Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Like Little Andi´s interpretation  Mario´s 806 is a mixture of  great craftmanship and not so great observation . Both models deserve respect regarding their artistic attempts . Personally I prefer the representation of reality because reality is more exciting than fantasy imho .This does not mean that we need to show every ugly wrinkle of this old racer when working in 1 : 12 scale  !  An 1:8 model requires  much more high fidelity and I´m not sure if we have enough informations for that .Luca di Montezemolo´s attempt to reconstruct the car in 1 : 1 failed as we all know ...

Hannes

• Like 1

Hi guys!! 

Thankfully, I'm back after a weekend of being denied access to my favourite site! Have any of you guys had any issues logging in???

Ok then, update time.

First up, I drilled 1mm holes for the oil pipe connections, then a 4mm hole through the block to take the 4mm (brass tube) front mount. This was an exceedingly tight fit, so no fixing required. For the rear mount, I attacked the block with a small round file until the desired groove was achieved to inlay the brass tube. This was attached with solder and torch.

Again, I used a clamp from front to back plate. This is a vital heat-sink to prevent any melting of previous work.

The groove was then smeared with flux and the tube was inset. A length of 0,5mm mm solder wire was then laid on each side of the tube. I didn't want to put direct heat into the block (for obvious reasons), so, using the blow-torch on quite a low flame, I held the flame approx. 1-2mm above the brass tube, gently moving side to side for about 15secs and the solder melted, creating a solid bond requiring no clean up ( apart from washing off any flux residue).

Moving on to the bottom plate and its webbing (if that's the term?). Using (what else???) 0,5mm nickel sheet, I cut the plate and six 2mm strips. Corresponding 0,5mm slots were then cut into the block with a hacksaw. Before I placed the strips, I cut a bevel around the wood block. That done, I didn't have any thicker solder wire than my 0,5mm stuff, so I twisted a length together and placed in the bevels. That done, I fluxed the plate and clamped everything together.

This time, again with the torch, but on a higher flame, I could heat the baseplate directly from underneath until the solder reached the outside...minimal clean-up required.

41363256861_93984e33aa_h.jpg

41363256671_e227ed381d_h.jpg

41363256381_c3f798fda3_h.jpg

41363256071_45e347d63e_h.jpg

41363255451_7fad1d6f75_h.jpg

26491591937_20f11aafcb_h.jpg

39553651680_a84a7b3c2b_h.jpg

41363255771_aadd2168c1_h.jpg

That's all for now, folks!! Hope you enjoy! Clutch-housing next!!

As always, thanks for watching!

Cheers, H

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody!

A small pictorial update on the clutch-housing for your perusal....I think the pics speak for themselves!:D

39608648370_2a309ea3fb_h.jpg

39608649430_5f54147b65_h.jpg

39608650220_01c5a07494_h.jpg

39608651300_6c3da32c94_h.jpg

39608651990_b6aca40383_h.jpg

41375188392_9ab528173c_h.jpg

41375190262_a7a6f0e9c3_h.jpg

So, that's where things stand at the moment. I hope you like.  More to come after the weekend ( I'm 50 on Sunday!):beer:

Thanks for watching!

Cheers, H

• Like 8

I´ve been separated from britmodeller for 4 days , browser problems . Happy birthday,dear  Harvey  ! My own will be in one week  so we´re close together regarding our dates of birth ! Your engine looks great and I look forward to new progresses .  I´ve been busy too and I will show some pics this weekend .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Thanks 1

Many, many thanks guys and gal!!:D

Hannes, if you don't mind me asking..what day is your birthday? I won't ask your age, we're all still kids at heart...that's what matters!! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

4 hours ago, nikkita katana said:

Does anyone actually know where all the time goes?? :D

Yes.....on your knees, battling the carpet-monster for that tiny little piece that's taken over a week to create. The *&^% always seems to win!

Cheers, H

• Haha 1

Dear Harvey when I was a teen in 1967 I bought the " Sergeant Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band " Beatles  album . There was a song called " When I´m sixty four ."

"When I get older , loosing my hair , many years from now..." At that time I asked myself if I will reach that age and how the world looks in the future . . .

At the 20th of April I will know . Unfortunately John and George were not allowed to reach that age .

Many greetings and have a very nice time !   Hannes

The best stash for the tiny pieces are the cat-head shaped boxes which contained  cat´s food . The opaque cap also allows a view at  what´s inside . My cats love the fact that I buy a lot of these boxes !   Hannes

• Haha 1

Hannes, You can spend £100's on cat toys and they look at you like you've gone daft!! All they want to play with is the box they came in and that tantalizing bit of dangling sellotape on the side!!!:lol: Bless 'em!!  I LOVE that song btw;  I yearn for the old days, y'know; Things were so much simpler back then.

51 minutes ago, nikkita katana said:

Still doesn't save much time searching for dropped bits though.

Especially when you can't find your glasses!:whistle:

Cheers, H

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, harveyb258 said:

Especially when you can't find your glasses

Which are usually sat right next to me somewhere.

As for cats!!!

My lodger only ever eats half of what you buy for him so all the half eaten pots and packets in the fridge just get binned.

Life is definitely too short to tidy up his recycling!! :D

• Like 2

On page 4 of this thread you can see one of these boxes . I suppose you can buy it in the UK as well .It´s junkfood for cats and my dear dog Alma is also very interested ! I don´t know what kind of cat-drugs were added !  Hannes

• Haha 1

Happy Birthday dear Harvey, what a feast in model making you are giving us, bless you. 

May the Almighty always give you the eyes, brains and power to do what you like for many many years forward and may you enjoy each of them with your loved ones, including your cats.

• Thanks 1

Dear Sam, 

Many, many thanks for your kind words, matey. I just hope that my eyes can cope with going back to 1:20 scale to repair and complete my Cooper T-51 when this is finished!!  It's in it's 4th yr of creation now, so it has to be finished!!!!!!!!

Good afternoon to all.

A bit of an update for you. The clutch/bell-housing is now almost finished. I soldered it all yesterday and today has been some preliminary clean-up to see what's what! I must say, I'm VERY happy with how things stand...

40626055135_4bd84e2659_h.jpg

27648620528_a46b71caad_h.jpg

27648621488_757efcf8c2_h.jpg

41478088172_445574627b_h.jpg

41478090152_8d3a96927c_h.jpg

39710261010_a7df25378b_h.jpg

That's all for now, folks!! More soon...:D

Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy!!

Cheers, H

• Like 8

Great craftmanship , dear Harvey ! The whole engine looks fantastic . There´s just one issue I will do in a different way : In my opinon there was no frontal suspension on the crankshaft case . I think  this was an invention of Protar .My solution will be  a suspension on the very massive compressor case hanging below  the second cross-member ( inside the radiator case )  Great work !   Hannes

• Like 2