Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

I was spending the last days in a hospital and now I `m almost  recovered fortunately . Therefore my compliments come a bit late but they come from my heart . Great , realistic work ! One small suggestion : The tube shaped valve of the radiator cap needs to get covered by a small brass rivet (Knupfer f.i. ) imho .

Very well done , dear Harvey !   Hannes

• Thanks 1

Thank you, dear Hannes. 

Sorry to read of your illness and I wish you a speedy recovery, my friend.

18 hours ago, Hannes said:

he tube shaped valve of the radiator cap needs to get covered by a small brass rivet

Well spotted.....how the hell did I miss that?????:lol:

Cheers, H

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon, chaps.

I'm pleased to say that the rad assembly is now done and bolted firmly in place, along with the Hartfords (finally). Everything lines up beautifully...PHHEWW!:yahoo:

32129515497_ec8783c65e_z.jpg

40106290443_8459d66ec9_h.jpg

40106291013_9c7edc74ed_h.jpg

40106292523_8e5e72e936_h.jpg

40106293193_b66e429797_h.jpg

40106293793_9e7e0cb358_z.jpg

40106298013_35857c47a9_h.jpg

40106298833_d845c10264_h.jpg

40106299683_1e73fcfd6e_h.jpg

47071034511_e39ad810ee_h.jpg

Now that that is done, updates should hopefully be more frequent.

Next up, the front axle.

Thanks for watching, guys.

Cheers, H

• Like 7

H, your work is truly inspiring mate. I love the quality of your work, absolutely outstanding. I'm looking at this and wondering how on earth you made some of these things, mind has been boggled. 

• Thanks 1

A staggering presentation of realism Harvey. Your entire build philosophy is now apparent - and wonderful. The grayscale shots certainly enhance the illusion.

It's becoming impossible to wait for further mock-ups with wheels and drivetrain. Please work every waking moment to get there - for us.  :whip::smartass:

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, harveyb258 said:

Many thanks TG. I'm glad you like it!!

Me too...:lol:

Feel free to call me Tom mate! I had a nice read though the build log and I actually think your construction method for the rear differential will work very well for mine! Just a quick question, do you use any templates for the parts you make or do you just draw them straight on the metal? What is you preferred method? Ye olde eyeball?

Read something about a small heart related scare, hope you are doing well again now my friend! 

• Like 1

The evidence suggests you don't need much help (Lol) but, in the really unlikely event that you are scratching your head about something I may have covered, let me know. Not holding my breath though.

Still loving to see the beast emerge.

ATB

Nick

• Like 1

Luca di Montezemolo with all his money was not able to recreate this car .But you are on a very good way to do just that . Great modelling art !

I´m going to continue as well in the next time . My recovery continues ( always lost the eyesight on my right eye ) and it will still take some months till I ´m able to leave Germany . All the best , dear Harvey !   Hannes

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Thank you all, so much, chaps!!

17 hours ago, TGA said:

, do you use any templates for the parts you make or do you just draw them straight on the metal? What is you preferred method? Ye olde eyeball?

I  just scribe straight on the metal and go for it, as a rule, Tom. However, if there are multiple pieces of same shape and/or hole configuration, then the 1st piece does act as a template, I suppose. Each and every single piece in this puzzle will present it's own unique challenges....each requiring a slightly different approach, so basically,  I'm"flying by the seat of my pants" with a good eyeballing thrown in for good measure.:D

15 hours ago, NickD said:

Still loving to see the beast emerge.

Thanks mate. Now that the nose is on, she's beginning to form the shape and structure we all know so well....I'm having a blast!!!

14 hours ago, Hannes said:

Great modelling art !

Thank you, sir.

I'm pleased your recovery continues and I look forward to your continuation.

19 hours ago, Codger said:

A staggering presentation of realism Harvey.

Wow! That is the best compliment I could ever wish for. That means a lot to me, Chas, thank you.

19 hours ago, Codger said:

It's becoming impossible to wait for further mock-ups with wheels and drivetrain. Please work every waking moment to get there - for us.  :whip::smartass:

Have patience, OH WISE MASTER!!:D Don't worry, you won't have long to wait, now. I'm very keen to get the wheel and tyre fabrication underway, as well.

Cheers, H

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My dear Harvey, there's no more word to congratulate you, after all those dithyrambic comments you received from all our friends.

For my part, I would just like to add that, facing the incredible work you've already done with this build, everybody  - more, all of us - should have to stay very humble with his own skills.

You have reached, not only the top museum quality and excellence, but the most and unequalled artistic level !

Your work is definitely for us an inexhaustible source of inspiration and will keep the status of a standard reference for those who want to build everything in scale car modelling.

My hat's off, Sir

Very modestly, CC

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for your kind compliments, my friend.

17 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

is definitely for us an inexhaustible source of inspiration

You guys have been my inspiration for years, so it's a total pleasure and an honour to share my work with you all!!!

Ok, on that note then....the birth of an axle...

I  used 2, 3 and 4mm  tube to make a solid rod and heated to cherry-red with the torch.

The initial u-shape at the bottom was formed around the radiator buck, then transferred to a crude jig to form the arms...

46178861335_0057d6942f_h.jpg

...then refined and tweaked with hi-tech tools. Oh...and a hammer...:D

32150727987_f2c0a51bc8_h.jpg

32150728497_5e42642353_h.jpg

32150729467_4dc0690c83_h.jpg

….to be continued...

Cheers, H

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The first correct shaped 806 frontal  axle since 91 years ! And this unusual form caused all the trouble regarding  the jumping left front wheel !

A historical moment ,even it´s on a smaller scale . Congrats !   Hannes

• Like 2

What I love about your work is again evident here. No fancy devices, machine tools or anything from the MicroMark catalog - largely blacksmith tools of your own fashioning. I mean this as a compliment - because, for example, I fashioned my RR luggage rack much the same as this axle; brass tube bent by tapping (in my case) around a plywood form with screws holding perimeter tension. I think a vise has been the most sophisticated tool you've used - oh and maybe a soldering iron.

This is further evidence of the craftsmanship and artistic methods I've raved about here.

Carry on Harvey !:cheers:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, Codger said:

This is further evidence of the craftsmanship and artistic methods I've raved about here.

Carry on Harvey !:cheers:

Thank you once again, kind Sir. 

Then I shall continue...:D

After many, many hours of trying to figure out the various mounting points ( the brake pulley wheel attachment point causing the majority of the head-scratching), here is my interpretation of the front axle from the blueprints.

47297520471_eac5fd56f7_z.jpg

46574430824_3f48977dae_h.jpg

33421813338_c6751bc84d_h.jpg

47245280522_432eab2581_h.jpg

33421830898_e916252b8c_h.jpg

33421831078_2d8ff8e0b2_h.jpg

33421832798_5f27d97a5b_h.jpg

33421833398_00df83df9c_h.jpg

33421833538_38d1d383c6_h.jpg

40332966213_8c0fea82ac_h.jpg

That's all for now folks!!

Next up... pulleys and axle attachment.

Thanks for watching, guys!

Cheers, H

• Like 6

A very convincing reconstruction ! Massimino´s scetch could possibly help to check  the exact dimensions .

I´m back from my trip to Hungary and already found a suited house where I will continue with my own construction .

Great work , dear Harvey !   Hannes

• Thanks 1