Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Your build, @harveyb258, has reached the top museum quality, and this work is very instructive and stimulating for all of us, mere mortals....my jaws drop  on the floor each time I look at your thread....Many congrats and "Chapeau bas" :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my friends.

Once again, I'm blown away by all your kind compliments and likes. Thank you guys, I doff my cap to you!:D

Finally, the rad assembly is complete...YAYYYYY!!!:yahoo:

I can truthfully say that THAT was the most difficult thing I've EVER attempted....such an awkward shape to hold and work on. I'm glad it's over.

Stage 1- After attaching some fixing points to the rad casing, it was then bolted in place.

Stage 2- Flat rivets. After 2 very unconvincing attempts at my rivet technique, the decision was taken to stop messing about and do proper rivets instead. "In for a penny, in for a pound", as they say!

Stage 3-  Before I could rivet, I had to add coachwork stiffening (especially for the "wings") and of course the bonnet support. These were glued with Gorilla super glue gel. After a few hours, I drilled through with a 0,6 bit.

Stage 4-  Rivetting. I found some whitemetal rivets from MFH in the stash that were perfect for the job....0,7 head and 0,5 shaft (actually ,55).

Insert rivet from inside and remove excess, but leave about ,5mm proud. Then, using a pair of tweezers, gently squeeze. The whitemetal, being relatively soft, is peined without the risk of damaging the  

coachwork. Then file/sand any remaining excess....and repeat.

Stage 5-  The bonnet support rubbers were next. Using shrink-tube, I sliced in half and glued in place, cutting off the excess when dry. The curvature of the rubber meant that it only stuck where it touched, giving a nice,

soft cushion. Perfect, just what I wanted for a nice and flush bonnet line.

The hinge keep is 0,8 nickel tube and 0,3 tin, soldered to the support.

Finally-  The radiator cap. I turned this on the Dremel from Milliput black using a Stanley blade. The edge scalloping was done with a round needle file. A 0,8 blackened tube completes the piece.

I then gave the insides a good dirtying.

33040828298_d658df6e8b_h.jpg

39951341513_a1d77b960b_h.jpg

39951341903_fe4bf5e943_h.jpg

39951342333_ca7c547a1f_h.jpg

39951342793_d15237036e_h.jpg

39951343713_fc03ff459b_h.jpg

39951344533_42ce8f276f_h.jpg

39951345203_2987a49447_h.jpg

That's all for now, folks!!!

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 8

Harvey,

I'm finding it difficult to find things to say that everyone else has not already said. Therefore, for what it's worth...

After all the research, debate and imagination of the last few years, it is fascinating to see a very real example of the 806 emerging. We can finally see it from angles not covered by our well thumbed drawings and pictures.  I keep finding myself thinking "Of course that's how it works or how it looks". In actual fact, of course, it is nothing like as obvious or self-explanatory that things should be as you have built them. It must take considerable thought on your part reading between the lines that others such as myself have done little more than sketch.

Bravo - updates are a rare treat for all of us. Keep it up.

Regards

Nick

• Like 3

What the others said!

Thank you for providing me with a solution to the problem 'how to rivet' that I was thinking of the other week! It seems I don't even have to post these questions anymore, the answers are right here in all these wonderful build threads.

• Like 2

Just wanted to say as others have already, this is really great work. The attention to detail is astounding.

Keep it going. Looking forward as things progress.

Cheers,

Stu

1 hour ago, Stu238 said:

Just wanted to say as others have already, this is really great work. The attention to detail is astounding.

Attention is one element - the other is his execution of scratchbuilt parts - which is everything here....

• Like 3

Every time i visit your WIP i feel am landing on some other planet, another world... what a delight ... all from the comfort of my screen...

all my friends here said it, however i would like to add that i feel your ingenuity is just at an incredible level, your approach to solving issues, i mean the shrink tubes cut in half and resulting in this incredible realistic rubber joint thickness, colour, texture !   then the flat rivet technique :worthy:... then how you turned the cap without a lathe...  🙀

Each post is a masterclass filled with learning points on so many levels. 

This grille hammered by your brain and hands to this final super realistic shape !!?? 

i secretly pray that you will not paint this art piece 🙊  are you going to ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, sharknose156 said:

Every time i visit your WIP i feel am landing on some other planet, another world... what a delight ... all from the comfort of my screen...

Don't get too comfortable. I fully expect we will soon see a superb Mephistophele arise from YOUR workbench. :devil::whip:

• Haha 3

Many, many thanks guys.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, JeroenS said:

that's just insane sir!

What IS insane is the parts count.....149 separate pieces in the rad assembly!!! …..I dread to think what the final count will be:lol:.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:22 PM, Codger said:

I can smell the hot coolant and castor oil.... I can see a dimly-lit ramshackle garage, with stains on the floor...

You smell it too??? I'm glad you share my vision, sir.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:08 PM, NickD said:

It must take considerable thought on your part

Indeed it does Nick. I can often spend all day looking at a pic and turning the piece in my hand...studying it. That's why progress can be a little slow at times...60% thinking and 40% execution, I suppose.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:11 PM, Roy vd M. said:

Thank you for providing me with a solution to the problem 'how to rivet'

It's a pleasure to be of service, Roy.

12 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

i secretly pray that you will not paint this art piece 🙊  are you going to ?

Paint?.... PAINT????? How very dare you Sir:lol:

Absolutely not, Sam. My intention from the start was to recreate the unpainted test car...warts n' all. I feel it would be an injustice to the story of it's troubled conception and it's brief history, to portray this car in any other way. An immaculately finished, gleaming showroom car looks incredible, but it doesn't tell the story quite like the hot, sweaty, violent beast she really was!!

12 hours ago, Codger said:

I fully expect we will soon see a superb Mephistophele arise from YOUR workbench. :devil::whip:

I really look forward to the resumption of the Mef….Fantastic!!

Cheers, H

• Like 2

And slowly but surely, this topic is filling up with followers, commentators, fans. 

It was only 10 months ago, 16 march 2018, that per PM to Harvey I expressed my astonishment that this then 7-month old topic only had 4 registered followers and very few replies. The level of detail and craftsmanship wasn't exactly meagre already at that point: 

26952394198_22c426c682_h.jpg&key=eb2164c 

Looking back I think that, at the time, the members of this forum (vehicles section) didn't realise what modelling jewellery was truly being created. Perhaps some members thought, too, that this topic was going to be an extension of the extremely elaborate Fiat 806 research-thread that used to top the 'recent updates'-list almost each day, undoubtedly an (understandable!) annoyance to many forum members who weren't really interested in the car or the topic. 

Harvey has shown that this topic is no such thing as an extension to anything but his own great mind. Now with a respectable number of 15 interested followers and an increasing amount of praise, this build report, its subject and its creator are finally getting the credit they deserve. I'm sure more interested forum member will join and follow along toward your finalisation of this incredible project. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Many, many thanks guys.What IS insane is the parts count.....149 separate pieces in the rad assembly!!! …..I dread to think what the final count will be:lol:.

Paint?.... PAINT????? How very dare you Sir:lol:

Absolutely not, Sam.

I got the Rolls up to over 2900 (but you hand-made all of yours!) and over 2400 HOURS.  :confused:

Very glad to hear no paint....:)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Did you count every nut, bolt and washer as separate parts,  or as a set per unit???

Not the bolts/nuts and (a few) screws. Not the parts  (12) of the luggage rack.  But clevises, engine linkages, hoses, seats, leathers, cabin trim, top covering, doors, window frames - and more -  I made or added from MMC or Cox PLUS the kit's standard 2199 parts.

Are you keeping a log of actual worked hours Harvey?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Absolutely not, Sam. My intention from the start was to recreate the unpainted test car...warts n' all.

That's great 🎶. Indeed i seem to remember a short discussion about this long ago when you started. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harveyb258 said:
2 hours ago, Codger said:

Are you keeping a log of actual worked hours Harvey?

Sadly, no!

Well, let's see.... I've been  working on it for 18mnths. So, at a guess, if we say 365 days at 5hrs a day, to take into account rest days, illness and waiting for supplies etc......1825hrs as of now. In actuality, it may be nearer 2000, but it's hard to say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harveyb258 said:

Well, let's see.... I've been  working on it for 18mnths. So, at a guess, if we say 365 days at 5hrs a day, to take into account rest days, illness and waiting for supplies etc......1825hrs as of now. In actuality, it may be nearer 2000, but it's hard to say.

A very fair estimate. I went 2479 hours over 38 months. That included hospital stays (twice for me and three for Mrs), recuperation time and elder care for my mom.

I will say it was therapeutic returning to the bench each time and amazingly, the planning went on throughout. Proves modellers are...:mental:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Codger said:

the planning went on throughout. Proves modellers are...:mental:

I couldn't agree more, Chas. It's a special class of insanity called dedication. Dedication to achieving the very best of one's abilities.

I'm glad I'm nuts!:D

• Like 1