Sopwith Camel Scheme 13 Squadron RNAS

TheLurker

Chaps1,

Anyone got any colour images or other scheme info.  for 13 RNAS, later 213 RAF, Camels?  The google-fu is weak with this one.

Currently building VMC's kit, nooo it's not styreen2,  and will be covering it soon(ish) and wanted to check some details about the cowling and other non-linen surfaces.

Ta.

Lurk.

1. I'm sure there must be women who build models, but I've never met any.
  2. Australian for plastic, or so I'm told. :D 

Offhand I don't have anything, but maybe try google images of the aces from the squadron, as listed here?  The pilots are further linked to what they flew, and at least gives the airframe serials:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/services/gbritain/rnas/13n.php

I think too the demise of photo bucket will put a dampner on image searches.  I found one via google image from the flight sim game Rise of Flight, just can't view the image from the actual page:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=riseofflight+13+RNAS&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjgyKKYm7zVAhWh7YMKHSxbBMIQ_AUICygC&biw=1168&bih=910#imgrc=7KKlgQgkKLZosM:

regards,

Jack

Thanks for those.  I'm not too concerned about serials and fine detail just want to get the "flavour" right.  Weight is at a premium and there are a already number of small compromises in the design's appearance for the sake of good flying characteristics so I'm not going to go all "rivet-counter" on it.  Really only need to confirm the larger visual aspects like whether the engine cowling is NMF or painted and what sort of colour, exact shade not required, the fuselage around the cockpit is.  

Edited by TheLurker

Have you already come across this image?

sopwith_camel.jpg

It's from the 213 Sqn Association website.

It at least tells you that one Camel didn't have nmf cowling etc. and the wooden cladding around the cockpit looks to be the varnished wood finish. I can't tell if the fuselage underside was CDL or PC10.

Edited by Twobad
Correct autocorrect!

On 09/08/2017 at 22:15, Twobad said:

Have you already come across this image?

It's from the 213 Sqn Association website.

I hadn't.  Thanks.

On 09/08/2017 at 22:15, Twobad said:

It at least tells you that one Camel didn't have nmf cowling etc. and the wooden cladding around the cockpit looks to be the varnished wood finish. I can't tell if the fuselage underside was CDL or PC10.

That's a relief. :) Been too busy building to visit here over the last day or so and have already committed to (and finished) the cowling in olive green which from that image looks like it'll be "good enough".  The fuselage underside will be finished in the best approx. to PC10 that the supplied tissue gives - although I do have enough spare tissue to go for CDL.  Hmm decisions, decsions.  The underside of the wings are CDL, well a very pale creamy-yellow approximation thereto.  Except the stab which is now ~PC10 top and bottom cos I'm not going to go back and re-cover the incorrect ~PC10 underside;  that can wait until the inevitable hedge landing. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Aviation artist John Ficklen painted one of the 4 Camels flown by David Ingalls while he was attached to 213; he worked with Ingalls, who autographed the print edition. He'd said that all of his planes were 'plain, very plain'. The Osprey Naval Aces book shows another, even plainer--one pair of serials on the vertical stabilizer in gray.

$_57.JPG

Just happened to come across a picture of a 213 squadron aircraft in Cross and Cockade Vol.2 No.1 from 1971 and it has two pictures of Camel B7175 flown by L. H. Slatter. The aircraft appears to be generally plain except that it has a diagonal around the fuselage from close to the start of the tail and sloping down towards the front just behind the lower wing  which appears to be red white and blue with a thin white line at either side. I don't know if anyone has a digital copy of these photos, if not I can try and scan or photograph them. There are no fuselage cockade which the caption says was common to all 213 squadron camels at that time.

The diagonal red white blue strips were apparently the flight leaders designation in 213 with deputy flight leaders having vertical Red white blue stripes and other flight members would have their flight number where the cockade would usually be on the fuselage.

Lastly an off-centre circle (encompassing the inspection cover) on the wheel is painted in what I would guess to be white on a coloured wheel cover was a marking employed by Flight commander Slatter and all members of his flight.

• Like 1

Just given it a closer look and the wheel covers actually appear to be cockades , blue with an offcentre white almost touching the edge of the hub opposite the inspection port and then a red centre almost touching the edge of the white circle opposite the inspection port. It is worth noting as well that the stripes on the fuselage appear to be in the opposite order to the recognition stripes on the tail, i.e. red at the forard end and blue at the rear end of the band.

• 4 weeks later...

@Beardie @tomcervo 

Thanks for those gents.  Hadn't checked this thread since early Aug so hadn't seen your replies.  Thanks for digging around.  If you're interested the finished article can be found on page two of the build record VMC's Sopwith F1.  Not one for rivet counters; the main aim is to get something that looks reasonably prototypical and flies.  

I managed to drop and lose the noseblock & prop. in long grass a week or so back before I'd finished trimming it so I'm building a new block *sigh*, but the third trimming clip shows that she will fly pretty well.

Edited by TheLurker