Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

I want to cheer you up a bit , dear Harvey , that´s why I post this photo of my " Willy the walking car " It´s a rare battery-operated Japanese tin toy from the late 50´s and there´s a funny story behind . 

Some weeks ago I bought a very rusty version of this toy on a flea-market for 15 euros . It was complete and working but with wrong wheelcaps as I had to learn later .

I was looking at the internet and found a toy-dealer in New York who was selling this toy for 50 dollars but without driver´s head and a damaged remote control . I ordered it and exchanged the parts and now I have an almost brand-new toy .

Willy is 60 years old  now but in a very good condition and even the car walks very slow he´s been living on three continents already ( Asia , America and Europe )

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Beautiful job Harvey! Could you elaborate a bit on your rivet application method?

Thank you, Roy. Yes, of course, I will get on it this weekend. I'm terrible at taking pics of each step...I get so involved with the job at hand, that I forget!:lol:

16 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

, me too, I'm having a ball with my Mustang...😊

I can tell!!!

16 minutes ago, Hannes said:

I want to cheer you up a bit

You did, my friend...my drink of tea came out of my nose!!:lol:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon chaps!

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, harveyb258 said:

Could you elaborate a bit on your rivet application method?

Here we go then....

First off... the required tools:

Black marker pen - I always use black or blue when marking out with metal, your eyes will thank you for it, too.

A steel ruler.

A metal tube/rod.

Finally, an engineers scriber ( 2 for a fiver on flea-bay). Please excuse the surgical tape, it's not poorly, it just helps to get a good grip on the thing!:D

Oh, and not forgetting...the cutting mat!

27642180777_73d8dfa6c1_h.jpg

41610594155_e2a50b4638_h.jpg

I then gently scribe the lines and mark each hole...

41610594815_8f0b8845be_h.jpg

Then, with greater even pressure and ensuring the scriber is perfectly vertical (otherwise, you won't have round rivets), you "press"  each rivet into the aluminium....

41610595495_7aa632490e_h.jpg

41610596345_a1184c50fd_h.jpg

To create flat rivets, simply roll them flat with your tube, or desired implement. Even on 0,3mm ally, though, the rivets are remarkably robust and take quite a lot of pressure to get them to comply.

Then, after a good fettle with a brass brush, I think they look very convincing.

41610597095_27912aec0f_h.jpg

41610602435_0dd5402b89_h.jpg

41610604155_ef6e80a263_h.jpg

I hope that helps.

Okay then, time for an update.

2 steps forward, but unfortunately, 2 steps back as well. First, the bad news....I'm going to have to re-make the rear springs and their shackles. It appears that the burnishing fluid, used on the springs, is still working, despite having been very thoroughly rinsed and allowed to completely air dry!??????? I don't understand it!!

27642198627_22962ed4fe_h.jpg

41610644425_307f8834c0_h.jpg

Now, the good bit!!:D

The rear bulkhead/ fuel tank support is now complete (apart from a spot of weathering) and firmly bolted in place....

41610605395_3654157765_h.jpg

27642197697_ea480b9081_h.jpg

41610645085_5ff9894f29_h.jpg

41610645685_a09e5dd688_h.jpg

With that in place, I made a start on the fuel tank. For this, I am using 0,3mm tin-plate steel sheet.

28639541968_ce65ed62e9_h.jpg

Front mount soldered in place...

28639543778_d1ca52319c_h.jpg

… and rears....

28639542398_ba2d472091_h.jpg

28639542818_71838e5889_h.jpg

…. then a dry-fit to check the lay of the land...

42461046022_9b3e8d6782_h.jpg

28639544118_736c506f27_h.jpg

Well, that's all for now, folks!!

Thanks for watching, more soon!

Cheers, H

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A great tuto , dear Harvey ! I used this method for the hinges blades of the Mef . In this case the sheet originated from a candle bowl and I used a hard piece of wood  as the base plate . This  candle sheet is very useful for a lot of purposes because it´s very thin and flexible .

Too bad what happened to your suspension parts ! Maybe a rust transformer could save some substance ?

Regarding your tank : It´s a pity that we cannot see these beautiful parts later on . But it´s a good feeling to know they exist ! If I decide to establish a wall like you did I would be tempted to build no tank at all ! I guess that´s sculptor´s philosophy and I know  it should not be the foundation for modelling .😎

Great progress ! Don´t be angry because the rust , all these problems are solvable !   Hannes

• Like 2

Thank you dear Hannes.

I won't know the level of damage until I remove them. The springs may well be salvageable, as they don't look too bad, but the shackles are ruined and I know I can do better with the springs, so I will replace them anyway.:D

So, my project schedule is writing itself for me...

1- complete tank fabrication

2- make 3pr spring shackles

3- make 2pr springs (front and rear)

Then I can move to front axle, suspension, radiator and cowl!!!:yahoo:

Cheers, H

• Like 2

Harvey,

Bit slow to catch up so...

As the others have said, pleased to hear you are OK.

Good to see the progress, Building it certainly gives a good idea how it worked as a design.

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for your kind words, Nick.

14 hours ago, NickD said:

Building it certainly gives a good idea how it worked as a design.

It certainly does, mate. I'm really enjoying the engineering challenge of fabricating this beautiful slice of history.

Cheers, H

• Like 1

Wonderful work , dear Harvey ! I´m not sure if the original tank was ever completely  filled with gasoline .For the test runs and the short formula libre race over 50 km the additional tank on the left side should have been big enough . But we can see that there were higher ambitions with a tank for 170 litres of gasoline . The successor version´s tank  ( drawing 2 ) was probably supposed to be a bit bigger for an  average consumption of 35 litres on 100 km .A GP-run lasted 500 km at that time.

Great progress !  Hannes

• Like 1

Thank you, Hannes!

Personally, regarding the tanks, I think that the tank to the left of the driver will have been for engine oil, not fuel and the frontal tank will have probably been for clutch, gearbox and diff.

Just my humble opinion, of course....:D

Cheers, H

• Like 1

I agree regarding the frontal tank  . The tank left of the driver most likely was established after the announcement that no second driver was prescripted anymore for the´year 1927 ..I cannot imagine that the 426 engine was  designed with  a completely oversized  oil tank from the beginning . A big space problem !  A small oil radiator would have been a better solution !

In my opinion there was a gasoline tank on the left side for a better balance in short races The two-tube funnel allows a quick filling . The big cap was removed when the gasoline was filled in to control the amount of gasoline and to prevent enclosed air . The pump was operated to fill the carburetors . An oil supply would not need this kind of construction imho.

.Drawing 1 , which seems to be subsequent altered , still shows the original concept imho : An central engine and two seats like in the predecessors .

BTW : I intent to alter drawing 1 and  to reconstruct the original plan with the 451 engine . No cam fairings but 2 or 3 straight rows of louvres ( long louvres only can be seen if there´s a straight sheet on all racing cars of that time ) , with a double fairing like on the late 805 ´s, an central engine and propulsion drive , two seats  and an symmetrical opening on the bodywork similar to drawing 2 . This could be quite interesting . Maybe someone will  build this version as a model in the future .

It could possibly also show  that the progenitor of modern racing cars " 806 with 426 engine"  was an unwanted child  and was created by chance , new GP-rules and the fact that the 451 concept failed .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hannes said:

BTW : I intent to alter drawing 1 and  to reconstruct the original plan with the 451 engine . No cam fairings but 2 or 3 straight rows of louvres ( long louvres only can be seen if there´s a straight sheet on all racing cars of that time ) , with a double fairing like on the late 805 ´s, an central engine and propulsion drive , two seats  and a symmetrical opening on the bodywork similar to drawing 2 . This could be quite interesting . Maybe someone will  build this version as a model in the future .

That, my friend, is exactly what I'm hoping to achieve with the kit and my planned 451 engine......watch this space!:D

Great minds think alike!

Cheers, H

• Like 1

This photo of an 805 shows us that the gap between the 805 and the early 806 was  possibly not too big ( beside the " sandwiched " engine )

I can imagine a very similar fairing for the first version . Also note the almost identical  steering wheel ( without gap ) and it´s suspension .

The fairing´s inside and the bodywork part below are not painted and I guess it was the same on the 806 .

I hope this photo will be helpful for you , dear Harvey !   Hannes

• Like 1

Dear Harvey,

did i read 'heart surgery' somewhere while catching up ? 

gee welcome back to the thread and your legendary scratch build.

Hope you feel 20 years younger now at least.

warmest 

Sam

• Thanks 1

Good afternoon all, from the "play-pen"!:D

Work continues on the fuel tank. Instead of carving a buck to shape the top, I simply used up some old filler on the bottom and sanded to shape.

28817676598_8cfa5e1984_h.jpg

42642148252_02060e11c3_h.jpg

After making a paper template, I transferred it onto my steel and cut to shape with kitchen scissors.

Forming the initial half-cone shape was easily achieved with fingers..... then the fun part; annealing and beating!!!:evil_laugh:

Unfortunately, my butane torch couldn't reach the desired temperature for long enough to do the job!!! ( note to self...buy a propane torch!) So, it was just a beating, then! 

After a few???? hours of tap, tap, tapping, I was almost there.  The 2 right-angled cut-outs of the axle arch would NOT conform, though, so a couple of cuts and a bit of solder did the job, instead.

42642149842_dbc6241b41_h.jpg

27822509287_5180c88b63_h.jpg

42691392541_9e94f99089_h.jpg

41972899494_5d14dc8cbe_h.jpg

41972900474_fba2f194ee_h.jpg

27822533887_847543ab6b_h.jpg

So, that's where things stand at the moment. 

I will get the tank soldered together, a bit later, then give it a good fettling!!

More soon, chaps. Thanks for watching!

Cheers, H

• Like 5

Great work , dear Harvey ! It looks like polyester filler from the car supply and that´s my favorite filler too  . You´re doing sculptural works ! BTW : A big diamond file is the best  tool for filing filler imho . That reminds me :I´ll have to construct a  copy of the frontal bodywork because I don´t intent to build the new fairing  directly on my model .

Casting procedures will be necessary for that ( clay , maybe silicone caoutchouc ) .  Plaster will be possibly the material for this copy .

Great progress !   Hannes

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hannes said:

It looks like polyester filler from the car supply

No, it's just decorator's poly-filla! Purely for form, not strength.

I could easily remove it, but, I like the weight. It will nicely balance out the weight of the engine (when complete)…...we wouldn't want her sitting funny, would we???:lol:

Thank you btw!

Cheers, H

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, PROPELLER said:

Great job Harvey!

But it would be easier with brass and better with coper... Once painted, it's the same thing!

Thank you Dan! I agree, brass/copper would have been far easier, but I would prefer not to paint, as I always mess it up!:lol:

Ok then, I am now pleased to present a newly complete and installed fuel-tank. I added a few "rivet" strips to give it a bit of interest/detail, then a couple of brown/black washes to bring the detail out.

41072114250_eb91d0a1e1_h.jpg

41981832125_89ec16fd8b_h.jpg

42881973431_d0b79201f5_h.jpg

42833838652_36e9bc045e_h.jpg

42833839452_3d5a510b19_h.jpg

42833840402_d334b34d6d_h.jpg

I'm pleased with the outcome!! She's now gaining some substance....and it feel's good!!!

Hope you enjoy and thanks again for your continued support!

Cheers, H

• Like 6

A wonderful work , dear Harvey !  These pictures will stay in our minds .You should think about an easy to remove bodywork because it would be a shame if all these beauties will vanish later on .

Great work !  Hannes

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps!

1 hour ago, Hannes said:

You should think about an easy to remove bodywork because it would be a shame if all these beauties will vanish later on .

The bodywork will be attached by several bolts, so everything will be removeable if needed, but in all honesty, once she is fully clothed, she will remain that way. I have all the pictures to remind me of the internals, when I feel the urge!

Cheers, H

• Like 1