Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

On 8/14/2017 at 6:48 AM, Olivier de St Raph said:

I am sure your 806 will be amazing like that

Many thanks Olivier...I hope I don't disappoint!

A bit more progress on the chassis for you guys. Having temporarily bolted the frame together to get a more stable construction, I set-about the engine-mounts, using the kit's block as the start point.

For the rear-mounts, I used 0,3mm tin for the angle bolted to the frame and 0,5mm nickel-silver for the plate. The main part of the plate has to run parallel to the centre-line of the chassis, while the rest follows the taper towards the front. To realise this, I cut about 95% across each piece and then twisted to the angle required. The 0,3mm tin was then formed into an angle and the taper cut. It was then just a matter of soldering the pieces together.

Voila....

35782000333_85f997813f_h.jpg

36453340051_b36a6773ca_h.jpg

36453340401_d82a721c3e_h.jpg

Next, I drilled these and the engine (exactly same place) for the cross-beam, then put them together and sat  the unit on the rails. To get the block dead-level, the front mounts had to be drilled a bit lower and slightly forward of the kit's solution. Once satisfied with the positioning etc, I set about filing the plates to a better shape and adding the flanges.

35755956004_494a41a0db_h.jpg

36453340921_c4590a5ae5_h.jpg

36422738682_3957f30f68_h.jpg

36453349321_fe1e009f27_h.jpg

35782027073_890e3a0e09_h.jpg

Still quite a bit more refinement needed, but, overall, I'm happy with the progress made so far!

Thank's for watching guys....I hope you like!!!!:D

Cheers, H

• Like 7

Very nice, Harvey! A real master craftsman work! I am not used to see such approachs in model making, me the plastic modeler being lately converting to metal modeling. The parts born between your hands, the soldering has no secret for you (for me, yes!). Go on my friend, I am sure you won't desappoint us! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!! 

Time for an update on proceedings. Firstly, I remade the right-hand side engine mount, to include the steering stops.

36742139210_4efdfb86ad_h.jpg

I then set about making the lower parts.with 0,5mm  nickel-silver sheet.

36303723314_7aad249679_h.jpg

36303724304_52a716191d_h.jpg

37139992595_289c99277a_h.jpg

37139993805_406bd1615c_h.jpg

37139994845_678ce8f030_h.jpg

Painted and bolted in place with M0,8 nuts/bolts.....

37139995515_2c86269c79_h.jpg

37139997165_26d8499aa9_h.jpg

37139998375_af92a1e7cb_h.jpg

Still very prototypical at the moment and these parts may have to be re-made or tweeked, but that's all part of the fun!!:D

Hope you enjoy and thanks for watching.

More soon!

Cheers, H

• Like 7

Great work , dear Harvey ! A single detail that´s not yet correct imho . The engine suspension on the left side should look like on drawing 2 imho . For the right side the quadrangular plate  was necessary as support for the steering drop-link. Engine drawing 4 shows there´s a smaller ( pentangular ) plate on the left side ! Sheets like for the brackets on the right side most likely were not mounted on the left side .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Dear Hannes, thank you.The left-side triangular flange must  have the same geometry as the opposite side for weight transference etc. Don't forget, drawing 2 is probably the following years car ( that, sadly, was never meant to be). On the right-hand side I have not yet drilled for the steering support....that will be some time in the near future when that area is finalised. You have good eyes my friend! I know I can count on you to not let me forget any single detail along the journey........thank you now and in advance!:D

Thank you Olivier, I hadn't left my bench, but "outside-pressures" (life etc lol) sometimes mean very little meaningful time at the bench to actually achieve something....hope that doesn't sound too mad!:mental:

On 9/10/2017 at 5:31 PM, Codger said:

Take your time, beautiful work mate.

C

Thank you Mr C.......coming from you, I take that as a thorough compliment.I hope you keep following!

Dr.Fiat.... thank you, I'm glad you like! Welcome along for the ride!

Cheers, H

• Like 3

Dear Harvey , the plates had to carry the weight of the engine  and the duty of the triangular  flanges was to hold the tubes in place and they were connected with the flanges of the tubes imho . It doesn´t matter how the triangular flanges were mounted imho ( look at the different vertical  lenghts of the flanges on engine drawing 4 ! It´s due the different mounting points ! )  and there was no symmetrical situation at all . One tube was longer , the other one shorter . I´m convinced there were 2 different plates . Engine drawing 5 was drawn on 7. of february 1927 as far I can see and the relevant engine drawing 4 most likely for our car and not for the successor . An indication could be the schematic representation of the plates and flanges .

We see the left plate ´s upper end where the triangular flange ends . The right plate is shown as an open construction . In my opinion it was not yet known where exactly the steering case with it´s very massive rod and drop-link was situated . Engine drawing 4 is a perspective  seen from the driver´s view ! ( different lenght of the tubes )

Why there should be a great quadrangular plate on the left side . I was watching our movie again and my impression was the same as on photo 4 B  : There´s no 90 degree angle between the chassis rail and the suspension plate . On the right side it is !

It´s too bad we don´t have better photos of the left side . I´m sure , somewhere on this planet there are photos which could answer our questions . 

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening chaps!

Despite having a heart-attack a couple of weeks ago (major shock to the system:yikes: I can tell you), I have made some good progress on the chassis!

1..First things first....the frame had developed a bit of twist due to not being placed in a jig and held securely while being worked on, so a very simple jig was made.

2..  I wasn't totally happy with the lower mounts, so re-made them both.

3..  I then made the front engine-mounts. As previously, these were made from 0,5mm nickel-silver and detailed with M0,8mm nuts and bolts.

4..The cross-beams were then finalised and soldered to their respective flanges. These were painted with AK true-metal (gun metal) and bolted in place.

5.. Finally, I worked on the rearmost beam that carries the leaf-springs. The tapered ends were hand-turned using a pin-vice and a file. Painted as above.

I now have an extremely stable chassis!!!:yahoo:

36787032773_ec78c8f04f_h.jpg

36787030043_616e773d7e_h.jpg

36787033813_24eac62e78_h.jpg

36787029303_d18a4815fe_h.jpg

37409519136_a7d9c43ebd_h.jpg

37199644080_e634b7fc2a_h.jpg

37199643800_54193a206a_h.jpg

36787035253_dd0f9b85a4_h.jpg

37456868011_80f0561d68_h.jpg

37199608330_f8d2e90a7e_h.jpg

I'm now waiting for a hardware delivery, hence the absence of quite a few bolts lol!

Well, that's all for now folks! I hope you enjoy....I know am!!:winkgrin:

Cheers, H

• Like 6

Wow wow that's some shocking news. Hope you are doing okay now and no lasting damage was done! 

Of secondary importance by an extreme distance, but your model starts to look really nice and I like the way you're planning this as well as securing internal rigidity and alignment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Harvey,

Well that puts things into perspective. Hope you are well on the mend.

Chassis is looking great. I'm still trying to understand why one photo does not line up when the others do. Your engine brackets look good. As usual Hannes' diagram above looks right to me apart perhaps from the steering limiter bracket. I had assumed it was a single bracket not two as shown above. However, I am usually wrong when Hannes draws something and I disagree. So I'll go and have another quiet look.

Keep up the good work and again, I hope you are OK

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about this!  I missed the dreaded heart attack by a mere days when my cardiologist fixed a 90% blockage in my LAD by way of a stent.....at age 46!  Take care of yourself, and keep us updated on this and the progress on this growing work of art:)

Darin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Harvey , I just had to learn about your heart attack . I want to wish you all the best for your recovery ! You know , you can count on me if there is a need for discussion regarding your construction .

And I´m sure your two lovely cats will help you to become  completely healthy again .

Many greetings !  Hannes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Hannes for your kind wishes! A COMPLETE lifestyle change after 35yrs+of being "on one" aint gonna be easy:mental:, that's for sure!! But, looking on the bright side...at least I'm getting more time at the bench!!:thumbsup:

My pussies help immensely....quality control lol!

I made the under-floor brace yesterday, so will post progress tomorrow as I haven't got time tonight!

Cheers, H

• Like 2