What miniatures did you purchase lately?

Schwarz-Brot

Nothing at the moment Vince. I had one of the sets years ago with two Vought Corsairs in a vignette. I may do something similar. The tractor is missing from one set, but I got them for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found a holy grail I didn't even know existed. It's an old 54 mm kit from the 1970s of Eowyn fighting the witch king, made by Squadron/Rubin. I looked up this manufacturer and they made a few weird 54 mm fantasy kits, but this one is so fantastic. It's my favourite figure scale and one of my top 5 favourite moments in the Lord of the Rings. I got it at a recent model show/contest vendor table, you never know what you'll find at a model show.

IMG_7532

IMG_7529

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, pure gold! Where did you dig out this one? I absolutely love it...

I also have a nazgul from GWs LotR range, which is on my table since I initially got it. While the miniatures shape is great it is really hard to paint for the lack of surface detail.

9 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Wow, pure gold! Where did you dig out this one? I absolutely love it...

I also have a nazgul from GWs LotR range, which is on my table since I initially got it. While the miniatures shape is great it is really hard to paint for the lack of surface detail.

I bought it at a vendor's table at a models show, and felt pretty lucky to find it. The GW nazgul on the fell beast looks like an impressive model.

I get what you say about the big surface areas without much detail. I'm going to use an airbrush to try adding depth and variation.

My first try was with brush, recreating the box art / the then new movies. Worked ok, but the snake-like body has next to no texture. While this shadow like appereance works great in the movies it does not look too impressive as a static model. Trying to highlight a nearly black miniature without texture didn't work out too well either. So it went to the shelf of doom for several years until I restarted using my airbrush. Now it is in black primer again and partly started with a little green and red worked into the wings to go for a generic fantasy dragon look. Not too happy with this either, as it is not what one expects. This model is easily recognizable, so the movie colours are kind of a must.

Next I'll try a pure black and white version with only a little colour bleeding in from the edges of the base, so a more arty look. We'll see where this leads me.

39 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

My first try was with brush, recreating the box art / the then new movies. Worked ok, but the snake-like body has next to no texture. While this shadow like appereance works great in the movies it does not look too impressive as a static model. Trying to highlight a nearly black miniature without texture didn't work out too well either. So it went to the shelf of doom for several years until I restarted using my airbrush. Now it is in black primer again and partly started with a little green and red worked into the wings to go for a generic fantasy dragon look. Not too happy with this either, as it is not what one expects. This model is easily recognizable, so the movie colours are kind of a must.

Next I'll try a pure black and white version with only a little colour bleeding in from the edges of the base, so a more arty look. We'll see where this leads me.

Now I want to paint mine but I have too many other models on the go.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up some more AWI Warlord kits to go with the already finished AWI Hessian regiment figures,the online dealer I get these kits from are selling these off very cheap,and I have seen some great built kits on youtube,will have some fun painting the Indians and the Militia men.Cheers.

tn_d1e4f5f2-142c-46a0-8ce9-c4ff42ae41a2.tn_e0635f1e-c191-42b4-8986-05c30d810060.

• Like 3

Postman Pat turned up at our place today with a couple of orders I've been hopping from foot to foot while worrying that they don't get "lost in the post".

RP Models 75mm resin version of the Icini Queen's 2HP Coupe GTi circa 61AD came from the UK. The box was a bit bashed but thankfully there was no damage to the contents.

This is a longer term project while I'm waiting for certain other sets to be delivered.

03. BGTi_23-Apr-2019

Of more immediate interest are these two 75mm wee resin beauties that came direct from Chronos Miniatures in Russia.

04. DV1 & DV2_23-Apr-2019

I had a close look at the castings tonight, and they're exquisite.

05. DV1 & DV2_23-Apr-2019

Cutting them free of those casting blocks won't pose much of a problem, but I'm really scared at the thought of breaking off those extremely delicate fingers.

I'll just have to be very careful during the cleanup and assembly process, I guess.

06. DV1 & DV2_23-Apr-2019

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 3

Got these today from Japan, 1/20 Nausicaa and 1/32 WW1 German aviation figures with a dachshund.

KrMimOYP_443wLyo4ZG5nenCjq4nRl2l4mPkQvzR

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 3:59 AM, Jim Wasley said:

Picked up a few new figures and box sets to kick off the New Year and keep me out of the mid-day sun,figures are WarHammer,28mm Dark Elder Reavers cool looking speed bikes,still trying to figure what colour to paint them,and another cool looking one with plenty of eyes,Gaunt Summoner.A War Hammer box set Delaque Gang,like the leather coats and pale white washed faces,

Those are all cool choices, I have the old Delaques and the new ones creep me out!

20253024699_50e821650e_z.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how your Reavers come out, the traditional paint is quite dark for those, but they did some interesting bright "gang colour" versions when they issued them in a mini boxed game. 

I've prepped a load of them but they're in quite a few parts still as I wasn't sure if I could paint them otherwise. Another project I need to come back to eventually :)

I have recently acquired these guys:

and also Leena Stormspire as our GW has finally re-opened in a new and hopefully-less-vulnerable-to-earthquakes location :)

StoreOpening-Mar19-LeenaStormsire1dnr.jp

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Those are all cool choices, I have the old Delaques and the new ones creep me out!

20253024699_50e821650e_z.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how your Reavers come out, the traditional paint is quite dark for those, but they did some interesting bright "gang colour" versions when they issued them in a mini boxed game. 

I've prepped a load of them but they're in quite a few parts still as I wasn't sure if I could paint them otherwise. Another project I need to come back to eventually :)

I have recently acquired these guys:

and also Leena Stormspire as our GW has finally re-opened in a new and hopefully-less-vulnerable-to-earthquakes location :)

StoreOpening-Mar19-LeenaStormsire1dnr.jp

Cheers,

Will

Some cool looking figures you have there Will,should be fun to paint,The paint work WarHammer has makes them look like they are made of bronze.Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Partizan Wargaming Show and acquired these 28mm miniatures; British Line Infantry, Hussars and Light Dragoons out of the Perry camp.

20190519-183435-1.jpg

This was my first visit to a games show and didn't quite know what to expect, what a blast. Having never painted miniatures in this scale, I wanted to see what can be achieved, it can be impressive but can I step up to the mark. The cunning plan is to paint these dudes for the Peninsula ETO but they're not for wargaming but for display only.

Stuart

• Like 2

I too have been to Partizan today, we were running a 28mm Napoleonic game but somehow I forgot to take any pictures. I did get a couple of boxes of Perry plastic Italian Wars figures and some flags and banners though.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...