Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

H,

Grill and plate being one assembly - agree. I think the only bit we disagree on was whether the rods of the grill attach to the plate or to a wire round the outside that the plate is formed around. I await your drawing with interest.

Stone guard - hadn't really thought about it (as you can see it is missing from the list I gave above). The numbers are on the radiator as far as I can tell. The above picture does seem to show a mesh but it is difficult to see where it sits. Looking at the bottom two rungs of the grill, there appears to be no mesh. To me that suggests it sits further back. This may sound like I have a fixed position but truly I don't. It would make a lot of sense having the stoneguard attached to the grill.

Regards

Nick

• Like 2

Dear Harvey , dear Olivier , in the middle ages  the clerics and the scholars never claimed that the earth was flat .Some believed that nonsense , some did not but it was never a clerical dogma .The story you mentioned  was invented in the 19.th century when enlightment and industralisation were coming up just to show how advanced society was at that time contrary to the dark middle ages . Today we know that the earth is a rotating elipsoid in a space-time dimension  and not just a globe .

The investigating kind of modeling reflects the various facets of truth and leads towards a better understanding of reality .I will join again  as soon as possible .

And I really admire your work , dear Harvey and yours , dear Olivier as well !   Hannes

• Thanks 2

Harvey, I take some time to tell you how your work on this model let me speechless.

To my eyes your skills on metalworking are awesome and pieces so realistic!

If you put your pics in black an white, you can see for sure the real car ninety years ago... I do love that!
Hats off Sir,
Dan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

If you put your pics in black an white, you can see for sure the real car ninety years ago... I do love that!

Dear Dan and Harvey,

Thats what i actually do with some of your pics.

I think both of you - and Codger with a very difficult Pocher base - are part of the absolutely most skilled scale modellers out there.

Pity Codger is not posting a dedicated build of his own hands and brains right now.

Pascal has also an incredibly precise touch in transforming white metal to such a realistic scaled down Formula 1 monster with all its beauty and nervosity, whose jewel-like engine you can almost hear firing and roaring any second and almost smell the smoking spinning tires and burning oils. 

It must be underlined that you achieve incredible realism  - realism compared to the real car, not realism to just any 1 : 1 rolling vehicle -  and your accuracy is achieved without software.

You just do magic. 

What can I say ? what else is there to say ? 

it is such a treat to see you in action, providing fabulous lessons in shaping metal, in design, in creativity, in wood work, in leather, in problem solving etc. etc. such a long list of skills. 

Thierry CC has also spectacularly fast paced towards your far away planet.

His incredible talent has exploded i believe with your inspiration and examples of what can be achieved. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sharknose156 said:

I think both of you - and Codger with a very difficult Pocher base - are part of the absolutely most skilled scale modellers out there.

Pity Codger is not posting a dedicated build of his own hands and brains right now.

I must protest my friend. My name does not belong in a discussion of the work of these (and many others including Roy V and Hendie) men here. And NO, this is not modesty speaking.

Their work - from scratch - is simply a galaxy away from a few modifications of my Pocher. Our friends Endeavor and Thierry's Pocher work is also at a much higher plane of skill and ambitiousness than mine.

Certainly this is not a contest of skills. But these men have raised the bar to a level such that starting and driving their creations is the only plateau remaining.

I am fortunate to be an avid audience member to so many splendid displays of talent.

Carry on !

• Like 1

Indeed Endeavor is right there with you all ... apologies.

Unfortunately I was only able to observe Roy V very briefly. He has fantastic execution and creativity indeed, but his technical approach is not similar to Dan's or Harvey's. Roy would make the pieces from ingenuously transforming any suitable material piece into a car part, from material he would have saved along for future builds. Kudoos indeed. Whereas Dan and Harvey just create them. As does Thierry now. As you did...( except when you took your ladies' leather gloves for your seats i think ;)

i do not know Hendie at all, my loss it seems.

There are many really Excellent builders on this forum. I mean truly excellent. But the very small group am referring to here, is above.

I feel truly honoured to be mentioned in the same class as these highly talented craftsmen....and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

The working of different metals is a relatively new skillset for me (rather than wood).  Being self-taught (trial and error method:D), it has been quite a steep learning-curve and will no doubt continue that way for some time to come....I, for one am thoroughly enjoying the metallurgical journey to enlightenment.

Cheers guys, H

• Like 4

Good afternoon everyone.

After stupidly ordering the wrong sized nickel rods (0,2 rather than 0,3mm), I await the arrival of the correct ones (hopefully tomorrow??????????) before I can commence with the grille. Sorry.

Not to be idle, I started fabricating the radiator casing from 0,3 brass...

46161124541_af03c26d5d_h.jpg

46161124981_13243db1d2_h.jpg

Next, the core.

After a bit of research, the copper honeycomb core seemed to be common-place in the 20's, so that was my aim.

Check these out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsrvQqwZJPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJMN_aynao

If I was building this at 1/8 scale, you just know that I'd have to stamp each piece, don't you???:D

Knowing my limitations, though, I adopted this far simpler method...

Eduard hexagonal mesh-

44343939240_a01e693991_h.jpg

Cut to shape and treated with diluted AK burnishing fluid-

32289497508_233cd33e8b_h.jpg

To complete the look that I'm after, I then needed copper backing-plates....no copper left, oops!

So, not to be beaten, I tried a little experiment. 

Brass, being an alloy of copper and zinc (copper being highest %), gets some nice coppery/orangey hues with the application of heat. Even more so with the introduction of flux.

Taking my brass, I smeared it in flux, then gently and evenly with lowish flame so as not to burn the flux, I heated.....and hey presto!

32289499298_d7685ec82c_h.jpg

45248496725_81b11057e5_h.jpg

45248494235_77db68ada8_h.jpg

That's all for now, folks!

Hope you enjoy and thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, harveyb258 said:

If I was building this at 1/8 scale, you just know that I'd have to stamp each piece, don't you???

We're fully aware of that :D  

I do love seeing that crank hole off-centered. It reminds me again of that joint achievement of knowledge-improvements regarding this car. 

• Like 4

Excellent work again , dear Harvey !  Only the honeycomb structure doesn´t seem to fit . In my opinion the lamella ribs were quadrangular as we can see on several photos .Maybe a similar pe mesh is available ?

Like Roy I have to care about a lot of important things outside of modelling right now .I look forward to the day when I ´ll have the time to focus on my own version again .In the meantime it´s a great pleasure to watch your  work !

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Thanks 1

It was definitely a honeycomb type structure. I read an article online the other day in which it briefly mentioned that Fiat used them in successful 20's. I can't seem to find it again, this morning, otherwise I would post a link. But I did find this....  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Vintage-Circa-1920-Fiat-Car-Radiator-Grille-Art-Display-stand-Heater/283268553910?hash=item41f41f1cb6:g:BFUAAOSwXfVa2zFc:rk:6:pf:0

I think the squares you mention are a stone-guard mesh attached to the rear of the grille, tbh.

Cheers, H

Edited by harveyb258
Forgot summat!
  • Like 1

Sorry , not convinced , dear Harvey . This topic was already discussed somewhere in our threads . The honeycomb structure was used from the beginning of the 20.th century till the early / mid-20 ´s . In 1927 these kind of lamellas were already old-fashioned and almost all new racing cars ( exception : Bugatti ) showed quadrangular structures .They are more effective and also easier to manufacture . Especially for our car with thermical problems this was a must !

Just have a look at the" history of radiator systems "pages at google !   Many greetings  !   Hannes

• Like 1

On 03/12/2018 at 16:39, harveyb258 said:

After stupidly ordering the wrong sized nickel rods (0,2 rather than 0,3mm), I await the arrival of the correct ones

My dear Harvey,

great work as usual. 

Personally, I had used, if I remember right, 0,4 mm for the grille rods. But the truth is probably between 0,3 and 0,4... Anyway, I am sure your grille will look better than mine... I will follow with interest the technique you will use for this new challenge, considering the grille was not flat.

All the best my friend 

Olivier

• Like 1

Good morning all.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, Hannes said:

quadrangular structures

You are of course, correct, dear Hannes. Upon realising my mistake, I immediately ordered the appropriate PE, although I'm still awaiting its delivery due to the Christmas busy period.

The correct nickel rods HAD arrived, though, so I got on with the grille.

Firstly, the two uprights. These were a complete nightmare tbh. You would think that having a mini bench drill and an adjustable milling table would make this a relatively simple task........no, think again. It's only a cheap table (£35ish) and has the accuracy of an elastic tape-measure.:lol:  

Some time later, I had a pair of 2 x 0,5 straight nickel strips, drilled along the centres.

To form the bends, I pinned the 2 pieces together at the bend area to hopefully retain structural integrity. Then, holding with pliers, I annealed the ends to glowing red and while still hot, I was able to quite easily tap to shape over a piece of wood with a pin hammer. That's always fun!!

After some file-work and a retaining wire, it starts to come together...

46322959741_34bcda288d_h.jpg

And with rods...

31384083367_3b1194f8eb_h.jpg

Faceplate drilled and slotted...

31384084587_a337a61bc2_h.jpg

After soldering the uprights in place, I quickly set about annealing and radiusing the rods. because, although flexible,  their inherent tensility would curl the faceplate like a leaf. 

45410491145_1605d68901_h.jpg

Nearly there...

45410492915_15e03bed94_h.jpg

45410493875_3fa4b9fe1e_h.jpg

45410495905_142d4414a1_h.jpg

45410497015_803ff885b0_h.jpg

...and done(ish)….

45410503385_f27293e5bc_h.jpg

The last few rows will be done again, I just need to slightly adjust the crank hole piece.

Well, that's all for now, folks!

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, H

The p/e has just turned up!

• Like 5

Many thanks, chaps.

Season's Greetings to you all!!

14 hours ago, NickD said:

The rods look like a quick route to insanity.

Especially when it comes to soldering them all......this has a high probability of incurable insanity:lol:

Cheers, H

• Like 1