Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Harvey, I’m late to this totally enjoyable party, but after taking the time to read through all 22 pages of your WIP, I must say that I am totally speechless about what you are creating here.

The level of detail you put in all parts is unbelievable. 

You are truly creating a master piece.

You make it seem all so very easy but the way you create all the parts must ask for enormous amounts of time, patience and perseverance. And all that preceded by a lot of thought on how to tackle the fabrication of the next part.

Hat off for you:clap::thumbsup:

Now, please do continue with our next lessons!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your compliments @Pouln and welcome to the madness.

13 hours ago, Pouln said:

enormous amounts of time, patience and perseverance

…...and a big dollop of insanity thrown in for good measure often helps...:D

I look forward to the return of your wonderful Alfa, too.

Cheers, H

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon, chaps.

I think it's time for an update on proceedings.

I had been itching to get started on the wheels, so, upon the arrival of a 15mm ali round bar, I eagerly mounted it in my new toy lathe and had playtime...:D

It didn't take too long to gain confidence and perfect my technique, so happily started turning the wheel hubs. In the interests of keeping them as matching as possible, I turned them as a single piece, rather than singly.

After separating a pair, they were bored and counterbored to receive the stub-axles ( 4mm tube and M3 letterbox bolts)

47686786471_c0750de627_h.jpg

32743650247_224f0a0ca1_h.jpg

46770770845_1be73f5b43_h.jpg

47686793111_a962b0eac8_h.jpg

Two down, two to go...…

40 and 42mm ali tube has arrived for rims and a slab of black milliput for a tyre blank has set, too...

46770768885_244ad15164_h.jpg

Happy days!!!!!

Thanks for following.

Cheers, H

• Like 8

A very pleasant toy isn't?

But be careful with wells hubs and aluminum... I don't know the diameter

of your spokes, around 0.5mm I suppose, and of course 0.6mm drill...

And in aluminum, it's a real nightmare!

First you have to manage the exit of your drill, a pic is better than explanation:

190424053557164456.jpg

Very good job so far! First time on a lathe, really? Bravo!

Dan

• Like 2

Thank you Dan.

2 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

First time on a lathe, really?

Yes, my friend. A very pleasing toy indeed. I found it most relaxing, therapeutic and hypnotic.

2 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

I don't know the diameter

of your spokes, around 0.5mm I suppose,

I've gone with 0,4, as I think 0,5 would look out of scale...especially after paint, tbh.

Thanks for the tip, btw, I understand your meaning.

Cheers, H

A great start in the lathe universe ! I guess the wheels will be the most pretentious parts of the model and you show us a lot of courage !

Very well done , I´m fascinated , dear Harvey !  All the best , Hannes

• Thanks 1

Thank you, dear Hannes.

The wheels, by their very nature, are a stand-out feature of any car of this era, so attempting to make them is a scary, but exciting prospect...especially as this is my first ever attempt at wire wheels and tyres :yikes:.

Hmm!! I have a feeling that this may take some time...…:lol:

Cheers, H

• Like 2

Looking really great, Harvey. Well done, especially it being your first time. 

Very small piece of advice might be to drill the axle bores before you separate the hubs from the round bar. Saves you the trouble of finding the center etc. I’m assuming you have a drill chuck that can be put on the moving head of the lathe. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Jeroen.

Thank you for asking. How coincidental...I was hoping to give you all an update today, anyway.

Frankly, things ain't been going so well.

Firstly, my cheapo Chinese lathe died....well, actually, I killed it, so that puts the wheels on hold until I can afford a proper lathe. As you can imagine, this  put a slight damper on my motivation.

Then, just to add to my woes, my landlord informed me that my home is unsafe and I have to vacate....:shrug:

In-between the house-hunting and stress, I have still managed to make some progress, so "every cloud...…"  I suppose:D. More later, chaps...

Cheers, H

• Like 1

Oh my... well, killing a lathe, while inconvenient, is not the worst thing that could happen, but having to vacate your house is quite another! I wish you all the best in hunting for a new place and hope you find something soon. 

• Thanks 1

We are both house-hunters now , dear Harvey ! My first attempt did fail and I hope I will find another one soon .It´s 700 miles away from home...

I hope you will reach a new haven as well and I want to wish you all the best ! I keep my fingers crossed !   Hannes

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your best wishes, chaps.

No news on the home-front, yet, but I have a long-overdue update to share with you all.

The rear drum brakes. While not the nicely turned drums that I had envisaged, they are laminated from nickel disks and washers, with m0,8 hardware securing everything. I haven't made the control arms yet, as these are likely to get damaged in the coachwork process. Only 1 spinner made, so far....

48126351452_a51838c97c_h.jpg

48126263261_d7437fdc9c_h.jpg

48126263501_b6ab2b6622_h.jpg

48126294498_bc33e0545d_h.jpg

48126352637_4051efa9a8_h.jpg

Then, for a change of scenery, I made a start on the 'shell.

Using 0,3 ali sheet, I rolled it to the narrowest point, then, after annealing, it was a relatively easy task to introduce the curvature with a ball-peen hammer and a wooden file handle.

48126295123_ada365663f_h.jpg

48126264801_104e98cb2d_h.jpg

48126264551_a4b1d23297_h.jpg

So, as you can see, things are definitely progressing and  hopefully the next update won't be too far away.

Thanks for watching, chaps.

Cheers, H

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, harveyb258 said:

Thank you for your best wishes, chaps.

No news on the home-front, yet, but I have a long-overdue update to share with you all.

The rear drum brakes. While not the nicely turned drums that I had envisaged, they are laminated from nickel disks and washers, with m0,8 hardware securing everything. I haven't made the control arms yet, as these are likely to get damaged in the coachwork process. Only 1 spinner made, so far....

Harvey, you have my un-dying respect and admiration for your ability to take common materials and tools and make an accurate replica become art.

Brilliant and beautiful...........:worthy:

C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great precision work , dear Harvey !  I really like the very convincing brake drums . Regarding the central fasteners : In my opinion there´s no step between the central part and the wings . It´s easy to fix because they should become a bit thinner anyway imho . The ends of the axle should not stick out but I think you already know that  and you will reduce the lenght later on .

Our common search for a new home seems to take some time but I´m optimistic that both of us will reach our goals in the next months .

All the best !  Hannes

• Thanks 1

Many thanks, chaps. I'm glad you continue to enjoy this journey.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:22 PM, Hannes said:

Regarding the central fasteners

Yes, my friend, you are correct... it needs reducing by 0,5mm, to be exact and the slight step is only as a reference point for the file work. The hubs also need reducing in length by 2mm...but all in good time.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:22 PM, Hannes said:

Our common search for a new home seems to take some time

It does, indeed, dear Hannes. I find it the most soul-destroying experience, but, like you, I'm optimistic for the future.

Thank the Gods that I have my hobby to keep me sane (ish):lol:

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:26 PM, Schwarz-Brot said:

One of the things I'll have to learn sometime soon.

It's great fun...

Cheers, H

• Like 1

Congrats, dear Harvey, amazing, as always!

For my part, I didn't find up to now time and motivation to go back to my workbench. I have been very focused by the new car I bought, a Tesla Model 3, great electric car.

It is sure that the disappointment to see that my 3D printer is unable to give me convincing air deflectors, and the challenge the rear seat will be, didn't help too. Pity, I don't have your skill... 

You should come and live here, at St Raphaël, it's a lovely place and you could give me a hand... 😁

Well, seriously, I hope it will be for soon. It would be a pity to have done so many efforts and not to go all the way.

In the meantime, I will go on watching your incredible build...

Cheers 😉

Olivier

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Olivier de St RaphWhy not go with the old "and now, for something completely different"? You know, get a nice kit for a quick build, and build it OOB with a little twist, maybe a goofy paint job or whatever... To get the blood flowing again! The sense of accomplishment you get from finishing a kit might do you good. 

• Like 1