Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Hi everyone.

Due to a slight case of "man-flu" this week I didn't make any progress on the 806....:sorry: Feeling OK now, so an update will be shown next week!!

Pascal......It's an honour to receive such praise!! Thank you, Sir!

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:59 AM, Hannes said:

On drawing 5 we can see that they were quadrangular similar to the rest of the exhaust . Protar / Italeri designed round branches , but -as we all know - we can´t trust them at all .

Thank you for your observation, Hannes. I think that was just the artist's interpretation to be honest with you. The engine blueprints clearly show round exhaust-ports, so I see no reason for square pipes. While I know the distrust of P/I design, I think they do have it correct on this (rare) occasion!

Cheers, H

• Like 2

Dear Harvey , I want to wish you health and recovering ! Regarding the pipes : Most likely you are right and there were round branches . But : Engine drawing 5 is not correct regarding the exhaust ports . There are triangular flanges and we can see  a small part of the exhaust  which does not look similar to the original .

If you look at the photo of the last remaining part of the engine you can see check-shaped flanges!

I suppose some details were altered when the real engine was constructed .  I cannot see any suspension on the compressor for instance .

Like drawing 1 engine drawing 5 is a pre- design imho and unfortunately all later drawn  altering plans were destroyed .

I´m about to adapt my bonnets to the bodywork and radiator case . Lots of filler works and lots of dust ! ( cough , cough ) I hope I can show some pics soon .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

Waooh Harvey, it is a long time I had not put an eye on your thread, focused on my own build, but what to say in front of so much talent and skills? As every follower here, I am just  taped by what you show us.

Hats off my friend !

Olivier

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon to you all!!

Well, as promised, it's update time!:D

With many, many thanks to Nick for his wonderful line drawings, I have now fabricated the frontal support structure ( 2mm square brass rod, soldered of course). This now gives me a solid datum-point to work from for the rear structure and radiator assembly.

27148340917_442a7f25d7_h.jpg

27148341377_e60b5ed7b7_h.jpg

27148342447_ebe5b2a502_h.jpg

27148343617_621a5bd4c1_h.jpg

27148344737_81e5a0cf1b_h.jpg

I have also started to construct the kit ( I still hate plastic btw:lol:) in preparation for the 451/2 engine that I plan to build and install.

That's all for now, folks!

Thank you all for watching!

Cheers, H

• Like 8

A fine and solid construction , dear Harvey ,well done !  In my opinion it´s the right time for starting with the bodywork construction .

In the last days I did a lot of correction works like  alterings on the chassis  and replacing thick sheets . I hope these time-consuming works  will pay in the end and my good advice is a follows : Leave your outer hull construction open for corrections as long as possible ! There are always unpredictable new perspectives which require flexibility !   Great work !  Hannes

• Like 1

Harvey,

Glad to be of assistance. Good to see the build exploring the third dimension.

Hannes,

2 hours ago, Hannes said:

There are always unpredictable new perspectives which require flexibility

You are wise my friend. I feel I am at the point where I can finalise my version of the lines. I haven't found big errors but there will be, how to put it, "adjustments".

Regards

Nick

• Like 2

Thank you all!

10 hours ago, PC2012 said:

Brilliant Harvey 😁

It's a pleasure to have you along for the ride, mate!:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, nikkita katana said:

I got distracted by the recent sunshine and have been making brass flowers. Flux paste is my new favourite thing!!!  :D

What you reeeeeally mean is...you've become rather addicted to the lure of your new flame-thrower, haven't you??!!:lol: It's great fun!!

7 hours ago, Codger said:

Now crack the whip on these guys! :whip:

Things HAVE been a bit quiet around here lately....C'MON GUYS>>>>>'FINGER OUT!!:thumbsup:

Cheers, H

• Like 1

On 11/05/2018 at 21:08, harveyb258 said:

addicted to the lure of your new flame-thrower, haven't you??!!:lol: It's great fun!!

Not got the hang of that yet Harvey. Soldering iron was for joining bits, flame thrower seems perfect for dismantling everything!!! :D

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody!

Time for a (delayed) update...I should have done this at the weekend, but a wee-bit of heart surgery prevented that! Sorry!:D Anyway, all went well, so here I am!

A while back, I removed the fuel-tank support structure because I didn't think it was correct. Now that I'm "exploring the 3rd dimension" (nice one Nick!), I made a start on prototype B.

Here's how things stand at the moment....

41577646404_9f7bf73afd_h.jpg

27429708667_737620b711_h.jpg

27429711057_54d55f8b14_h.jpg

27429712657_5c3359d193_h.jpg

27429714427_a68ae5101b_h.jpg

27429715517_24fe73b4be_h.jpg

I was originally going to do each rivet with brass or aluminium wire...time's too short for that, so I cheated. I used the tip of my scriber on the reverse of the 0,3mm ally plates to gently "push" the rivets out. I found that my cutting-mat was the perfect medium to receive the dimples. As you can see by the pics, you get the inevitable slight ridge along the rivet line, but with finger and thumb it can be gently stroked out (still in progress). The beauty of this method is that if you use a metal tube and roller them flat, they're perfect for the many hundreds of flat-rivets on this car!! Time saved: approx. 2yrs :lol:

More to come at the weekend...hope you enjoy!

Thanks for watching guys.

Cheers, H

• Like 8

I´m glad to hear that the operation was a  success , dear Harvey ! All the best for your health  ! And it´s good to see you working again .

It´s a plausible construction and the tank will be grateful for getting such a  nice support. Heads up and enjoy life !

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/05/2018 at 11:21, harveyb258 said:

I'm having a ball with this project

Dear Harvey, 

I had to go on my Reverso translator because I didn't know what it meant. Thanks to you, I learnt a new english expression. 

Btw, me too, I'm having a ball with my Mustang...😊

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hannes said:

I´m glad to hear that the operation was a  success , dear Harvey ! All the best for your health  ! And it´s good to see you working again .

I 100% join Hannes here, dear Harvey, and I take advantage of it to, again, tell you my admiration for this amazing work you do!

All the best

Olivier

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1