal sculpture and I love it.

• Like 3

Great work Harvey! I’m also in the Codger camp on the way it’s looking. The whole hand hammered 30’s look evokes just how the real car must have looked. Nothing was perfect back in the day and it looks all the more realistic for it! 🤔

• Like 4

Harvey,

Beautiful as always. Very excellent hammering indeed.

Fellow Fiat Fans,

In case you had not spotted it, this week's Autosport carries the following wonderful picture of the great man on a busy day at the office.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/photos/pietro-bordino-fiat-804-pitstop/41908394/

Certainly worth another look. Though the date should be 1922 not 1918.

A weathering opportunity extraordinaire -after scratchbuilding the car of course.

Last weekend's German GP was pretty eventful but the drivers clearly have it easy compared to Bordino's generation (and so many of those that followed).

In the race above, 3 Fiats started. All apparently had a rear axle fault. Biagio Nazarro lost control of the car when a rear wheel came off and was killed. Bordino had a similar failure but safely stopped the car. Felice Nazarro won. 2 weeks later Bordino won and Nazarro came second in Italy.

Having watched GPs most of my life, I still cannot understand how individuals can risk so much (which is why I sit and watch).

I am sure at least some of our current GP stars would have been up for the challenge. However, I am grateful that, mostly, they are protected enough that they can exhibit their supreme skills week in week out.

For me the fascination with the 806 is partly about understanding the lost engineering and partly about commemorating a time when superheros drove vehicles that were marginal even in the dry and must have been terrifying in the wet. 

Thanks in advance for your indulgence for this little diversion.

Regards

Nick

PS Autosport's coverage of the German GP is also excellent!

• Like 3

Many thanks, chaps.

4 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

nice hammering!

It was!!!  I found it very relaxing and therapeutic, slowly teasing a sheet of ali to shape. Hand forming the louvres was a bit intense, though...knowing that the slightest slip or error would mean a new tail-end. Phew!!!

4 hours ago, Codger said:

It pains me to see you must remedy the miscalculation Harvey,

That's the nature-of-the-beast, unfortunately, Chas

4 hours ago, Codger said:

But I would grit my teeth and attack it with

…..a big hammer????:lol:

3 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

pics recalls me so many things...

Your build seems so long ago...good memories.

1 hour ago, larchiefeng said:

I’m also in the Codger camp on the way it’s looking. The whole hand hammered 30’s look evokes just how the real car must have looked

I'm glad you share my vision, sir.

Cheers, H

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, NickD said:

Beautiful as always

Many thanks Nick. 

29 minutes ago, NickD said:

A weathering opportunity extraordinaire -after scratchbuilding the car of course.

It is indeed, mate...what a great pic from yesteryear. Thanks for sharing that.

Cheers, H

• Like 1

A great , realistic reconstruction ! Bravo ! Maybe my old hawkeyes can help to improve just one not completely correct line  : It´s the edge between the two farings on the right side . In my opinion this line of the bodywork should be less arched and more straight in the central part . Look at our photos and maybe at my own elaboration .

There should be a relatively sharp turn in the region  of the seat fairing into  the upward direction imho or else the seat won´t fit .The seat is slightly slanted and you should  make a cardboard pattern of it´s backside for adaption works 

I hope my remarks will  help to improve your otherwise perfect and impressive bodywork . ATB , your friend Hannes

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hannes said:

old hawkeyes can help to improve just one not completely correct line 

You are indeed, most correct , Sir. Thank you for pointing it out. 

After all the thousands of hours, staring at the pics...how the heck did I  not notice????:doh: 

Not to worry, though... I'll just make a new front section because it will be quicker and easier than messing about trying to correct it. I could use the old one (practice-piece???) for the 451 scuttle....:hmmm:

Cheers, H

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps.

Time again for another update, methinks.

The fuel tank needed to go on a diet, so, after the removal of the upper skin, I cut away the majority of the (filler) core...just leaving the arched section covered to act as a kind of heat sink for later soldering duties.

After a bit of file work to re-profile the rear end, it was time to bash some steel. To be correct...0,3mm tin-plate steel. Although, after several rounds of HOT forging, then filing/sanding etc, I would be very surprised if any plate still remained.

After a lot of fun, I present a sleeker tank...

48527109526_f2f660746e_h.jpg

I was a bit unhappy with the pipe connections underneath and wanted to create a bit of a well, so the search was on for a suitable jig and some sort of punch.

I quickly found an old slotted angle bracket that was perfect for my needs. Sat right next to it was a masonry nail that had my name written all over it (well, through it, really) as the punch.

48527804286_2fbaeddfeb_h.jpg

48527110126_95c1565cbf_h.jpg

48527110571_990667840f_h.jpg

48527110971_7847d480ac_h.jpg

A bit more banding added...

48527111601_d9af510e67_h.jpg

48527111756_90cc9483d1_h.jpg

48527265142_5b885eb4c5_h.jpg

I think it looks like a piece of medieval armour....:D

More soon, lads.

Cheers, H

• Like 5